Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever lived in a van before? I have heard you can get them as cheap as 400 dollars then tow it somewhere to live in it. Extra room could be added to a homestead by parking a van up and connecting it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Box vans and or buses, delivery vans, with blown or removed motors, are free, you pay the cost of towing.
I have set them up on concrete blocks before, they work fine, just leave the tires on, no problem.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone ever lived in a van before? I have heard you can get them as cheap as 400 dollars then tow it somewhere to live in it. Extra room could be added to a homestead by parking a van up and connecting it.
I did for a few months in 1993. It was some of the best days of my life. It was never meant as a permanent home though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the early 70's I lived in a 1965 VW camper for 5 months. Cruised up and down the east coast. The best summer I ever had, what a blast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
kinda off topic but i saw a van the other day with a window airconditioner in the back window wired up. It was kinda funny to see.
id imagine you could easily live in on especially if it was just yourself. im not sure how you would heat it though. guess whatever you chose it wouldnt take much of.

·
Greenhorn
96 Posts
I don't see why you can't use a box van to live in... Just make sure you have proper ventilation. A family was killed up here last year because they used a propane heater on a very cold night without proper ventilation.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
OT, but... you can usually find the older, smaller mobile homes for free (you haul), if you have the land, a few of those placed together can make a nice place to live.

the people involved make a home... everything else is just property

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I used to work at a car dealership and we sold a lot of cube vans. One of them was left unlocked and a homeless couple moved into it. They had a bed and couch in there. It was also full of garbage. The salesman threw the back gate up on the cube and there they were bare ass naked. It was a hot summer day.

The customer didn't buy the cube van.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
It was also full of garbage. The salesman threw the back gate up on the cube and there they were bare ass naked. It was a hot summer day.

The customer didn't buy the cube van.
but WHY??? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :D

·
ke4sky
190 Posts
Wind break only, colder than a deep freeze.

I can tell you from experience that a snow cave insulated with pine needle thatch and heated with only a candle lantern is warmer during blizzard conditions than trying to camp in your car, huddling in a GI wool blanket having the window cracked an inch for ventilation while trying to run the engine for the heater. A metal van body is a wind break only and isn't much better than no shelter at all.

·
Greenhorn
96 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a snow cave insulated with pine needle thatch and heated with only a candle lantern is warmer during blizzard conditions than trying to camp in your car, huddling in a GI wool blanket having the window cracked an inch for ventilation while trying to run the engine for the heater. A metal van body is a wind break only and isn't much better than no shelter at all.
Good point, but the OP didn't say where he is from. If you are in TX you really don't have to worry about the snow as much... but then again, it can get super hot in there as well. :p

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can fill all of the void spaces in between the panels and gaps with expanding foam insulation. You could also spray foam the underside as well. It wouldn't cost that much to "insulate" any vehicle. And spray foam in expanded for isn't very heavy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a hilarious story, Canadian! Too funny!
And yeah....why wouldn't they want the van?? LOL

I'm sure there are some sort of rules for living in box cars or what have you....after all, there are rules for everything!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts