New Toy

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Vertigo, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hi all,

thought I would share this with you guys and ladies. Christmas, brought me a nice present I have been longing for, for a long time.

A very nice .117 air rifle. It's a Turkish' Hatsan break-barrel air rifle.

More precisely the MOD 135

HATSAN ARMS COMPANY - AIRGUNS MOD 135

Tomorrow morning I will give this bad boy a "shoot-in" (shoot-out?), but for the moment first impressions are that this is one beast of an air rifle. It weighs 8.8 pounds! And breaking the barrel, is insanely hard for a "its-just-an-airrifle" kind of gun. Seriously, after doing this for about 20 times, I will have a full upper-body workout!

I don't know about the power first hand yet, so I have to rely on the producer specs and what some air rifle forums say about it. And it appears to rank among the hardest-hitting.

Anyway, I will still need to get myself a scope for it, any suggestions are welcome. And from now on the jackdaw's in the garden will have to watch it! :D

As soon as I am able to, I'll try to get a more balanced and complete overview in the product review section. I'll also try to get some pic's up.

Btw, please do not make fun of me and my little air rifle. It's all I can have.

:D :2thumb:

greetz and merry christmas to all of you!

V.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

It's sure better than a stick! :2thumb:

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I definitely would not make fun of you, I have always wanted a decent air rifle, what fun.:2thumb:
    Lets us know how it performs. Make sure you get a scope made for an air rifle, they actually are harder on scopes than regular rifles.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Very nice ... congrats! :D

5. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

6. jeepntxj

jeepntxj New Member

Careful. You'll shoot your eye out.

And stay away from icicles.

7. Icbones

Icbones Member

It is true. Get a scope for an air rifle. BTW it is not uncommon to spend as much on the scope as the rifle itself cost.

8. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

If it's not being to forward what did it set ya back. Look's like a top of the line rifle. I,d like to own one. Very nice.

9. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

@bunkerbob: I just meant to say that as a joke. Since most of the people here own 'real' firearms, I am still a beginner to all this :)

@kyfarmer: I am unsure about the exact price, since it was a gift by my parents. (who are actually very anti-gun!) But I did see this particular rifle in the shop where they bought it, about 6 months ago, and if I recall correctly it was priced at 275 euros (= 395 USD) So not really a very cheap air rifle.

I actually haven't shot it yet, since it is at home, while I am studying for my january exams in my apartment close to the university. Bit of a bummer, but nothing to do about it. There is no possibility for me to bring and shoot it over here, since this is a city. So I will probably have to wait until the 30th of january to shoot it... :(

In any case I will be looking for a scope for it, only problem is I have no experience whatsoever with buying scopes. I have read that air rifles need a special kind of scope (or at least a special kind of mount) which is extra sturdy, because of the vibrations that occur when firing it, but that's about the gross amount of knowledge I have about them.

If someone has any experience with air rifles and their scopes, let me know, because I could surely use your expertise.

as an extra, I'll try to post some pictures of it (if I can manage to get this to work :) )

greetz and thanks for all your input!

V.

10. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

(hope this works)

11. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WOW!!! that is one beautiful weapon. Nice pick, something more for me to look forward to.

12. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Thanks bunkerbob!

I'll get a review up after my exams

greetz,

V.

13. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hi all,

Some updates on my air rifle, some good new, some bad:

Good news is I have purchased a Busnell sportsman scope for air rifles, with which I am quite happy with actually.

Bad news is my air rifle itself is in repairs... You won't believe this:

A piece of my wooden stock broke off. (And I did not even hit anyone with it...) I literally mean, it fell off, during benchrested shooting. I have brought it back to the shop where I bought the rifle and they sent it back to the factory, where it will receive an entirely new wooden stock.

Apparently the wood was bad in that spot. They explained me that this sometimes happens, when wood gets dried and processed it might get a certain tension because the wood wants to warp further, yet it has already been put into a shape. So the tension builds up and produces very fine cracks in the wood. Unfortunately for me it was right along the place where the screws for the butt plate fit. So when those screws put a little extra tension in that area, it was only a matter of time before the heavy vibrations of this air rifle would make it crack even further...

