Opinions on SKS

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by ReconCraftTheta, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

I've been looking at an SKS model at a surplus store in Onieda, and I was wondering if anyone had expirience with them, as in reliability, accuracy, and ease to use. This is coming from the hunter, classic gun nut, and survivalist in me. Any info would be great, thanks!

2. saintsfanbrian

saintsfanbrian Liberty or Death!!!!

Many people swear by them as cheap reliable source of protection and hunting.

I don't personally own one but know many who do and they love them and they are almost as indestructable as the AK.

3. ReconCraftTheta

4. saintsfanbrian

saintsfanbrian Liberty or Death!!!!

No problem. I am sure others will chime in with more personal knowledge but you shouldn't go wrong with one as long as it is in serviceable condition.

5. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I have two and love to shoot either one. I use one for my deer gun and have great luck with it. As long as the ranges are with in the scope of a 30 calb. Around 150 yards or so. They are best as a brush gun for a quick follow up shot. Never had any deer go farther than 30 yards. Shot placement has a lot to do with that. Say what ya want about the heart shot thang, thats fine but a well placed neck shot and they drop like a rock. I like AKs to nothing wrong with them for sure. Price wise $200 up to $400 for a bubbaed SKS where an AK will start around $400 and up. Look for a clean nonpitted bore and a reciver that don't look like its had a ball pin hammer took to it and ya should be fine. Warning! ya can't get just one ;D hey ya gota have a parts one to.

6. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Reliable - A plus
    Accuracy - B
    Ease of Use - A plus

Easy to field strip and clean.

The stripper clips take some practice. If you wiggle the front of the top cartridge while pushing down on the base of the top cartridge they'll slide down great.

They are nearly indestructible and will still fire after much neglect.

7. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

I think the SKS is the best bargain for a semi auto rifle on the market today. If you can get one under $200. Buy it. Consider buying two. Since the trend is for anything that is this well made to double in price pretty quickly. When I first bought an SKS they were selling at about $99 each. I expect them to top out in the $500 range although it may take a few years for them to get there.

These are not rifles to reach out 300 yards, or to shoot competition clover leafs with, but they are rugged, reliable, and effective at +/- 100 yards.

Just in case you wondered if the SKS rifles were suitable for hunting white tail deer - here is my experience using them for that:

God blessed me with my 3rd and 4th deer in 1997 when I was carrying Chinese made SKS using semi jacketed lead point ammo made in Germany and China respectively. Those bullets cost 9 cents each. On the opening day of NY’s southern zone regular deer season I had a tag for one antlered deer and one antlerless deer. I left my home before dawn and decided to hunt just a few hundred yards behind the house as the sun rose. I was hoping to catch deer passing along a deer trail that linked feeding and bedding areas. I stood between two maple trees leaning against the down hill tree and hoping that the other would block me from the sight of any deer uphill on the trail. The sun rose behind me turning the dark to grey and tingeing the sky with pink. I heard fat grey squirrels come down from their nests to search the fallen leaves for acorns and watched them play. One worked his way toward me, climbed a tree about 5 yards away and ran along a branch a few yards over head and into the tree I was leaning against. I saw a partridge hen fly down and feed through my field of vision. Both moved off to my left. My plan was to watch this trail during sunrise, then slowly work my way uphill and southward in an attempt to drive deer to my hunting companions if I didn’t see any. As the morning wore on I continued to hear the squirrels and partridge off to my left but paid little attention as I had seen the small animals already. But when I decided to move I worked my way in that direction walking quietly and cautiously along over the stone wall and from rock to rock to minimize the noise of my foot steps. I had travelled about 50 yards when I heard footsteps ahead of me. Well I thought – it’s waaaay too noisy to be deer but I’ll take a look to see what it is.

