One Second After

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by ComputerGuy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

Just got done reading this on my Kindle. Very riveting. Next is Patriots: Surviving the coming collapse. Hard to get through this one. To many product endorsements it seems. Reads like an infomercial

After that is Lights Out.

Any suggestions?

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Don't let you're kindle battery run out. :p

I also read One Second After and have Patriots and a few others but don't seem to have time to read. Too much gardening and firewood right now.

3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time with "Patriots"... it is terrible and has almost zero plot. Just buy the author's actual how-to book.

"Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling is a great book, probably one of my top five all-time favorites. You won't pick up a ton of info, but it is a great character study of how different people would handle and recover from a world-wide societal collapse. It is actually the first in a series of books, but I think the first three are the best, as they deal with the generation who lives through The Change.

"One Second After" was also a fantastic book; good choice. If you liked that one, I think you would enjoy "Dies the Fire".

4. Hooch

Hooch Well-Known Member

i just started lights out...great read so far!

5. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

IMHO, One Second After is a very well-written, gripping tale based on solid science and a likely scenario.

As America declines and defense and R&D budgets are slashed, America's degraded intelligence capabilities and eroded future-risk defensive capabilites will make an EMP a probable event. One Second After will become even more relavent.

6. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

Thanks everyone. I am going to scrap Patriots and go to Lights.

I am really suffering through this one. Seems like every sentence is "Johnny remembered to have all members of the team use a Max Smart knife which they purchased from Max Smart knives on the internet"

I need a razor blade.

OH Horse, the is no IMHO. Your onionskin is usually right on!!

7. want2bready

want2bready New Member

Desperate times

and Desperate times 2 Gun control

are both books I read last week and have really gotten me thinking. Wondering how likely those scenarios are to happening.

8. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

You could try Alas Babylon and also The Wild Shore and On The Beach. I don't think they match One Second After, but they are without a doubt worth the read.

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

10. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

I checked out 'One Second After'and only got to page 40.It was one scary book.It makes a lot of sense about how fast things go down in a societal breakdown.

11. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

I'll have to get "One second after".

I just read a very good book
    "World made by hand" James Howard Kunstler

Life after some nuclear event, no access to oil. Horse and buggies again, and the strong survive.

12. Rainy13

Rainy13 Well-Known Member

One second after is a great book...Taught me alot. Scared me too.
    Just started reading Lights out.

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

One Second After really is a great book. I didn't like Patriots and I don't know why it has such an "Oprah"-style following. :nuts:

A lot of the other books above are good, such as "Alas, Babylon". "The world ends in Hickory Hollow" is another good post-apocalyptic fiction novel.

14. IndigoLight

IndigoLight Spiritual Prepper

Second that.

15. IndigoLight

I've heard similar comments from many people... this book made them uncomfortable, scared them, they didn't get the happy ending (like a Hollywood movie :rolleyes:).
    This book is very important IMHO.
    It truthfully portraits what would happen with our society, our every day life when/if SHTF. Yes, certain parts made my skin crawl and other parts made me cry. But we need to face our fears and live through the uncomfortable feelings, it is good for our growth as human beings and as preppers ;).

16. IndigoLight

I liked this book as well.
    And I loved his "The Long Emergency".

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  17. dahur

dahur Well-Known Member

Anyone read "Lights out" by David Crawford?
    In prowling Amazon this evening, 200 reviewers loved this book.
    EM attack destroys almost all electrical devices.

18. WinTheMindWinTheDay

WinTheMindWinTheDay Active Member

Third that. I got to the part when they met up with the similar group, and set up phase lines of patrol, etc., and I just lost complete interest. I felt that it was neither informative enough, nor entertaining enough to sit through any longer. The man is a brilliant, knowledgeable man, yes, and has some great ideas, and a pretty good blog. However, Patriots, for a lack of a better word, is stale.

19. preppingsu

preppingsu Active Member

Try 'Last Light' and 'After Light' by Alex Scarrow. Written with a UK perspective in mind.
    I enjoyed both, managed to get hubby to read them but he felt quite depressed after!

20. MichaelK

MichaelK I'm an O- ISTJ Aries rat!

Another good read is Dickenson's "Wolf and Iron", about a young collegian that adopts a tamed wolf in the aftermath of economic colapse.

Another is "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven, about a dinosaur-killer sized asteroid that hits the earth, and how people struggle to survive afterwards.

You can't fault the author's too much for what they are writing, because their stories are based in part on their own experience. Niven is a outer-space science fiction writer, so of course, destruction comes from on-high. Sterling is a mideval history buff, so "Dies the Fire is just a way to recreate a mideval life. I think that's the least plausible of all the story lines. Forchten is a military historian, so of course the lead character in "One Second After" is a military historian who's experience saves everyone from the killer cannibalist horde! Yes, Patriots does read like a product-placement advertisement, but I'd I agree that it's written as a how-to manual in narrative form. The book really goes downhill once the author goes into the conspircy theory of why the Europeans invade.

What you really need to do is read them all and slowly digest and mix them together. All together, they can cooperatively paint a realistic picture of what post-disaster life is likely to be like. There will be people that form support groups to everyones mutual benefit! There will be people so base they are willing to break your child's arm to snatch the last crust of bread out of their hands! Use them all to form your own prepping stratege.