Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,922 Posts
My hubs was diagnoised two years ago with type 2 and I took charge of his diet totally as he refused to do the reading/researching.
Get more veggie and meat in your diet- at the moment, cut as much of the potato, pasta and rice and white bread/white flour group as you can.
WALK! get in at least 2 more miles a day than you do now-to know if you are doing it, get a Pedometer and do normal stuff for one week-do the average on your steps and then do more each day till you get to at least two miles more per day(most of them Pedometers have mileage on them for you or kilometers depending on where you are from).
Hubs can have real sugar items but it is best if they are really small portions and eaten with your big meal of the day. He found out a few months before dear daughters wedding, but dr. said a small slice of cake with only half the frosting would be ok and we checked his sugar and it was ok!)
They used to say no sugar ever but they have since learned that the body can't tell between carbs from sugar and carbs from french fries(which are hubs biggest nightmare-they turn to sugar faster in his blood than shooting up honey!)

Do watch your fats and switch to olive oil and real butter(small portions again) add avocado to your diet, much better oil for your system.
Many times type 2 diabetics will also have very high blood fat levels!

Dr. and his nurse asked what I was doing to get hubby's levels down so well (he is going to be lowering his pills to the lowest he can have and was told if he lost about 30 to 40 more pounds he might not have to be on pills at all!) I told them that it is the exercise and trying to cook much more from scratch and getting rid of all the high processed crap that he used to love. Also getting rid of all the High Fructose Corn Syrup stuff never hurt either..
I make many of my own condiments from scratch like BBQ sauce as they have that HFCS hidden in them. A good breakfast of oatmeal alllllll week long and a real breakfast on the weekends helps too.
I am sure that there is more, but I am running out of steam now!

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Good coconut oil is very good for your! I just didn't mention it as I have had major flak from folks before about coconut oil being so horrible that I should have mentioned it!
I love the flavor and the texture it gives good fried stuff! yummy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.