Peering down hill I saw not one, but TWO deer. The fork horned buck was following tight behind a doe. He must have heard, smelled, or sensed me because he looked back over his shoulder just as I settled the SKS’s hooded front site post into the V notch of the rear sight on his shoulders. They were +/- 70 yards away from me and about 20 feet down slope. The buck swung his head forward and launched himself into a bound that should have carried him safely out of sight safely behind thick brush – except that his lady friend was squarely in front of his chest mere inches away. He rebounded off her butt and twisted sideways bringing his front shoulder out of alignment with her hind quarters. That was the opening I had been waiting for. She was no longer in the bullet’s path. I sent the 123 grain projectile high into his left side, just over his heart. The bullet angled down and through the offside leg at the elbow.

Stunned by the noise and impact of the buck from behind, the doe wasn’t sure what was going on. I let her go. Somehow it just seemed greedy to drop them both. The buck fell about 5 yards away and was still breathing when I walked up to him for the coup de grace.

On the last day of the same season. I hunted up to the top of the hill and on to the adjacent property. I had attempted stalks on deer bedding at the top of the hill several times since opening morning without success. Each time they went down the hill on the far side as I approached and into thick pines where I could not see them. This time I followed them after I jumped them and tracked them into a stand of pines too thick for me to crawl through. I gambled that they were still in the thick growth and circled the grove to wait for them to emerge. I took a position inside a group of tall straight hardwood trees. It was a park like setting without undergrowth so from behind a large tree 50 yards away I had an unobstructed view of the pine thicket.

I waited patiently. I waited impatiently. I counted all 317 trees within sight. And then I waited longer.

Finally three does emerged from the pines and fed into view browsing on low growth just 50 yards away through the hardwoods. It was the last day of the season and I had a doe tag to fill. Which one should I take? I resolved to take the first one that offered an unobstructed shot. They fed bunched up for several yards until at about 75 yards one of them stepped away from the others offering the opportunity to squeeze a shot between two trees and through her heart. At the sound of the shot she leapt into the air and hit the ground dead. She folded on the spot with the single shot entering through the near side (knocking out an inch sized chunk of rib), then passed through the heart and exited between the ribs of the far side. She collapsed so suddenly that the other does looked at her curiously but did not flee until I began to walk toward them and shooed them away.

When I dressed the doe I found that the bullet had passed cleanly through her heat and the chunk of rib had slashed through the center of the heart horizontally cutting through all four chambers. When I opened her chest cavity warm blood literally poured out. Before I had finished field dressing her a rustle in the leaves and movement caught my eye as a snow white ermine flowed over the brown leaves like liquid silk drawn to the scent of blood. The little carnivore came within 5 yards before it spotted me, reversed direction and disappeared like white furred lightening. That was a very special moment. I felt like I had been visited by a woodland nymph. The memory is even more special because those stately park-like hardwoods were logged off the next spring. I probably had the last hunt of anyone in those old trees.

The Chinese made SKS certainly proved itself as a capable deer rifle with that double harvest. While the range was short (in both cases about 75 yards) I had two clean one shot kills with the bullets passing completely through both deer. I did give a second shot to the buck but it was only to speed his passing, he would have expired with a hole through both lungs rather quickly even without it. The jacketed soft point ammunition worked admirable and I have to believe that most soft point 7.62x39 would perform equally as well at ranges up to 100 yards or slightly beyond. Just how far you are willing to take a shot depends on your experience but I would say that if you practiced the shot and could reliably hit your target, that the SKS is fully capable of cleanly taking white tail deer out to 150 yards.

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I love the darn things,I've had ten or so over the past 25 years and I've only had ONE that gave me trouble,if you ever see SN#7000,0001 out there,leave it to rust!the rest were absoloutely fabulous!

I'd buy a thousand rounds of reloadable ammo or brass,they seem to prefer the American .308 sized slug to the .311.

9. ReconCraftTheta

Thank you!

:DThank you everyone for the great reviews and opinions on this rifle!

Is the bayonet usually included with the rifle, if so, is it hard to sharpen and clean?

10. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Sometimes it's included. If it's the knife type bayonet it can be sharpened. The spike type doesn't need sharpening.

The best use for the bayonet is to extend it and drive it into the ground to hold the rifle upright while you do other things ... in short, it's just extra weight. The spike type make good tent stakes once removed from the rifle.

11. ReconCraftTheta

Thanks. I'd actually look at it for a bit of added fun with rec. shooting with family and friends.

12. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

13. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

IF you're good with tools,you can turn a piece of 3/8" rod into a nifty folding monopod in an evening. :)

14. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I have owned four SKS rifles, and still have two - the 1959-production Chinese military /26\ model and the 70's production Yugo M59/66 with grenade launcher.
    The SKS all, except the Yugo, have chrome-lined chamber and bore, so can tolerate lack of cleaning better than many milsurp rifles. The longer barrel and sight radius, as well as fixed stock, make it generally more accurate in aimed-fire than the AK. A good SKS can give one MOA with good commercial or handloaded ammo. Most owners just use the steel-cased surplus crap - even 'commercial' Wolf, Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammo are made to military specs.
    Reliability is superb - thought he more heavily used Yugos CAN have problems with their gas-valves - all other SKS lack this feature.
    If handloading this caliber, best use .310-.311 bullets - easily available.
    I have not used mine for hunting yet, but would have NO reservations doing so - I just happen to have two good Thutty-thutties that ARE better in that usage.
    I would NOT scope the SKS - I have done so, and have never really seen any increase in accuracy up to 100 yards - if shooting longer, the scope would make it easier for old eyes to see the target though. It's also hard to find a scope mount truly secure without having to bolt it to the reciever side.
    Prices for Norinco SKS was as low as $69 back in 'the day'......
    Now inmy AO, expect to pay $250 to $300 for a basic Norinco or Yugo, more for a Russian.
    I'd say if you want a good shooter, go with Norinco (lighter and handier) or Yugo (heavier, less muzzle jump) - if you want collector value, then it's the Russian or Chinese military "Sino-Soviet" manufacture in mid '50s.
    DO NOT sharpen the blade bayonet - they are not deesigned for it, the bayo is fixed and can't be used as a knife, and any good drill sargent will tell you - the only thing more dangerous than a sharpened bayonet is a Second Louie with a compass! ;)

15. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

everbody has said about all that can be said about the SKS, my $0.02 is just filler...

I've owned one, I had it for 4 years and made a game out of not cleaning it, I shot well over 4000 rounds out of it. It never failed once, I converted mine to take the 30 round snout nosed mags and after 4 years one of them wouldn't feed the last round , other then that never a problem, it was filthy to the point it would have gotten me drummed out of the Corps.

These rifles can be dragged thru a swamp behind you and come out shooting on the other side..

They are the pound for pound , dollar to dollar best semi auto in the world maybe second only to the AK.. they ain't pretty but they do the job with never a whimper.

I shoot Wolf Poly coated ammo for the most part and it too is outstanding ammo, a bit stinky as far as powder goes but oh well...

You won't go wrong buying one.

16. sporto100

sporto100 New Member

The SKS is an absolute "spade" and an invaluable tool in your WTSHTF tool box. I keep one around with a sealed 1120 rd can of Czech surplus for anyone that shows up to my place without a weapon. My go to rifle will be my Robinson Arms XCR in 223. Love it!

That being said.... The SKS was $250 and the 1120 rd case was $199. A reliable rifle accurate out to 200 metres with a 1100 rds for less than $500, priceless! Might also be a great bartering tool amongst friends of course! IMHO.

17. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Nah,I've roasted meat with mine.LOL

K,here's an idea,cut a 1X3" piece of 1/8"steel and spot weld it to the spike and use it for a monopod like on the old Akrisa rifles.

18. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

With few exceptions, rifle bayonets should NEVER be sharpened - makes them more dangerous to the shooter...... ;)

I have swung the SKS bayo down to use as an ersatz monopod!

19. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Beat me to it!! :D We had a couple (his and hers) and the stripper clips always gave me ten tons of grief ... :gaah:

I finally sold mine and got me an AR ... not because there was anything at all wrong with the gun ... I just got tired of fiddling with it. "Operator Error" was what the hubby would say every time I got to messing with it! :gaah:

20. ar15bob

ar15bob ar15bob

own a chinese 30 round mags shoots wolf 762.39great gun shoots like hell the first day I got mine shot it untill the barrel was smokin hot not an ar but shoots threw anything easy to clean requires almost no care