Ohla from Hondouras

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by sailaway, Nov 21, 2010.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I arrived in Hondouras yesterday, definately a 3rd world country. You can get by on $5.00/day or live like a king on $25.00/day. There never was a coup here according to the locals, just the news distorting it to us. Hondouras has a constitution modeled after ours. The President wanted a 3rd term after 2 and that was all he was allowed. When he tried to force it the people threw him out.
    The country is mostly lush green tropical jungle mountains soaring to a whopping 500'-1,000'. It looks like a great place to come and live off the land. There are fresh fruits and vegetables growing in the wild or for sale everywhere. There is also plenty of fish, chicken and beef available.
    I am staying on the Island of Utila 1/2 hr. ferry ride off the coast. There is a continuous plesant seabreeze and those pesky little noseeums:gaah::surrender:. Other than that everything is great, will get over jet lag today.
    If anyone wants to know anything or has any questions I will try to find out, this should be a real learning experience. Sail

2. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Wow, sail...what on earth took you there? Also, how long are you staying? Did you need to get any wierd vaccinations before you went?

3. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

Do you need anti-malarials in Honduras?

Do you feel safe roaming around there?

We spent a month in Guatemala and Belize, down in that neck of the woods, a couple of years ago. Amazing place!

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

been to Belize, would LOVE to go back

Guatemala... not-so-much... bad experience :(

5. sailaway

Uncle & Aunt built a home here 5 years ago, am here visiting them. I've been trying to get here since then. I feel quite safe, the people are quite friendly. I wish I knew spannish though. You don't need any vaccinations and the only anti-materials I could use so far is for the no-seeums. electricity is .45 a kilo hr., quite pricy.:gaah:

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

7. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Thanks for posting this, please keep us updated with your observations!

8. sailaway

Most people here seem to go to church, Catholic, 7 Day Adventists, Methodist and Episcopal Churches. Motorcycles don't need lisc. plates, only cars & trucks. Dinner tonight included Fresh Tuna, rice, beans, salad and a taco shell, more than i could eat. price $5.00. Non happy hr. local beer by the bottle is $1.00. Coke still comes in a recycleable glass bottle, at the bar $1.00
    I think the real problem people down here are the expatriots from USA, Britan and Canada. Alot of USA tax evaders li8ving here. One local doctor in town is a crack head from Akron, Ohio according to some locals.
    Going scuba diving tomorrow, a 2 tank boat dive is $25.00, in the Fl. Keys that would be $75.00. I bought a 10 dive package for $165.00.
    The currency is called the Limpera (sp) and the exchange rate is 20 to 1. Lots of European travellers here, there Euro exchange rate makes this place dirt cheap for them.

9. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Sounds great. Can an expat own guns?

10. sailaway

Uncle says shot guns are ok, don't know about rifles and pistols. I'll ask around.

Just finnished diving today, waiting for the nitrogen to burn out and going again tomorrow. There is plenty of fish in the sea around here. lots of lobster, conch, snapper, tuna, grouper and other game fish. plenty of fruits growing in the wild. People eat lots of beans and rice as side dishes.

Lots of travellers seem to have stalled out around here because it is so nice. I met 2 young guys who flew to Panama and bought 2 250cc dirt bikes and are making their way to California.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Are you worried about conntaminated fish---the damage to sea life has spread so far from the Gulf and the coast.

12. sailaway

I'vebeen told yes, but you need residence or citizenship papers.;) No automatic weapons though. Lots of guns just get sold hand to hand. Ammunition may be a different story though, no one has said anything about that.

13. sailaway

No, everything is quite safe in the way of seafood. No evidence of the oil spill here. I have been diving every day to 100' and seen nothing. I am more worried about drinking water, you can only drink bottled water where I am. Only 3 cities in Hondouras have drinkable tap water.:beercheer:

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

A Berkey--I got one three weeks ago--it has 3 sports bottles and I only, so far, purified the tap water---it's great.

I am really ready to get creek water, filter with coffee filters, then put the water through the sports bottle that was free. Will let you know if it does the job---but the highest reviews online sold me the Berkey and lots of reputable talk shows advertise for them.

And, they were used in Haiti--another reason I chose Berkey.

15. sailaway

Jay Jay, Berkey, GREAT CHOICE! I've just been buying bottled tap water. I did get the runs though, probably from the one glass of tap water I drank to wash vitamins down. oops!, was told to eat bananas, did firm things up.

Sunday is definately a slow day around here most businesses are closed today. I'm leaving the rock tomorrow. Sail

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yes...I researched before deciding on Berkey...however, with alum, coffee filters, and pool shock(lasts longer than bleach) I am ready for dirty water.

I pray.

17. hillbilly

hillbilly Active Member

Sailaway,Great country as far as I can tell was there in the 80s twice with the military building cosways and drilling wells.Was in the city of Putareton[spelling] But we had our main post down by a beach don't remember the name but could see Nicarogua from it.The people seemed really friendly and always were willing to help.and the beer and soda prices didn't go up any.the only thing I don't remember seeing was service stations of any kind.And yes people over there do live a very hard life most where we were at were sugar caners there harvested it.but they literally live in cardboard huts.but seem very happy and laid back.
    good luck while there and return safely

18. sailaway

HillBilly, yes they do live simply there and if you don't what you are missing, you aren't missing anything. When my divorce is over, I will definately be simplifying my life, but not quite that much.