Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBeing new here I probably missed it some place so forgive me if I did...

I keep reading all these stories where the dude has his rig converted to "NON" elect Diesel, that's cool, but where is the information? I've googled it, no results, I've looked every place I can think of but it eludes me...so I contacted a friend who's a diesel mech...(big rigs) he had no idea...am I missing something?

So, please..without waving the dummy flag at me, where do I look?...

Thanks
HB

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
IBeing new here I probably missed it some place so forgive me if I did...

I keep reading all these stories where the dude has his rig converted to "NON" elect Diesel, that's cool, but where is the information? I've googled it, no results, I've looked every place I can think of but it eludes me...so I contacted a friend who's a diesel mech...(big rigs) he had no idea...am I missing something?

So, please..without waving the dummy flag at me, where do I look?...

Thanks
HB
HB, is this what you are looking for. If not they are cool anyway. Old school diesel, long run, 1/4 gal per hour fuel useage for the single cylinder.

Lister CS slow speed cold start diesel generator** India

Listeroids

Listeroid Diesel Generator

Pricing... 12/1 Lister Diesel Engine

I'll keep looking if that is what you want, you be a dummy like me!!!:D

Holey, moley, now I want one bad.:woohoo: Thanks for the compulsion:cry:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Bob, I meant for vehicle!! ...but thanks anyway!...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks alot for turning me on to these, you are not very nice!!!:ignore::D

Got to have one! Got to have one! Got to have one! Got to have one! Got to have one! Got to have one!.....:nuts:
Uh..does this mean you found some or just heard about them?... I only know about them from reading some of the stories right here on this site...By Jerry D. Young...almost everything he writes mentions somebody buying some kind of something and converting it to Non Elect Diesel...as I said in my OP... nobody I know in the diesel mech field has heard of them.... EMP proof so to speak...

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Are you talking about a diesel with no electronic controls so that it would still function after an EMP blast?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
3,698 Posts
I've been out of the automotive repair business for a few years now so I can't help much on newer diesels. (In fact, at the last dealership I worked at I told the service manager if he ever parked another diesel in my stall again I'd pack up my tools and leave.)

What you need to ask your mechanic about is electronic controls that would go bad on a diesel powered vehicle in an EMP attack. Some of the newer diesels use electric on/off switches for the fuel supply. I don't know how these would be affected by EMP. The old diesel had mechanical switches to turn the fuel to the pump on and off. I don't know if you could convert newer diesels to this system or not.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been out of the automotive repair business for a few years now so I can't help much on newer diesels. (In fact, at the last dealership I worked at I told the service manager if he ever parked another diesel in my stall again I'd pack up my tools and leave.)

What you need to ask your mechanic about is electronic controls that would go bad on a diesel powered vehicle in an EMP attack. Some of the newer diesels use electric on/off switches for the fuel supply. I don't know how these would be affected by EMP. The old diesel had mechanical switches to turn the fuel to the pump on and off. I don't know if you could convert newer diesels to this system or not.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Thank MM, maybe the thing to do is just find an older diesel type eng and build something from scratch...
No power anything..I can still remember how to roll up a window, ain'[t done it for years but I believe I can!! :D
It's something to do when I get back up in the Great White...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
general topics > planning & training (? I think) > "The E Bomb"

this thread describes the diesel vehicle a little more and an EMP attack

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
What you are looking for in the "non-electric" diesel is some of the older models pre '88 where everything that runs the motor is mechanical instead of being computer controlled.

You might want to look at some big-rig based diesel as well. I found this on the "local" Kijiji but it is physically located in ME ..

Kijiji said:
2000 Kenworth 900W Motor Home or garage, 45' L, w/pre-computer 475HP Cat & Fuller 10spd twin screw w/61K orig. mi., 16" bunkhouse sleeps 3-4, dinette, kitchenette, 1/2 bathroom and closet, ample drawers, 22.5' garage w/elec beavertail ramp dr, 9000 #winch and a 6000 # lift. Freshly renovated. Exc for show cars, antique classics, race cars or deliveries. Asking a very fair $145,000 and we will talk. Go to http://www.nostalgialighting.com/bigbird for more pictures and specs. Comparable rigs almost twice this....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks NaeKid, I think your right, I bought a Buick La Sabre with the disel eng in 1982, it was a great car! don't no if it was a "non elec" but it was a good car... of course I think it was a basic 8 cyl gas end converted to diesel at the factory... that just might be the way to go...lots of those sitting around in junk yards...

