Old Green cased Sailor brand Radio gear

Discussion in 'Communications' started by frankd4, Jun 6, 2011.

1. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

I have my grand father’s old Sailor brand radio gear from his old sail boat it is two piece system transmitter and receiver they are heavy green metal cases, I know it’s some kind of ham rig as my grandfather sailed his 52 foot boat around the world and my father would stay in touch with him, I can remember what a big deal it was to be able to talk to him in the south pacific. Does anyone know anything about this gear it still works I need to know if it’s worth hanging on to.

2. oraltool

oraltool Member

I have a buddy who is or was a communications expert in desert storm he says that ham radio's are the only devices that will not fail if we are ever attacked with a EMP bomb, so . . . i guess if it was me I would make sure your radio works and by God keep it for your future or your kids if you have any.

oral,

3. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

You are right about that they are tube sets I have lots of extra tubes and have added a 1KW amplifier that will get the signal out. I have joined a ham club and I am working on getting licensed.

4. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

I envy you.

5. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

call sign KK4CZT

Passed my Technician license test and got my call sign KK4CZT that was the last phase of my preps I was lacking in the coms department, that has now been corrected, good to go.

6. Hotpie

Hotpie Member

That`s great, I`m kd5ueo in cen. La.

7. Halfcrazy

Halfcrazy Member

Congratulations from KB1UAS

8. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

9. Bear667

Bear667 Preppin to live

Congratz on the gear and the license.
    k0mrd in Central IA