Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Banned
27 Posts
I was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic, but to me thats like saying someone is a little pregnant:rolleyes:
Right now I'm in the test test test phase. I'm watching portion size and checking carbs and then testing to see what, in my normal way of eating sets off my numbers.
Now this is something else I have to prep for. I'm on a medication for this so now I need to start the process of stockpiling it like I did for some of my other meds.
I also need to get extra batteries and strips for the tester and pack them away ( rotate of course).

I tell ya, sometimes I just wanna :surrender:

But, I'm too much a "female dog" to do that.:D I'm going out kicking and screaming.;)
So, now I'm thinking, that all the pasta that we like, that I've stocked, may no t be want I need to stock.
But then I'm thinking, but if shtf, I'll definitely be doing more physical work so I'll be burning the sugars off, so maybe I can still keep the pastas.

Being new to this I'm still confused about things.

I'm wondering who else on here is doing battle with diabetes and how exactly they're prepping knowing this.
I'll take any hints and suggestions.

Actually,There are three types of diabetes. types are:- diabetes 1, diabetes 2 and gestational diabetes.
diabetes 1 and diabetes 2 are last for life time and some medication treatments are given to the patients but gestational diabetes resolves after child birth.
so, go to the doctor and test to check your diabetes, if you are in confusion.

· Registered
119 Posts
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 7 years ago and control it mainly with diet and two glucophage pills a day. I get more exercise mostly by walking my dog longer and more often and in gardening and maintaining a fruit orchard.

I've noticed that by eating less but more often, I do not get blood sugar spikes and lows. I may have a carrot and then an apple two hours later, then something else two hours later. I don't usually have large meals. This light snacking is better than three meals a day for a diabetic.

Another thing I noticed is that, before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I would eat a pancake or something sweet, and then two hours later would have low blood sugar, but if I ate a slice of bacon or other protein with the sweet, that wouldn't happen. The same thing happens now...I may have something sweet but also some protein at the same time and it does not mess up blood sugars.

There are herbs that help, including cinnamon: stock LOTS of cinnamon!

Sioux Indians say that juniper berrries will help diabetes.

Plant Jerusalem artichokes and use them instead of potatoes. You can even plant some on vacant land somewhere if you don't have a spot on your own land where they can multiply...they grow like weeds. The roots are eaten like potatoes and are high in inulin, which is good for diabetes.

Here is a lot of information and ideas on diabetes when there are no medicines, even a couple who made their own insulin:
Diabetes Management at the End of Civilization
You would have to be desparate to try to make insulin, but of course a type 1 diabetic would be desparate enough to give it a try.

The most important thing for type 2 diabetics is to try to eat more complex carbohydrates and not simple carbs that convert too soon to sugar. Eating table sugar is one thing, eating whole wheat is quite another, even though they are both carbohydrates. The whole wheat breaks down and releases its sugar much more slowly and doesn't overwhelm the body's ability to manufacture insulin.

A survival diet of whole wheat and a protein food like meat or beans would be a good diabetic diet too. White rice can be eaten more sparingly and then with a protein. A diet high in fiber, like beans or whole grains, is better than something more refined. I think the PERCENTAGE of carbs in your diet compared to other nutrients and fibers is a main consideration.

We will all probably be getting more exercise after SHTF, and that will help too. I have a feeling diabetes won't be such a large factor after SHTF as it is now in the lifes of type 2's.

If your doctor will allow it, try not to go on insulin if you can possibly control it with oral meds. The medicines help increase the effectiveness of the insulin you already produce, but taking insulin will make your body lazy...if it doesn't HAVE to produce insulin, it will quit doing it and just let the meds take over. This may be okay to give your body a rest for awhile, especially if you are ill, but it's like someone who gets into the habit on being on welfare...it does get to be a habit if it's long term and harder to drop it later!

136 Posts
For what its worth ..my dad became diabetic in his early 70's..the doctor placed him on a diet..he never would stray off from it even on special occassions..2 yrs later..he was back to normal..Im sure he was on some medications also..but he and I both believe it was hes dedication to the diet that did it..hes no longer on any meds for it...I wish same luck to you

· Supporting Member
3,412 Posts
I was diagmosed in Feb this year, taking four shots a day to keep it under control at the time. Went real strict on my diet with help of hospital dietician, started walking 30 minutes every day and by May, doc took me off insulin and switched me to pills; I had lost 40 pounds and still had pancreas function. As of yesterday, I'm down 56 pounds and doc is trying to take me off pills too. I'm lifting and doing cardio exercise, still watching diet and hoping to see last of pills and sticking my fingers! Doc says if I keep up exercise and good diet, I may stay medecine free. Good luck to you OP and others; it's been a journey for sure.
Awesome job! Congradulations!!!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.