Newbie to the Prepared Society

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by optimist45, Mar 27, 2010.

1. optimist45

optimist45 Member

I am in Central California. Very concerned about country's fiscal viability. I have been learning and preparing for about 5 months.

I joined to ask questions from others and network.

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome! :wave:

I joined to ask questions from others and network - So what is on your mind??????????? ask away!:D

3. optimist45

optimist45 Member

Solar Oven

I eventually want to get my house to be off the grid or at least be able to survive with electricity.

My immediate project is to make a solar oven. I have the plans for it but trying to find out if I should use a fresnel lens, glass or just heavy plastic. A fresnel lens looks like it heats excessively and may burn food and even the wood I would use to make the oven.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Lots of folks around here to help you along. :wave:

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:eek:ptimist45 from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Here are some links to ready made solar ovens, you could get some ideas from those... American Educational Products SR-GS4702 Sunspot Solar Oven
    By gosh there is even a solar oven society... Solar Oven Society

This is one of the best I've seen... Sun Ovens Solar Cooking - Sun Oven, Solar Cooking | SunOven.com

My simple site may answer some of your off-grid questions.

7. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

Hello and Welcome

glad to have you, there is a wealth of info on this site, check out some of the old posts too