NewsReport - Calgary IceStorm 2010

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by NaeKid, Apr 9, 2010.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I only had blips to my power during the storm, drove around right after the main blizzard-conditions subsided to get gas in my Jeep (I was a quarter-tank left) - talked to my step-brother in the east-end of town and found how he lost power for about an hour and my step-daughter was also without power for about an hour (they live a few blocks away from each other). I did have to remove about 2.5" of snow that packed into the side of my Jeep before going for gas, and the snow / ice that I left on my Jeep really made it feel very heavy.

A few accident, some branches fell off of trees and visibility was pretty sketchy when I was driving, but, my sure-footed Jeep held the road nicely ..

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Is it gone now, everything back to 'normal'?. WOW!!

3. NaeKid

Ya - back to wearin' a t-shirt and shorts today. The snow was basically melted off my Jeep at noon today (was still heavy-covering when I drove into work this morning) with only heavy icicles hanging off the body-work

I have already had a couple of fire-pits this year in the backyard cookin' my supper over the open fire. We haven't had our big-dump of spring-snow yet this year - in a couple weeks I expect to report on a 12 - 24" dump that falls in about 6hrs timeframe.

4. NaeKid

Just found this ...

Looks like the storm that blasted us yesterday is having some fun in the next province over ...

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

And we here in the south (relativly speaking) would very much appreciate it if keeps skipping across Canada. :D

6. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

We got that storm in my area, too. In some places, the power was out from around 4pm to about 11 pm. One colleague told me at work today that he'd had to skip supper because he was without power (couldn't run the stove), his barbeque was gas and on an unprotected side of the house (couldn't drag it into the garage to cook), his car was trapped in the garage (no power to the automatic opener, and he didn't know how to open it otherwise), and no food in the house that didn't require cooking. He also commented he and his wife had been bored silly (no TV), and that they'd been pretty chilly (no power for the furnace fan).

I told him that when I heard the storm was coming (the storm warning was published in the early afternoon), I'd dug out my Coleman stove, a kerosene lamp, a few board games, and the sleeping bags, just in case the power went out. I also mentioned we keep granola bars, cheese and crackers, and other no-cook snacks around for just in case. He looked pretty sheepish. Maybe next time, he'll be more prepared...

Sure am glad we don't have those problems around my place, though :D