Oil Lamps - I Got a Deal Today!

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by IrritatedWithUS, Jun 5, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I bought these things for $5.98 today! They are vintage Lamplight Farms brand oil lamps. They came with wicks too. They take the 1/8th in round wicks I believe. They look small but they are over a foot tall. I found out they are made in Austria and mine are indeed old. The trademark expired and now since 1997 a company in Wisconsin has been marketing them.

I'm really happy about it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a question about paraffin oil. Does this stuff last forever in it's containers? I'm thinking about picking up 5 gallons of the stuff on eBay and I was wondering how to store it. I'm clueless to price as well. 5 gallons of paraffin oil for $59.00 free shipping sounds great to me.

2. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

wow, that is a great price for the paraffin oil......I just bought some , 4 gals. for 70....oooops
    :cry: where did you find it so cheap??

3. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Those are beautiful!

4. IrritatedWithUS

Ebay.com . It's from a top rated seller. they have a 100% feedback rating and their name of their online store matches a name of a store in their location. It's a mom and pop store. I'm assuming it's the same :D

5. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Very nice! Great score.

I love their look.

Jimmy

6. IrritatedWithUS

You would not believe what I found at a thrift store today!!!!!
    A MATCHING PAIR OF THE SAME OIL LAMPS THAT I GOT EARLIER!
    I was about to leave the store with nothing and something told me to look at the glass aisle. Low and behold, these were right there! I cannot believe that late 19th century Austrian lamps were staring right back at me! I now have 4 of them and paid less than $10 for all 4!!

[​IMG]

7. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Good golly!!!

Sometimes better to be lucky than good....:rolleyes:

Jimmy

8. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Good buys all around.

9. IrritatedWithUS

I bought one set at a humane society thrift store and at their other branch across town. i wonder if someone donated 4 of them and the stores split them up and one set went to one store and another set to another. Still, $10 for 4 antique oil lamps is amazing. I'm still doing my happy dance!

10. efbjr

efbjr Well-Known Member

Lamp oil...?

Since most lamp oil s kerosene-based, could the clear kerosene sold at some gas stations for heating units be used in lamps? Seems that it would a lot cheaper than buying the stuff in the fancy quart bottles. :confused:

11. IrritatedWithUS

I've only heard speculation of it. I read an article on it of all places Wikipedia. They said to change the wick so it's a fresh one and be sure to wash out the lamp and you can use it. I don't know, I haven't tried or trust it. I'm just paranoid. But I have made vegetable oil lamps. So any oil is fuel. It would work if you trust it