Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nice day for baling hay, well, at least it started that way! :D Every once in a while a bale with form in my old Vermeer that isn’t round. The bigger it gets the more out of balance everything gets, the baler will start to bounce. I usually stop and tie the bale off and dump it. If it’s real small (2ft) I’ll dump and unroll it, then rebale the hay. Today it happened just before I was going to tie and dump the roll anyway, just under 5ft in diameter.

It happened so quickly I couldn’t get stopped or tie it off. The latches popped open and out it came… a 700lb mess! I wasn’t happy! :brickwall:

I had to un-roll the roll of hay like a big roll of carpet. The last pic is how far I had to roll it, over 100 yrds. The baler is in the white circle. On the bright side, the farther you roll it the lighter and smaller it gets! ;)

Attachments

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Hay balers are like computers...really great things until they get out of whack!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, anyone who works with hay has this kind of thing happen. I thought this might cheer up someone else’s bad day, lol. We all have them. :)

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
At least it's a round baler...square balers are the devil's playground! I fought an old square baler 30 years ago, and lost. I can work on a helicopter, carburetor, even a transmission now and then, and fix it. I slap gave up on that baler.

It was fixin' to be me or the baler, and it didn't look like it was going to quit any time soon...

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Hay balers are like computers...really great things until they get out of whack!
Worse yet, the new ones have a computer, or 3. Baler we just picked up needs a touchscreen monitor in the cab to function, at least until warranty is up ;). Looks like as much wiring and modules as a new vehicle.

Worst thing is, while they made a couple real improvements, there are several things our 10+ year old all mechanical baler does better.:brickwall:
I don't ever intend to rely on the new one,learned that lesson long ago.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new technology on tractors and equipment is amazing… but without a satellite most of it doesn’t work. My cousin down the road has new JD equipment... runs about 100 head. The equipment saves him so much time and money, allows one man to run such a spread by himself. But the glaring Achilles heel... Seems to escape his attention.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Round balers have a special head ache attached to them, the old narrow belt full mechanical balers while simple only like a narrow moisture content range, and like to either wrap grass around the rollers (a bit too wet, sometimes saves a dusty bale) or the example Cotton showed with the a bit too dry ellipses or just spit it outs. Bear in mind that Cottons baler was state of the art when it was new, maybe 5 years ahead of the competition, yes especially the pricey green guys, then the green guys and more so Hesston got their act together with wide belt monitored balers. IMO Hesston nailed it with their 565 back in the 90s. I thought John Deere really built a great baler until I saw a Hesston work.

Almost any round baler beats a dummy cuber (square) and loose hay is just a lot of manual work.

Modern high tech stuff is too computer controlled, and with the proprietary programing the owner is basically at the dealers mercy

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Worse yet, the new ones have a computer, or 3. Baler we just picked up needs a touchscreen monitor in the cab to function, at least until warranty is up ;). Looks like as much wiring and modules as a new vehicle.

Worst thing is, while they made a couple real improvements, there are several things our 10+ year old all mechanical baler does better.:brickwall:
I don't ever intend to rely on the new one,learned that lesson long ago.
We're doomed, I say, we're doomed!

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
We run a lot of JD equipment, almost all of our tractors etc, but New Holland has had them beat on haying equipment for years, imo. When they got out of the chain balers (which were very much a love/hate proposition) they really built a good baler. Their top end 660, 664, 688 were all essentially the same baler, almost all parts interchangeable.
Like any machine they have their quirks, but with some simple fixes the auto-wrap (all-mechanical) units are incredibly reliable. The only large potential issue, the main shaft de-clutch, is essentially unchanged in the newest model.

Our brand new top of the line specialty crop model with all the bells and whistles has only the tiniest amount of increased real world capacity and it actually can't do some things the old one did without some modifications, and there are some things like twine tying that it simply cannot do as well due to the design.

Not to mention the fact that it needs a significant amount of well regulated DC power (yes I have baled with a faulty alternator before, that is one of the great things about diesels), has fiberglass shields, etc.

But... you should hear the sales pitch:rolleyes: and someone I know who just bought the same baler was practically reciting it word for word:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts