October weather

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by gypsysue, Oct 1, 2010.

1. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Happy October, everyone! :wave:

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! It's sunny and supposed to be in the mid-70s today. The Aspen leaves are a brilliant gold, and about half of them have fluttered to the ground.

It dropped to 40 last night and everything is soaked with dew.

I still have potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, beets, turnips, spaghetti squash, and celery in the garden.

The firewood is cut and stacked in the shed.

I guess soon it'll be time to set the snow shovel on the front porch... :rolleyes:

2. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

It is a windy, dreary 76 F here. Looks to have been over 9” of rain with those last two lows that came by. Ground is saturated so being careful in the garden. Leaves still mostly green. Only brown and down ones are poplars and sycamores due to the long spell of hot, dry weather we had before the rain.

Supposed to be around 50 tonight or tomorrow night, time to crank up the heat and prepare some hot toddies!

Fall crops (radishes, carrots, spinach, peas, lettuce) are just about ready. Well, not really, peas are a few weeks off yet. Still getting beans, cukes, squash, tomatoes, peppers and limas. Gona try taters next year for sure.

We don’t use show shovels here. If we get an inch of snow everything shuts down and I stay home!

Come on spring!!!

3. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

Beautiful mid 70's and windy (very windy).

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Happy October!!!!

It has taken a turn to 'the cool' here

lows in the the 40's ... My son wanted to know where his 'other' afghan was. lol

Cleaned the heater today and turned it on ...

leaves well... the maples turned a month ago and the other not much color ... brown and dropping.... :scratch

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Leaves are starting to turn here as well. This morning it's really foggy and 50 degrees out. We lit the outdoor wood furnace Wednesday night so today I'll be changing the oil in the splitter, sharpening the chainsaw, and starting to split wood. we do firewood through the winter instead of over the summer for a couple reasons-mainly we're working the farm in the summer, but also it's easier to cut wood when it's cold-less bugs/snakes, etc. Cutting firewood warms you twice, so I like to use that to my advantage.

Looks like it's going to be a really nice fall day. I love this time of year.

6. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

It got down to around 40F last night, and somehow I missed that information, so it was a toasty 60F in the house this morning :rolleyes: I turned the furnace on-I just couldnt take it! I was gonna try to make it longer this year without turning it on.

The leaves are starting to turn, although I don't expect a great show this year because it has been too dry. All of the asters are in full bloom, the goldenrods are fading.

I haven't mowed my grass in three weeks because I've been too busy with school and work and life, so most of this weekend will be spent cleaning up the yard in between gigs and rehearsals. The kids keep asking when they can make a leaf pile.....Our red oaks will bless us with plenty of leaves for that, but I can wait a few more weeks.

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

So much the same here... low 40's - upper 70's...

nothing out out order or bounds ... :2thumb:

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

We're having crazy weather, shifting between heavy rain then bright and sunny, back and forth. Last week there was one day that was actually warm and shockingly muggy.

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yeah, us too, over here in NW Montana! Quit sending it to us!:club: :D

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Not much going on here weather wise ... days low to mid 70's and night in the 40's for the most part ...

Full moon last night ... with a ring around it ... so we will getting some rain soon. ;)

11. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Still in the 80s day 60s night.

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Anyone had snow yet?

13. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Light rain, heavy rain, BIG hail, sunshine...let's see what the next HOUR brings.

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:eek: BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

15. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Yeh, GypsySue. What UncleJoe said. :mad::) You wanna hex us?:eek:

16. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We have snow in the forecast for Tuesday...

I'll let you know. That is, if I'm not too sore from biting my tongue! :D

Just for that, if we do get the snow, I'm going to fan it toward PA! Mwahahahaha!

17. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

gypsysue!!! that is an awful thing to say. Its a four letter word. j/k I hate snow its cold and yucky.

18. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It's snowing!!!

catsraven, my sister says that too! She calls it "the 's' word"!

It's snowing here! Our forecast was spot-on! (never is when it's supposed to be sunny and warm!

I tried to get a picture of the flakes coming down but it wasn't coming out, so here's a picture of it starting to stick to our picnic table. I pressed my hand on it, which you can see in the foreground!
    [​IMG]

Too soon to get out my skis? snowshoes? ice skates? sled? snowmobile? icefishing stuff?

BRING ON WINTER! :woohoo:

19. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

You keep it out there to Gypsysue! I hate winter, gotta work out in it 10+ hours a day. Wouldn't bother me if it never snowed again!

Guess our indian summer be over. 30+ mph winds an rain all day, more fer tammarraw. Oh well, guess it had ta start sometime.

20. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I can only stand it until about January! That's when MMM and I head to Southern Nevada for 3 months of warmth and sunshine, getting back to Montana in time to plant the garden and watch the grass turn green!

So it's easy to get excited about just a couple months of playing in the snow! :D