No tech blacksmithing

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Tirediron, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Interesting, a craft I have been interested in learning, just no time.

3. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Just checked out the site because I have a close friend that wants to become a blacksmith(old world kind). There was also a great article on small scale blacksmithing two issues ago in Backwoodsman Magazine.

4. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

there is a really good book by Charles McRaven (I can't recall the title),that explains the art very well and has a good heat treating /tempering guide
    :2thumb:

5. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I love that magazine!its the best "no Rambo"survival zine out there!:2thumb:

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

The Log Cabin Store in Lodi, Oh. has a whole shelf devoted to old world blacksmithing, lots of good books. They have an online catalog also. I love Back Woodsman Magazine, I read every issue cover to cover. It is loaded with good ideas for scouting events!

7. chancemft

chancemft Member

There is a web site called anvilfire that has a lot of good info.

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

One day I have to post some pics of the junk I made for my shop.great article!

9. BrownCountyPrepper

BrownCountyPrepper New Member

10. chancemft

chancemft Member

what kind of stuff do you make? I make a little bit of everything myself. My dad and my grandfather were & my dad still does blacksmith, so having grown up around it, I think at one time or another I've either tried or have made it. I'm glad to see other people are relearning this skill, I think it will be a very valueable thing to know how to do.