Prepared Society Forum banner

Oats ...

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  cowboyhermit 
We grow a lot of oats for feed and grain but never though much about the immature grains for people. They taste ok in the milk stage, not as sweet as wheat or barley though, in my sampling, I have to taste everything:)

The milk to milky dough stage is the best time to cut the plant for optimal nutrition as animal feed, after that the plant begins to die off and it moves nutrients from the straw to the seed. We also cut our oats for grain when it is still a bit green because the animals like the straw a lot better.
Interesting idea.

I recently was reading somewhere about how you can soak whole oats (with hulls still on) in water and mash it up to extract the grain without machinery. I really like oats and believe it to be a particularly healthy food so I will have to do more research on this myself at some point. Hopefully you will let us know how it goes:)

Oat does best in cool moist weather, it doesn't handle heat or drought very well at all so I am surprised you are having trouble. I am curious what the problem is, did it wash out or lodge (flatten on the ground)?

Either way sorry to hear that, up here oats is one of our most dependable crops:dunno:

Sorry ... I missed your post. :eek:

They were washed out.
Well that explains it, too bad:(

crabapple, I know a lot of people are fans of almond milk, it doesn't agree with me very well. I love almonds if they are roasted and I don't eat too many otherwise I don't feel great. A bit too cold up here to grow our own as well;) if we did we would probably use more.

Oats grow extremely well in our climate, and are healthy imo, the only problem is that they need some processing for human use. We have rollers and all sorts of equipment but it would be nice to have a really simple way to use them as well, like we do with wheat, "kutia":factor10::)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.