Anyway, it has been gone now for over 3 weeks, I hope to get it back soon, cause I have not even fired 50 pellets through it yet...

Once I get it back, and I have some spare time and the weather is good, I'll try and make a review out of it. (yeah I know, it has been a long time coming, but cut me some slack, I've got a lot on my hands with my thesis).

Btw, has anyone of you ever had that happen? That a wooden stock, suddenly drops a piece, or cracks somewhere without having been abused?

greetz,

Vertigo

14. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

It is a beautiful looking rifle. On the scope, the Bushnell will probably handle the recoil ok. It's my understanding that air rifle and crossbow scopes have the parallax adjustment set for closer ranges. As long as you have good, consistent eye-to-scope alignment it shouldn't matter.

To check for parallax set the rifle in a good, solid rest. Look through the scope at an object in the distance (since this is an air rifle the distance probably shouldn't exceed fifty or so yards/meters). Move your eye to different positions without moving the rifle and note if the crosshairs on the scope change position on the target. For instance, with proper eye/scope alignment center the crosshairs on a target. Now move your head lower on the stock and look through the scope. You may not have a full field of view but you should still see the crosshairs and the target. If the parallax is wrong when you look through the scope from a lower eye position the crosshairs will be on a different part of the target than before. Like I said before, if your eye/scope alignment is consistent there should be no problem even if the parallax is not "correct." The problem may come if you shoot from the prone position or shooting around cover or from concealment when your face is not in the same place on the stock. (And therefore your eye/scope alignment is off slightly.)

One other thing, some air rifles do not reach their full accuracy potential until they have been shot a lot. The more you shoot it the better/more accurate it will probably become.

I use my air rifle for dispatching rabbits and squirrels around the house where I don't want the ricochet potential of a 22 rifle. They are a good shoice in a survival arsenal. I have seen pellets with a steel BB inserted in the front. They would probably be deadly on human targets as well with a head shot. (I sincerely hope you never have to face that situation!)

Finally, in my experiance the brand/quality of pellet makes a big difference on accuracy.

15. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

I did not know that, as soon as my rifle gets back, I will try that out. I could try it with just my scope, but I don't know if that matters or not.

Btw, since you know something about scopes and air rifles, the guy at the shop where I bought the rifle and eventually the scope also sold me a seperate mount (the scope came with two ring mounts) since he thought it would protect the scope better. He called it by a special name (I cannot recall what exactly) but it was pretty expensive. It was 100 euro's (=135USD) and it looks like one big piece of machined steel (or aluminum) with the two rings attached to one big plate, which is then mounted on the picatinny rail. I don't know if that was necessary or not... He thought so, telling me my scope might break, or it would get loose too easily.

Anyway, it would be nice if you could give some info on that, since I really am new to all this.

thanks,

Vertigo

16. mosquitomountainman

I'm not sure what's going on regarding the scope mount. If you have more information on it that would help.

17. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

After some looking on the web, I remembered what he called the mount: "a Dampa-mount". Then I looked for one that resembled mine the most (amounts of screws and overall looks) and this is it I think:

TheobenLtd::Shooting...

I'm pretty sure it is exactly the one featured in the link.

Hope this helps,

Vertigo

18. mosquitomountainman

I don't know if the mount was essential but it sure isn't going to hurt anything. Can you buy or make a pellet trap for indoor shooting? I use a box full of old magazines for a backstop when shooting indoors with mine. A friend uses commercial pellet traps for the homeschool youth matches.

Shoot the gun a lot. Most of them aren't considered "broken in" until they've been shot at least two-thousand times.

19. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Yeah, a good friend of our family (a real handy-man) is making one for me. It will feature 3 or 4 small plates that can swivel around when you hit them, and an opening to slide in some proper target cards. All from metal, with the backstop at a downward angle. I'll get some pics up of it once it is ready.

Are you serious about that 2 thousand times? I thought about a hundred would have been okay... I'm shooting with JSB's for general plinking and target practice and I also have a box of H&N's for eventual pest control.

thanks for your help!

V.

20. mosquitomountainman

Yes. In fact, some put the number closer to 3,000. Sounds like a great excuse to shoot it a lot!