oil lamp powered radio

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by bunkerbob, May 18, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:melikey: Very cool!

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I gave a friend a TEG (ThermoElectricGenerator) based fan that he places on the top of his wood-burning stove. The heat of the stove causes the unit to produce its own electricity and turn the fan moving the air around his shop. It isn't an overly expensive device, but, it really gets people looking at it trying to figure out where the batteries or wires are :2thumb:

Got the "B" unit from Lee Valley Tools .. its awesome!

Attached Files:

4. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

WOW! Thats given me some idears. I will have to put the gears in motion and pencil to paper. I foregot about TEG. Don't use it you lose it:eek:

5. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Hi Bob,

That is just a simple thermopile. They have been around for a very long time. Here is some info if you'd like to make your own. :)

Attached Files:

6. bunkerbob

Allen, I've known about the Peltier effect for years, the idea of combining all into one device, rather different.
    Most people take thermocouples for granted in almost every heating device, from water heaters, to stoves and thermostats.
    This is a interesting video...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKaO3l7iwEA&feature=related"]YouTube - Thermoelectric Power Generation On Wood Stove[/ame]

By the way you can find the devices cheap on Ebay... [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/THERMOELECTRIC-POWER-GENERATOR-TEG-MODULE-NEW-USA-/310148993913?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4836521379
    Wow, even "Made In the US"!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  7. bunkerbob

Hey Allen, check out this doc. another power option, cool as well...

Attached Files:

8. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Yowza. That is one big heat sink. :eek:

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I like the lamp radio. I also like the pdf. Thanks Bob.