1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CalgarySun said:
Freak storm hits city
By Shawn Logan

Wicked spring weather sparked chaos Thursday as crews scrambled to deal with sweeping power outages, downed electrical lines and dozens of car crashes.

A late afternoon squall that blew into the city during the evening rush left 51,000 homes in northeast Calgary without power, while a blustery snowstorm reduced visibility to almost zero, resulting in several multi-vehicle collisions.

Enmax spokeswoman Doris Kaufmann said three power lines - in Ogden, Huntington Hills and at Deerfoot and 64 Ave. N.E. - were felled by heavy winds which, along with transmission problems from outside the city, resulted in lights out for a swath of homes and businesses.

"About 20 communities in the northeast all had actual power outages - two substations were out," she said.

"We also got calls from people across the city about flickering lights but that was predominantly in the north."

Most homes had power restored within an hour while Ogden took about two hours to get back on the grid, Kaufmann said.

Even the Calgary International Airport wasn't spared as the facility's power went out, resulting in at least 16 flight cancellations and dozens of delays.

Airport spokeswoman Jody Moseley said power from the airport's generator was used to keep essential operations online.

"We redirected all available electricity to essential and emergency services," she said.

Emergency services in and around Calgary were spread thin responding to several crashes including a 20-car pile up on the QEII Highway just south of Airdrie.

RCMP Sgt. Patricia Neely said as many as 50 crashes had been reported on surrounding highways, prompting Mounties to close the highway from Airdrie to the Carstairs overpass, as well as the Trans-Canada Hwy. near Strathmore.

In one crash near Olds investigators said some 54 vehicles were involved in one collision while a propane tanker that overturned near Crossfield forced an hours-long closure.

No injuries were reported.

Within city limits, emergency crews responded to more than a dozen collisions and had to deal with dozens of intersections that saw traffic lights doused by power problems, said Insp. Terry Larson.
I only had blips to my power during the storm, drove around right after the main blizzard-conditions subsided to get gas in my Jeep (I was a quarter-tank left) - talked to my step-brother in the east-end of town and found how he lost power for about an hour and my step-daughter was also without power for about an hour (they live a few blocks away from each other). I did have to remove about 2.5" of snow that packed into the side of my Jeep before going for gas, and the snow / ice that I left on my Jeep really made it feel very heavy.

A few accident, some branches fell off of trees and visibility was pretty sketchy when I was driving, but, my sure-footed Jeep held the road nicely ..

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya - back to wearin' a t-shirt and shorts today. The snow was basically melted off my Jeep at noon today (was still heavy-covering when I drove into work this morning) with only heavy icicles hanging off the body-work

I have already had a couple of fire-pits this year in the backyard cookin' my supper over the open fire. We haven't had our big-dump of spring-snow yet this year - in a couple weeks I expect to report on a 12 - 24" dump that falls in about 6hrs timeframe.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found this ...

CalgarySun said:
Sask. blasted with April snowstorm

April is feeling more like January in Saskatchewan.

On Friday, parts of the prairie province were smacked with wet snow and 100-km/h winds that downed trees, knocked out the power for thousands and created dangerous driving conditions on many roads.

The SGI office building in downtown Regina was even evacuated because of wind-related safety concerns.

Environment Canada issued a winter storm warning for much of southern Saskatchewan.

The worst of the weather hit the Battleford and Kindersley regions, where heavy snow and powerful winds created blizzard conditions across a large territory.

The nasty conditions were forecast to move north to the Saskatoon and Martensville regions by midday.

Motorists were advised to stay off the roads.

Further north, in the Meadow Lake Region, rain changed to snow - lots of it. The region could get up to 15 cm of snow before the storm ends.
Looks like the storm that blasted us yesterday is having some fun in the next province over ...

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
And we here in the south (relativly speaking) would very much appreciate it if keeps skipping across Canada. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
We got that storm in my area, too. In some places, the power was out from around 4pm to about 11 pm. One colleague told me at work today that he'd had to skip supper because he was without power (couldn't run the stove), his barbeque was gas and on an unprotected side of the house (couldn't drag it into the garage to cook), his car was trapped in the garage (no power to the automatic opener, and he didn't know how to open it otherwise), and no food in the house that didn't require cooking. He also commented he and his wife had been bored silly (no TV), and that they'd been pretty chilly (no power for the furnace fan).

I told him that when I heard the storm was coming (the storm warning was published in the early afternoon), I'd dug out my Coleman stove, a kerosene lamp, a few board games, and the sleeping bags, just in case the power went out. I also mentioned we keep granola bars, cheese and crackers, and other no-cook snacks around for just in case. He looked pretty sheepish. Maybe next time, he'll be more prepared...

Sure am glad we don't have those problems around my place, though :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts