Off Grid or On?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Meerkat, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Which will be the best place to survive?

If your on grid in rural n-hood where others are prepping and well armed ,is this as good as being off grid in the wilderness?

I think if your young or have kids to help you its a good idea.But if your older and alone can you manage all the work if only one or two of you?

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I am not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. But I would much prefer to stay in my own home. I know that all of my neighbors are armed. Some VERY well armed even if they do not have stocked food they could grow their own food because most all of them own more property than me....so I am saving the seeds for them! So I am hoping that if I can trade seeds and breeding stock animals they will help protect me!
    The thought of being off grid in the woods with the kids is a scary thought!!

3. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

Why does the thought of being in the woods off grid with the kids scare you ? Actually I find it a much better life then living in a "n-hood" could ever be. Kids learn so much more by being in the woods away from the gangs, drugs and just plain busy bodies in town. Let them go out and play etc which is far better then being on the computer or playing computer games all day.

The only reason the kids would be scared in the woods , is if you convey that scare to them. They will pick up on whatever your fears are. " don't go outside because the bears will eat you" type attitude.

4. TheAnt

TheAnt Aesops Ant (not Aunt)

I think both scenarios can be equally life sustaining -- it all depends on too many things.

The problem I have is that I dont know of any neighborhoods where a majority (let alone "enough") are prepping for anything. If we are talking total societal meltdown (which is what so many think about on this forum) then I think at least for the initial few months or years you are going to be better off being as far away from people as possible.

5. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I don't think the kids would 'scared'. The 'thought' of living in the woods (kids or no kids really) scares me! My MIL's house is surrounded by trees and the bugs are :gaah: They just eat me alive and I get huge welts!

6. Meerkat

I agree ,we have the same n-hood here,lots of guns and farmers.
    We are seniors so we will stay put inless a nuke or soemthigng happens that would make it impossible.

7. Meerkat

You misunderstood what I said or my wording was wrong.

Being in the woods with kids old eough to help or being young and off grid would be ok,being older and alone would be too much for most seniors,unless they have lived off grid set up to survive and have experiance.

8. Meerkat

Sometimes their safety in numbers,but not always.If it gets really bad,having a small community militia will be better than stranded in the woods somewhere alone,IMO.Basic survuval instinct makes good allies.

Being off grid has its liabilities too.The movie'Deliverence' comes to mind.There will be many others in those woods huning,fishing and looking for food.3 or more men with guns will win against 2 or 3 in the long run.

9. TheAnt

Your point is well made but dont discount that 2 or 3 with guns and a steady aim in a defensive posture can hold off (and have) tens if not hundreds as long as ammo holds out. Preparation and skills can go a long ways. I can prep for what I need but prepping for what others might do (neighbors) is a LOT harder.

That being said, I would want to have others with me... my family mostly.

10. Meerkat

I agree.The main point of the thread was prepare as best you can.Where ever you live it will be harder than before.

The cities ,rural areas and wilderness will all be changed.After the zombies ravage the cities ,they will be headed in pacts for wildlife and wilderness areas.Happens all the time in third world nations.No place will actually be safe for long.

Bug out or stand your ground with others,will be up to the person.

11. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

There is also a mental safety and security about being in your own home...it is familiar. I know the general sounds and sites...of course that might change after the SHTF. Also I know what grows on my property. I know who belongs in up here and who doesn't. I know most of my neighbors children's faces and some of their other extended family or friends from get-togethers.
    If I went off to the woods anyone could happen by and I would not know anything about them at all or their reason for being there.

12. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

If you have neighbors they might help you if there are people shooting at your house. Being alone in the middle of nowhere isn't good if an armed group of people finds you.

I don't think bugging out makes any sense in a SHTF situation. Not unless you have a lot of stored provisions in your bug-out location. To me, bugging out means you run away with just a handful of things instead of staying home with a year's supply of things.

13. TheAnt

Maybe I misunderstood your OP. I would think most folks are better to stay in their own home rather than bug out for many of the reasons Pam mentions. If you can bug out NOW and prepare your preps away from others thats your best bet still.

Also, if we are talking total meltdown I would rather deal with the city folks AFTER they have been fighting with themselves for weeks and depleated their numbers. As long as you are prepared to be where you are then stay there. If you can prepare to be out in the 'wilderness' then you are probably better off there -- most city zombies wont make it out deep into the wilderness because they wouldnt know how to survive there.

14. Meerkat

The weather can turn real bad real quick.If your trying to survive without being set up it can make a big difference in if you starve or eat.

We have had record heat and cold.Storms and earthquakes.If you stay in place you can set up for many of these hazards.Grow and raise your own food.Can't do this on the run.

Most of us have never had to brave the heat or cold for long,especially 10 feet of snow or ice packs.Building fires can be dangerous and let others know where you are.Yhose in the deserts will have to fight over water,since power will no longer be pumping it out.Not to speak of wild animals,snakes,insects.
    We have a big place but don't now anyone we could trust to help us with the work and preps.So whoever comes after us won't last long with our preps.
    Our families think we are nuts and things will go back to normal soon.
    My cousin wanted to move here but they are older too.Also his wife has kids that I would'nt trust to do anything but cause trouble.A mother will seldom turn away her kids,even if they are middle aged.

15. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Personally, I would rather be off grid in the woods living off the land. I have never actyually done this mind you, and maybe I just watch too much Dual Survival and Survivorman, but that has always appealed to me. I grew up with woods all around me, and spent lots of time there. I always preferred it. Now I live in a standard burb with no woods.
    I dont think we could stay here for any real length of time should SHTF, we would have to leave. We do have a place to go in WV, but neither us nor our friends own the land. Its a campsite where they live, and he is the grounds manager. I would be completely screwed if I had to contend with the zombie hordes. My house in not secure, some glass doors and some big windows, and there is only one room (the laundry room) and the crawlspace that doesnt have windows. We could hold out for a few days, but if there really were zombies in the streets, we would have to go. There would be almost no way to hide me and mine.
    I guess what I really need to concentrate on is bugging out, and seeing to it that we could. If we couldnt drive, it would be quite a trek for us, with a big river to cross, and if the one bridge was unpassable, theres a chance that the river could be flooded with no way to cross.
    I am planning to do some barebones wilderness 'camping' this season, and my buddys gonna help. Go into the mountains with as little as possible. He says "whatever you wanna take, or not, we'll do it". I guess when it comes down to it, the only thing that will matter to me as that I keep my family safe. I will prolly be a basketcase, with a one track mind.

Protect the women. At all cost.