Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to find a answer and was hoping someone knew the answer here...

So how many times can you open and close a container before the it ( the O2 absorber) doesnt work anymore??

forgive me if this was already threaded, I just havent found it and am feeling impatient looking...

I wish there was a guidline for how many to put in like say a 5 gal bucket...I saw that they come in different CC sizes but couldnt find a guidline to what size and how many one should put in a container ...anyone know??

·
Meoww
643 Posts
You can open the container once. 2000 cc for a 5 gallon bucket is what I use. Its a little overkill but Id rather overkill than it not be enough. 100 to 300 cc is enough for a glass jar depending on how big it is and whats in it. Macaroni has more air than rice so you would put more cc's than you would rice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I cant seem to find a answer and was hoping someone knew the answer here...

So how many times can you open and close a container before the it ( the O2 absorber) doesnt work anymore??

forgive me if this was already threaded, I just havent found it and am feeling impatient looking...

I wish there was a guidline for how many to put in like say a 5 gal bucket...I saw that they come in different CC sizes but couldnt find a guidline to what size and how many one should put in a container ...anyone know??
ONE TIME, then re place them, put the ones taken out and re vac them in a a food savor bag to re use them.I also use 2000cc in a five gal pail

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok...thank you..that gives me a start for sure. I've never used them or mylar bags...as it is I just been lucky I guess and I use stuff as I go. Mold is my biggest threat. I'm wanting to amp storage with the goings on lately in our country and world. Thats a bummer that you can only open once...arg...

thanks again :)

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Found this on optimumpreparedness.com:

•Oxygen Absorbers - 2000 cc for 5-6 gal pails of pasta and other high residual air items
•Oxygen Absorbers - 750 cc for 5-6 gal pails of wheat, rice, oats, etc.
•Oxygen Absorbers - 300 cc for #10 cans or 1 and 1/2 gallon jars

·
Registered
595 Posts
02 & Moisture Absorber Info

ok...thank you..that gives me a start for sure. I've never used them or mylar bags...as it is I just been lucky I guess and I use stuff as I go. Mold is my biggest threat. I'm wanting to amp storage with the goings on lately in our country and world. Thats a bummer that you can only open once...arg...

Thought you might be interested .... www.sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

One of the best unknown sources of long term food storage info........

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Hooch,
Are you asking how many times you can use/reuse one absorber once you've sealed it up in, say a bag of rice? Or are you asking how many times you can open a new package of absorbers, use a few, and seal it back up?

If, for example, you seal up a mylar bag of rice with an absorber and then want to use the rice you can't reuse the absorber.

If you open a new package of absorbers and only need to use half of them you can save the remaining absorbers. I put my left over ones in the smallest canning jar that will hold them all, fill the remaining space with rice and put the lid on as tightly as possible. I'm not sure how long they will keep this way but I know from experience its at least five months.

If I missed the mark completly with your question, I apologize, its been a very long day and I'm more tired than usual.

Take care,
Moose

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hay Moose33

Yea you got it right...basically how many times can I open a container after its been sealed with a O2 absorber before I have to replace the absorber. My thought were If I have a 5 gal pail of say wheat...I'd take out say...two weeks worth and seal it up...but can I reuse the O2 absorber? and the answer is... nope.

Also initially how many to put in a pail and folks here gave good guidance on that one too.

It's a real bummer they are a one time use item cuz maybe I dont want 5 gallon pail of open wheat..just some you know?? so I either purchase extra absorbers for future use to reseal pails or be ok with a large amount of barley or wheat on hand??

Anyways...and yea thanks to everyones input I've stored my extra absorbers in a small mason jar so they dont go bad. they'll be used up soon anyways. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, my first post.
I have several 5 gallon buckets of stored food in mylar and oxy absorbers, but have changed my mind-set and am now storing food (what I can) in 2 & 3 litre soda bottles with a 300cc oxy absorber. I also use pipe joint tape as an extra precaution and my bottles have "sucked up" and are holding the vacuum ok. I am concerned with the next 5 years, not 20 years out and I think the bottles will be just fine. The only downsides I see is that the openings are small and it takes a little time to fill, especially with pintos and that the sun will break the plastic down. My bottles, once filled will probably never see straight sunshine, so no worries there. I like the idea of smaller see through containers and if one would go bad, it isn't such a loss if it were a 5 gallon bucket. Also makes for a great barter size. I have also thought about 20 oz soda bottles filled with a food product as small barter items. Just my take on the soda bottles......
Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Hooch,
?

If you open a new package of absorbers and only need to use half of them you can save the remaining absorbers. I put my left over ones in the smallest canning jar that will hold them all, fill the remaining space with rice and put the lid on as tightly as possible. I'm not sure how long they will keep this way but I know from experience its at least five months.

Take care,
Moose
I do exactly the same thing with my extra absorbers. And, I use a hair dryer to heat up the lids because I think they seal better when warm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is an expensive way to go but one that we use. We add an 02 absorber to quart or 1/2 gallon canning jars and then vacuum seal the jars screw on the rings and place into storage. The canning lids can be reused for this methodology but never reuse them for canning.

This allows us to rotate stock and never have more open than needed. It took us a long time to aquire the canning jars. We store our dehydrated fruits, veggies and grains this way. Some are 15 years old and taste as fresh as if purchased yesterday.

Big NO-NO: Never use an 02 absorber with sugar. Sugar is fine but it becomes a rock in 3-5 years. No need for an absorber with salt either.
Now we just lightly vac. seal our sugar, candies and choc. chips(life would suck without CC cookies).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone putting elbow macaroni in 2 litre soda bottles? If so, is one 300cc oxygen absorber enough for macaroni? Works great with rice and even beans, but elbow macaroni has more air space.
Also, any thoughts on storing Post Grape Nuts the same way? Think they would hold up for five years?
Thanks......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hooch- an O2 absorber can absorb "x" ccs of oxygen, then it's spent. If you put in an O2 absorber that was way oversized for your container then you *could* open it, grab some food and then close it, using the same O2 absorber. But since the darn things only cost $0.07, why not buy a bunch of extras?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Big NO-NO: Never use an 02 absorber with sugar. Sugar is fine but it becomes a rock in 3-5 years. No need for an absorber with salt either.
Why is it a big no no to use an 02 absorber with sugar? Because it doesn't need it? because something bad would happen? More information would be good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Why is it a big no no to use an 02 absorber with sugar? Because it doesn't need it? because something bad would happen? More information would be good.
Ezmerelda,

Oxygen absorbers will not harm the sugar in any way. The sugar will still be fine to eat. However, using an 02 absorber will cause the sugar to become rock hard. You will need an auger to get it out of the container. Sugar is sugar.....dissolve it in water and let the water evaporate and you still have sugar. The same holds true with salt. When we put up sugar in quart jars, bags and even 5 gallon buckets we only apply a light vacuum and then seal it up. I'm sorry if I caused you any grief. Save your bucks when putting up salt and sugar.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts