Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Air Force
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a set of night vision goggles. Price should be around 500.

I know that limits me to 3rd generation type.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Take a look at Opticplanet.com
In that price range, I've only seen gen 1. The gen 3 stuff seems to be at least $1800 and up.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
My son (who is in his 20s) got a pair in the toy section at Wal-mart last year. They run on AA batteries, and they strap onto the head like a pair of binoculars with...well, a head strap. They work SURPRISINGLY good, and he paid $30 for them. I'm going to get a pair if they have them this year. I've borrowed them from him for a few weeks, and my husband and I are having a great time walking around the house and yard in the dark with them. He even wore them out to close up the chickens the other night after dark, and said how cool the chickens looked!

Might seem stupid to post this on an a thread where someone is looking for a real pair, but for those of us without money for real ones, these are a great cheap option. We'll probably use them some day on a nightwatch stand or something, if TSHTF.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Sue, what's the brand name on those toy goggles? My son would love them and they'll be handy for us, too.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yeah, if you want goggles, that does sort of limit you to GenI stuff. You could probably find a monocular or scope in Gen II for around that price. I know I bought a Gen I monocular about six years ago for about $200, so I am sure that would open up your options a bit.
Night Vision Store - Night Vision Goggles Index

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think I would rather have a device that could be installed behind an Aimpoint on the weapon itself.
Agreed. I feel like the goggle systems are too bulky to allow easy movement in dark conditions. Now, granted, i've never used them, but it seems so to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts