Newsweek sold for $1

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by OldFashionedMama, Aug 3, 2010.

1. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Newsweek Losses Revealed - The Daily Beast

I had a philosophy professor last semester who loved this pathetic magazine. I wish I would've had a tape recorder rolling when he told the class "Turn off Fox News and get a subscription to Newsweek." He even had us write a few little essays on articles from it. not really sure what someone with a PhD gets out of reading it, considering it's written at a 5th grade reading level (at the most lol).

2. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Print media is dieing, and it appears quicker than expected.

3. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I believe "news" magazines and papers will be hit hardest of all. The liberal slant to most will be their downfall. Like the televangelists of the 80's when the truth comes out the support dies away and they're seen for the phonies they are.

4. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

not just print medium

journalism...

5. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

It isn't that there are no stories or articles, just that the way of getting them to the public is changing.

I think journalism will survive but journalists are going to have to adapt to the times like everyone else. It's time to get creative!

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Well, I have never taken the newspaper, have NO magazines other than the obligatory American Rifleman due to my NRA membership, and stopped watching TV three months ago - do NOT miss it.

Get all I need online. :)

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I'm rethinking whether to renew some of the subscriptions I have.

I get most of the news and other information I need/want from the internet.

Mostly here on Prepared Society!

I can see why fewer people are paying to get that information, via magazines, etc. That's hard for me to say, too...my husband and I both write for magazines.

8. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I guess I was a little vague. By journalism I didn't mean the stories, I meant the practice of constructing in-depth stories by gathering and vetting information, regardless of your opinion on the subject. Journalism these days seems to be more about how this story can connect with this or that poll or rating. who's up who's down, it's all a game.

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

yeah, and some of the journalists are trying to pull the strings in the game.

10. townparkradio

townparkradio Family Friendly DJ

Exactly. Everyone thinks it's such a huge leap into the future that "blogging" is overtaking professional journalism. I think it's the biggest step backwards we've ever taken in journalism. Take a look at Matt Drudge's website. (which is DRUDGE REPORT 2010® NOT Drudge Retort: Red Meat for Yellow Dogs) The information on that is about half vetted and reliable, and half bizzare crap the Matt pulled out of his imagination. The issue? There's no way to tell what is what.

Sad thing? He's one of the most reliable "bloggers" out there. I actually mourn the death of printed media... printed media required at least some slight semblance of objectivity, and the reporters are easier to hold accountable. blogging is not about news, it's about entertainment. At least (most) printed papers were just about news. A liberal or conservative slant ON the news, to be sure, but they can;t just make stuff up out of whole cloth.

Think blogging is so wonderful? Lookit Sarah Palin. thanks to the blogosphere, people publish as "reliable" a whole plethora of stupid things she never said.

And I STILL laugh when people chide Palin over some notes on her hand. Cause yeah that's SO much worse than Obama's utter inability to talk off a teleprompter at all.