As for the big rig!! nice but..uh NO!!

·
3,698 Posts
Those I did work on. They have an electric fuel selonoid that shuts off the fuel to kill the engine. It would probably survive an EMP blast. (No real "electronics in it. It's just a simple solenoid switch.)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those I did work on. They have an electric fuel selonoid that shuts off the fuel to kill the engine. It would probably survive an EMP blast. (No real "electronics in it. It's just a simple solenoid switch.)
MM, I can't remember much about it but I think I got about 25 MPG with it, and it had all the power one could want, it would snap your head back when it took off and shifted gears...if that means anything... I do remember folks saying they weren't "true" diesels because they were just a converted gasser...your thoughts please???

my thoughts were to have a older 4x4 with no power windows or door locks or any of that crap, just a tuff truck set up to go when the going gets tuff with a stick sshift...what are your thoughts on this idea using that type eng???

·
3,698 Posts
MM, I can't remember much about it but I think I got about 25 MPG with it, and it had all the power one could want, it would snap your head back when it took off and shifted gears...if that means anything... I do remember folks saying they weren't "true" diesels because they were just a converted gasser...your thoughts please???

my thoughts were to have a older 4x4 with no power windows or door locks or any of that crap, just a tuff truck set up to go when the going gets tuff with a stick sshift...what are your thoughts on this idea using that type eng???
The original GM diesels were Oldsmobile gasoline 5.7 L (350 ci) engines converted to diesel. We had tons of problems with them. The intitial problems were usually related to the Roosa Master pumps which had several upgrades of governer rings. The second major problem was with head gaskets. They just wouldn't hold up. ANYTIME you have the head bolts out of a 5.7 diesel you must put new headbolts back in. They were torqued to "yield" which means they actually stretched a little bit when you torqued them down. If you tried to do it again they wuld strecth even more. At that time head bolts were $5.00 each and you had ten for each head. The reason I quit working on them was because the service manager would not add the $100.00 to the estimate and wanted me to put the old head bolts back in. That's when I told them forget it and I wouldn't work on anymore of them. (They had a guy who was suppose dot do the diesels but he was sometimes snowed under. I was hired for electronic engine controls - fuel injection, electronic carburetors, emission controls, etc. and drive train repair including automatic transmissions.)

Anyway, if you had one and had good luck with it you were in the minority. A lot of the other problems were because a lot of people bought them and didn't know how to keep them going in cold wather. (Mix the fuel or use an anti-gel additive and plug them in to a heater when it was cold.)

If you're interested in a diesel get references from people who are using them in your area. I can't imagine them being too hard to EMP proof.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like you my main roots are in Montana, that's where I had the Buick... I just talked to a friend of mine who pulls her big horse trailer/with bunk house all over MT with her 84 7.2 diesel Ford, seems to me that an 84 wouldn't have much in the way of computer chips in them... this may be the way for me to go...I had no idea that Ford was putting diesels in their trucks in 84...so... I'll be looking into that, have you any idea what eng. Ford was using?..

Thanks
HB

·
3,698 Posts
Like you my main roots are in Montana, that's where I had the Buick... I just talked to a friend of mine who pulls her big horse trailer/with bunk house all over MT with her 84 7.2 diesel Ford, seems to me that an 84 wouldn't have much in the way of computer chips in them... this may be the way for me to go...I had no idea that Ford was putting diesels in their trucks in 84...so... I'll be looking into that, have you any idea what eng. Ford was using?..

Thanks
HB
Sorry, can't help you there.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
HB-I live on a farm here in PA. We never had a diesel pickup but lots of other farmers we know did. I don't know the particulars of the engines, but I do remember even when I was a little kid in the early 80's a lot of people my dad knows having diesel pickups. I guess my point is simply that I'll bet when you start looking you'll be surprised at how relatively easy it'll be to find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
333 Posts
HP, go to autotrader.com and punch in chevy trucks '82 to '87. There are lots of listings for ex-military 1-ton diesels, most under $6000, lots under $4000. Low milage, I found one with less than 11,000 miles for $3,450. Happy hunting

1 - 20 of 34 Posts