Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the middle of a tornado warning in the Worcester Ma area and I'm learning fast...Some have touched down and there was damage. We are in the path from Springfield to Boston and have high winds, rain and hail. Phones went out for awhile. Tried the windup radio, not too good. Tried testing the generator, gas didn't flow correctly. no alternative radio that had an antenna, (Kids). Went in the basement for cover and water was coming in. Planning is key, specially when the kids trying to take the helm and making the wife nervous....We need to adjust and plan....Update to come

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Keeping you and yours in my thoughts!

Stay safe!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the storm has passed...There is a state of emergency here and 1000 Nat Guards were deployed. News reporting 4 dead so far...We're ok...I had to go thru the storm to p/u the MIL...Now she went home...

I have to review tonite with the family to WAKE them up!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
We only bought our generator in March, but April, and this month, dh did start and make sure it was running good.

End of every month like clock work...praying for all the disasters past and present..

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Wow! That was a close call! Glad ya'll are okay! If we can help work out any kinks in your preps, let us know!

·
I put SAs on IGNORE!
2,426 Posts
glad you all are ok!

being a tornado survivor and living in a tornado prone area, just wondering what you need to know, so I might be able to answer any of your questions.

I don't know the ages of your children, but if they are young, i wouldn't talk too much to them about the storm, because if they become too scared, you will be having problems with every little thunderstorm that comes through. I try to never show my fear to my children. They just know when I say go to the basement, they go.

We haven't had any more tornados since the last one that hit us in April. I am worried about how my children may react the next time one comes through.

Anyway...again, I am glad you are ok!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
DJ beat me to it but I have lived in "Tornado Alley" all my life. I can't even start to count the number of close calls I've had ... do have several friends who have lost everything ... and I mean EVERYTHING except their lives though so I'll try to help to, if I can.

Sounds like you did a pretty good job this time. Main thing is to listen to the weather man ... If he says "scoot" then you best be scooting.

Here's a funny story for you ... many many years ago there came to Oklahoma a weatherman from out west somewhere IIRC. He had never been in a tornado but by God he had a degree in meteorology and he was young and fiesty so he had no worries ... (MY HAND TO GOD that is what he believed ... his wife used to shop in a store I worked at).

Well ... I was watching one night when we were having a particularly active weather pattern blow through and he starts getting all excited, which kinda freaks me out a little bit ... as I am getting up to go gather the dogs into the bathroom I hear him blurt out at the top of his lungs "People ... I'm telling you go to your shelters NOW ... THIS IS NOT A STORM TO FART AROUND WITH!!" :eek:

Now let me just say that if that storm had been barreling down on me I would have died in my living room, rolling on the floor, laughing my behind off! :D

He got an award from the news broadcast community here that year for most "enthusiastic" live broadcast or something like that ... He took it all in stride and is still working here in Oklahoma last I heard ... at a Tulsa station I think. :beercheer:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Glad you and family are OK ra5451. This was a great learning opportunity for you and family. Use this knowledge wisely to bring the others onboard. We run our generator once a month for a few minutes, just to make sure it is doing what it should. Check to see if there is some way to make the basement waterproof. Store your drinking water and food preps in the basement when you get the problem solved. And Thank God for giving you this opportunity to become better prepared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts