Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up our farm tractor over the weekend. This is a 1955 Ford Workmaster 640. For being a 61 year old tractor, it only has 2200 hours on it. The roughest part was getting it from Alabama to Tennessee...

Attachments

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
sweet, several steps above the 8N, you should find it a handy tractor,

·
Winston Smith Sent Me
4,996 Posts
That's awesome. Take it on a maiden (to you) voyage while playing the "she thinks my tractors sexy" country song.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
A couple of tips, if this is your first old tractor.
the seller probably told you this, but you need to turn the fuel off every time the tractor is shut off for any length of time, the fuel system is gravity feed, and a tiny leak at the carb can cause the gas in the tank to eventually fill the crankcase, diluting the oil and raising havoc.
The other is if the tractor lives outside it is possible for water to find it's way into the oil bath air filter, if left for long enough it will find it's way into the carb.

As they left the factory most MS carbs had an automatic liquid drain valve built in, they often failed and the hole was plugged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of tips, if this is your first old tractor.
the seller probably told you this, but you need to turn the fuel off every time the tractor is shut off for any length of time, the fuel system is gravity feed, and a tiny leak at the carb can cause the gas in the tank to eventually fill the crankcase, diluting the oil and raising havoc.
The other is if the tractor lives outside it is possible for water to find it's way into the oil bath air filter, if left for long enough it will find it's way into the carb.

As they left the factory most MS carbs had an automatic liquid drain valve built in, they often failed and the hole was plugged.
Thanks for the advice. At my age, I know I don't know it all, and will graciously accept hard-won knowledge.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I don't mean to be a critic, but the way the tie downs are on that tractor won't pass most DOT inspections, they don't like to see tie downs touching the tires, and there should be 4 separate points of connection, ideally diagonally opposed ( think of a square shape with each corner having it's anchor point pulling away from it's opposite corner. ) and the attachment would need at least one anchor, preferably 2.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
I don't mean to be a critic, but the way the tie downs are on that tractor won't pass most DOT inspections, .....
LOL, Yep!

In Texas the DPS (Hwy Patrol) will also pull you over. If they really want to mess with you a lot (rare) they can issue a misdemeanor citation for improperly loaded trailer.

Also, it's loaded WAY too far forward (for future reference and others reading this post in the future). Your trailer tongue is only inches from the ground. You can VERY VERY easily exceed the max tongue weight of your hitch. Many rear bumpers will say "3500 lbs max tow, 350 lbs max TW" (tongue weight).

Even a Class III or IV receiver hitch might say: "5,000 lbs max tow, 500 lbs max tongue weight". I GUARANTEE the max tongue weight is being exceeded in that picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts