ok, i am 13. where do i start?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Komocozy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

:dunno: i am 13 and most of the people around me dont see that there is even the slightest chance of an apocolypse, they think that i have gotten the apocolypse idea from a movie, and i havent.

i have been wanting to have at least a bag of supplies ready yet i dont know where to start. i dont have any guns or realy hunting knives.

can someone tell me where i can start? i cant own a gun, i dont realy have enough money to buy many supplies, and my parents disagree with the whole idea so they wont realy help.

what should i do first? please help.

2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Start with buying a can or two (or package) of food and water from the grocery store every week. Stash it so it's handy. It is the way I started.

3. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

well, that is smart idea and a good place to start, thank you.

4. Concerned_ Citizen

Concerned_ Citizen Well-Known Member

good to see someone of your age thinking like you are.....maybe there IS hope.......

I look fwd to reading your posts.......Not sure how long im going to be able to look at that avatar.........scary...lol

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I teach fire and life safety in schools (not sure they do that in your area but a starting point anyway) ... You could start there with your parents ...

We teach to have 3 -5 days worth of food/water for any emergency ... look into your area ... do you have snow storms, ice storm or something coming off the oceans.

So I would say to start there, talk to your parents not of an apocolypse but what would you do if the power went out because of a storm or something like that.

Wish you well ...and keep us up to date.

6. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Got a old school bag? Go through some a the posts here an see what folks put in their bob (bug out bag) an slowly gather some of it up an put it in there.

Read lots here. Ya in Boy Scouts? Nother good place ta learn about bein prepared an ya get ta do alota stuff outdoors what applies ta life an bein prepped fer lots of different things.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

There's a top-notch idea. :2thumb:

Scouting provides a mountain of knowledge, most of which stays with you the rest of your life.

8. BoyScoutSurvivor

BoyScoutSurvivor Active Member

I was in the scouts for a long time and I learned a lot of skills from it. Also with using the cover of scouts you can ask for prepping presents that are also used in scouts.

With a limited budget and you having no supplies to speak of I would suggest the following.

Three inch lock blade knife
    Firesteel or some kind of firestarter
    Rope
    A tent or a tarp
    First aid kit
    Can food
    Roman noodles
    Bottle water
    Compass
    Map
    Canteen
    Back pack (Does not have to be expensive just something to hold your prep gear)
    Sleeping Bag if you can afford it or a blanket

A good rule of thumb is anything you need for a three day camping trip. Also I am 18 and my parents don't support prepping either. I feel your pain of lack of support and budget issues. A lot of post and stories talk about prepping with thousands of dollars but it is possible to prep with just a few hundred dollars or less if you spend your money smartley.

9. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

Well first of all, thank you. I am one out of about seven people in my grade that even think there will be an apocalypse. Also, the creepy doll will soon go away it is only temporary.

As for the storm thing, I get what you are saying but I am actualy in one of the safest spots in America, there are mountains blocking any big storms and we are far enough south that we don't get much snow.

The boy scouts... Well I never was one, but I know people that were and maybe they have a hand book or something... I don't know, I will check. But that is a good idea.

10. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Supplies are handy but skills really count, Learn at least 3 ways to make fire with out matches or a lighter.
    Get a good back packers water filter. make sure you have decent boots and a good coat and layers of clothing,
    If you live in a cold climate try sleeping with a window open (if it is safe from intruders)
    Read the fiction , it give you ideas what to expect, I would think that you are more mature than your peers and can handle the content , but be aware that most is targeted toward adult readers
    Learn navagation by compass and map as well as dead reckoning.

11. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

Thank you, that I a very senseful list an will help me very much, thank you.

12. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum!
    i know what you mean about parents not completely understanding what you want to do. i'm 18 and a freshman in college and it's freaking me out horribly to be away from home and my jeep and other preps. all i've got here is my bike, a small back pack, some spare parts, and tools. a good place to get started is to get familiar with repairing bicycles, a couple folding allen key tools and a wrench the size of the nuts on the axles can break a normal bike down and have it back together and ready to go in no time. knowing how to repair my bike has saved me so much money and time and so has having the right tools.
    you'll find a ton of info on this site and if i can say anything that'll stick, it's to familiarize yourself with what you use day to day, learn how it works and how to fix it if something goes wrong, play "what if's" in your mind(i saw this somewhere on this forum and it was a great idea)

good luck!

13. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

Ok, I don't know the fire thing, yet I do know how to even make a water filter out of everyday things in a forest, a for the weather thing... Well I am used to the cold. I probobly shouldn't but as it gets colder here, I never wear socks and always wear sandals, I don't wear a jacket, only short sleeved shirts, trust me. I am used to the cold. And the only real survival book I have read is a wonderfully writen book called "Hatchet".

14. Komocozy

Komocozy Member

Wow. People are posting faster than I can reply! I like that. Thanks for the help, these are all good ideas!

15. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Most recommend beginning with a "three day kit." That's everything you'd need to sustain your life for three days without outside assistance. The essentials are shelter, fire, food, water, and medical. Most of these things can be put together from things around the house.

Shelter may be nothing more than a 6 X 8 foot sheet of heavy plastic and a blanket. My personal favorite is a military surplus poncho. Have some string with you also to tie it to trees, etc. to make a tent. To the poncho I'd add a poncho liner if you can get one. It and a poncho can make a good sleeping bag in a pinch.

You should have at lest three methods of making a fire. I carry matches in a water proof container, a butane lighter, and a magnesium fire starter. I cut the last three inches off a hacksaw blade and run the chain on the firestater through the hole in the hacksaw blade and use the back of it to strike sparks to light the magnesium shavings. You also have the toothed side for a short hack saw as needed. Carry some "tinder" also. The easiest tinder to make is to rub vaseline into cotton balls and store it in a 35mm film container or other small container.

Pack enough water to get you through. You don't have to buy water in bottles. If you have bottles wash them out good and just fill them with tap water. Have enought to last you the entire time. In emergencies if you're carrying this in a pack just have drinking water. If you can stash water in a vehicle, outbuilding, etc. use clean plastic or glass jugs and rotate them to maintain freshness.

You'll want some real food and some fun food. Pack a few cans of things you like to eat (don't forget the can opener and a spoon or fork). Use things you can eat cold if you must. Things like spaghetti "O's," or whatever. For fun food use candy or snacks of some kind. Try to avoid things that melt like chocolate. I have suckers and similar items that you can get for free from bank teller windows, etc.

Put together at least a minimal first aid kit. Some triple anti-biotic ointment, a roll of gauze, some tape, a few band aids and whatever else you think is needed. I didn't use to be a fan of band aids but after a few minor cuts on my fingers/hands getting blood all over my clothes and gear I started carrying a few. At least they stop you from making as big of a mess.

I'd add a small LED flashlight, pocket knife and small radio to the list as well.

These are the basics and you can put most if it together from things you have at home. Add a small pack to keep it all in and you're ready to go.

Try the stuff out when you have time to be sure it works for you. Practice making a fire in all kinds of weather. Take some basic first aid classes.

FEMA has a lot of good basic stuff to read also. http://www.fema.gov/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  16. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

A couple of thoughts:

I didn't join the Boy Scouts but I loved to camp out almost every weekend, so my parents bought me pieces of equipment for birthdays and Christmas. Before I was 13, I had a rucksack, messkit, C-Rations, knife, etc.

That's how a young lad starts acquiring equipment.

Check out survival books and fiction type survival books from the library. This reinforces the idea with your parents that you want "camping equipment". Camping equipment is the basics of most survival kits!

17. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

A couple of Jerry's fiction stories have teenagers as main characters. Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f55/jdy-fiction-only-fourteen-2873/

Go there and click on the link to open the story file. Here's another good family one:

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f55/jdy-fiction-shake-shake-shake-2591/

If Jerry gets back on this thread, he can probably recommend others. Don't be overwhelmed by the large amounts of supplies people have in some of the stories. Start small with what you can do, like Jerry said. Start with one or two things at a time and keep adding to it. There's all kinds of places you can stash food and water. Pull the bottom drawer out of your desk or dresser and see if there's room on the floor under the drawer. If you clean your own room, you have more options for storing things under, behind, and inside furniture. We have things up inside living room chairs and the couch, from below. I also tuck small food items (candy bars in a ziplock bag, etc.) inside pockets of off-season clothes that are hanging in my closet. It can be for something as small as a huge storm keeping us home and I have a taste for a candy bar or can of pop.

It's not all junk food, though. Some of my "quick access" stashes are Lipton noodle meals, rice-a-roni, a can or two of ravioli or chili tucked away. Be creative. Get things you like to eat and look around for a place to put it. Make sure some of what you have is food you can eat the way it is, without cooking it.

Good luck!

:)

18. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

learn how to improvise some equipment, you can save $$$ AND you further develop a skillset
    garage sales/flea markets & auctions ar enice because they usually advertise what they have (camping gear) & sometimes list a phone# so you can call & ask (unless they specifically say 'NO early birds', IMO they're fair game for a call or visit before 'the day' ;) )

Big Lots/Odd Lots is good for dehydrated foods on the cheap (Ramen Noodles are sometimes as cheap as 10/$1 :2thumb: )

Harbor Freight has low-quality tools for cheap (I'd rather have nice tools, but any tools are better than no tools)

Dollar Tree has many 'fill in' items & the price is right! ;)

19. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I will hold my points to a couple... maybe :D

First a good knife is worth it's weight in gold when you need it.. BUT, and this is my opinion only... but from many years experince!

Avoid Buck knives.. they are damn near impossible for the non expert to sharpen.. my best folder is a 40 year old Schrade-Waldon, 2, 4" blades , has the horn looking handles on it... it will take an edge from almost anything if you don't let it get too far gone, comes with a leather belt case.. only problem is it don't lock open, but maybe the newer ones do.. it a pretty high carbon blade, meaning it will turn kinda black but will clean right up.. keep it clean and dry and it will last all your life.. I know a lot of folks say that you can use a lock blade to make a spear... true.. but you can break your blade too... early man rubbed a sharp point on a stick and hardened it in fire.. with a very sharp point like that and your good for at least one stab maybe more... NEVER !! throw your knife, no matter what the movie SUPER DUDES do.. OH... one of those small swiss kinves..one small blade and a small pair of scissors a twizer and toot pick... just about as hand as teeth!.. I have several..think they cost about 8 bucks.. these are outstanding.. believe it or not you can in a pinch dress out a deer with that little blade... slow as hell but you can do it.. in the woods carry your blast match and swiss knife on a neck thong, no matter what you'll have it with you...( UH ..might not wanna wear it to school?? ok? )

Fire starting... you can use all the old tried and true methods.. but google "Blast Match" this is the fastest and easiest fire starter you will ever see... or use...I have two and have had them for over 20 years... they are outstanding...

Staying dry and warm.. buy a good "REAL" Military poncho and get a poncho liner.. these two things ans a small fire will keep you alive in all but the worst weather... try to stay away from the "wannabe Military stuff.. get the real thing... also in your BOB carry some of the big black extra heavy duty leaf bags... with your legs in one and your poncho and liner covering the rest of you your going to stay warm and dry... you can also fill them with leaves and sleep on them ...softer then the ground..

Para-cord... worth it's weight in gold.. the outer shell can be removed , leaving the smaller cording.. which makes good fishing line , braid a few together and you have a snare.. with a needle you can sew stuff real well with it... there are a thousand uses for it.. get several hundred feet!...

An Altoids tin makes a great container for fish hooks and other goodies.. plus dry tender for your fire but you can get that from the inner bark of a dead tree limb..

There used to be a really great web site called HoodsWoods.com Ron Hood is former SF and runs survival classes, he is the real deal...if he's still on line his site is worth a visit..

I'll stop .. we can all go on and on, but it will just confuse you, start reading and learning and then ask for specific information...

I'm glad your "Aware" most adults much less young people are not as Aware as you..

Never be afraid to ask!!... and always ask before spending a dime on something , ask first, somebody in here probably has it and can say Yea or nea

OH and a good quality hatchet beats a Rambo knife any day of the weekl..

Good luck and WELCOME!!!
    HozayBuck

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  20. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

I am 15 and my dad is a prepper. And my mom realizes that something like TEOTWAKI could and probably will happen but shes not a full blown prepper. One tip I have for you is use whats at hand. Try making something without going to the store. Like last weekend I spent 30min looking for bricks/wood/any other useful scraps that the construction workers threw out. . I plan on making a grill/firepit with it. One of the most useful skills for when SHTF is being able to make something out of seemingly nothing. Because chances are there's not going to be a walmart if TEOTWAWKI happens.