newbie looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rlfleming3, Aug 9, 2010.

1. rlfleming3

rlfleming3 New Member

what’s up? I have a family of 5 and need some advice on what to put in a emergency kit for the house, cars, BOB etc....I kind of understand the basics but am looking for the things that fall through the cracks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Welcome.

What have you done so far to setup your e-packs? There are so many things that can be done that you probably are doing already, without thinking about it.

A baby-bag is an e-pack of sorts, being filled with diapers, clothes, food, cleaning supplies, toys, etc. A toddler-bag, being similar to a baby-bag will have all those things, but, will be modified to suit that toddler. Sometimes mom's purse becomes that toddler-bag. The family car (truck, etc) expands on that toddler-bag by having all the security stuff inside it, including a car-seat or booster-seat as well as toys, blankets, food (water) and such.

If you can let us know a little more about your family, we might be able to help you fine-tune your kits, well, till the next year when they are all just one year older. :congrat:

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Take a little, OK, maybe a lot, of time and read through the threads. I believe most of your questions can be answered in the extensive "library" that has been built here. If you can't find it; ask. Lots of good folks here to help :wave:

4. rlfleming3

rlfleming3 New Member

Good anolagy and great advice, thanks for the feedback. right now all I have is one of those all in one 5 gallon bucket 72-hour emergency kits. I feel like I have a lot of stuff to customize a kit of my own which is where I would eventually like to be. I just have to put it all together

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That is a great start, and from there you can continue to build as required.

There is a thread in the Tools and Emergency kits section called BugOutKit / BugOutBag. In that thread you can download and read a .pdf file about all kinds of kits to suit many different scenerios. Of course, you don't need to stop there, there are all kinds of other subjects that you can read that will touch-on getting answers to questions that you haven't asked, yet ;)

Take a peak around the site, read the multiple threads on the subjects and whenever you have a question, no matter how old the thread is, you are welcome to bump the thread to the top with your comment / question.

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard,:wave: definately read through the threads. Everybodies circumstances are slightly different, take what applies to you and add your 2 cents. Ask questions.

7. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Welcome, :welcome:rlfleming3 from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

8. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

:welcome: Glad to meet Ya! Lots of good stuff here.

9. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. As other have already mentioned read the posts as there is a lot of useful info contained within. There are so many ways to skin this cat.........

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions here. We look forward to anything you have to share with us, too!