Off-grid living anyone ?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by lamar5292, Oct 28, 2009.

1. lamar5292

lamar5292 Member

New here but a long time off-grid homesteader and survivalist.

I live in Utah at the foot of the Uintah mountains in a solar cabin I designed and built myself. I garden, raise animals, hunt and fish for most of my food needs.

Heres a video of my cabin if interested:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsDOD0dTQI[/ame]

Hope to make some friends and share ideas!

LaMar

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2009
  2. james_black

james_black Active Member

Lamar:

Love the video. That is exactly what my wife and will like to have.
    Now the question is how to get started? You said.....
    1. Buy land first
    2. Build house.
    3. Use solar
    4. Use propane for heating and cooking
    5. Drill well for water

1. Where do you buy the cabin?
    2. Do you hooked the solar panels yourself?

I will love to get all the help we can get. Thanks
    Also...I can't find any of your other videos. Where do I found them under?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Dude your house is awesome! Excellent video. Land for under $400?!? Holy crap!?! You've got a pretty awesome set up. Yes that freedom sure does sound nice. I'm mortgage free but I still have to pay utilities and condo fees. I'd like to have a place like that.

For every thousand people who say "I wish" there's one person who goes out and actually does it. Good for you man! You set an excellent example for your fellow Americans. People need to return to old fashioned values. If everyone had a homesteading mentality our economy would be in much better shape.

4. medicvet

medicvet Member

I don't see any video?

5. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

I came across Lamar's video on the wSHTF forum, and heard his comment about buying land on Ebay. A bit of looking shows no good deals in Canada, but some great deals in the US. And has he said, VERY cheap land in Texas. I saw a couple acres go for $650 USD last night. $30/yr in taxes. (And that wasn't a $650 downpayment... it was $650 total!)

Definitely an interesting setup he's got going on there.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

fellow off-gridder

Hello LaMar, welcome, I couldn't see a video also. You sound like you are much more rural than I. You can see my off-grid project here...bunkerbob Good luck and keep up the dream.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I'll edit the video back in again .. it was playing just fine for me last night ..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsDOD0dTQI[/ame]

8. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Lots of cheap land in Texas. Definitely need to checkout the property (ie-visit) before buying. There are some great deals to be had if you have the cash. Lenders are still tight with the money which makes buying large tracts difficult unless owner financing is an option. I got 110 acres at a courthouse auction in Georgia a few months back for $90k.

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

You have to be careful with Texas property because there's a whole lot of nothing down here.

10. NaeKid

What do you mean "nothing" ... would those properties that are for sale not have any available water? I don't know enough about Texas weather - would rain-water collection be feasible for drinking, watering plants / animals, and washing?

I don't know - for $650, I would probably buy the land and see about making it a vacation-place :2thumb:

11. Von Helman

Von Helman A very simple man

Hey that’s true anywhere, but in regards to Texas only because it’s such a huge state.

12. NaeKid

Texas isn't that big ... only 268,820 square miles according to the wiki ... my home province is 364,764 sq mi and has a private owned ranch inside the province that 200,000 hectares in size .... (772 sq miles) :2thumb:

I also heard that Texas is only the biggest in the lower-48 ... Alaska kicks Texas's butt ... :kiss:

13. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

Pffsshh... Ontario is bigger... 415,598 sq mi

:p

It also takes 2 days to drive across Ontaro if you're keeping a steady pace (max 20km/h over), and not driving more than 12 hours a day. It's HUGE.

14. Von Helman

I am on a slow connection so it’s hard for me to see these videos, can anyone describe it?

Thanks

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I feel your pain, Von.

16. NaeKid

Quick recap of the video:

Owner of the acre of land starts out showing his face and talking directly into the camera describing his piece of heaven, the price he paid for it and his basic setup.

He then pans around his yard showing his house and how it is built very inexpensively - about $2000 for a 14x14' two story cabin with front porch, plus about $3000 for his solar system and describes his cost-of-living expenses which include about $200 / year for propane to heat his house, cook his food and keep his fridge running.

He is encouraging others to follow his basic design to get land, pay it off, build an inexpensive cabin and then they too will be able to save large amounts of money instead of paying mortgages, high-taxes, etc - the money stays in your pocket.

17. Von Helman

Thanks for the recap, it sucks being on a 56k thats actually more like 5k

18. Von Helman

Who owns that ranch and what do they produce, snow? :D

19. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Probably cattle and if they're lucky oil as well.

20. NaeKid

It might take a while for the site to show-up on your dial-up connection, but, their website is http://www.douglaslake.com/ (flash enabled) .. and here is their direct link to their history of running the ranch

Oh ya - they raise cattle, feed, etc. Their location in the heart of BritishColumbia is in an area that has a dry/desert-like condition (land very similar to those shown in your own pictures) where irrigation and ponds provide a fair amount of water needed to run the ranch.

Attached Files: