new to forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by purnhart, Jan 16, 2011.

1. purnhart

purnhart New Member

Hello, my name is Susan. I live near Dallas. Anyone close to Dallas? I am concerned about the economy, possible food shortages, etc. I am not rich; in fact I am poor so don't know what I can do to prepare for what I fear is coming. I don't have money to buy a lot of food, etc. I am 51 and overweight, so don't know if I am physically capable of surviving a meltdown of society. The only good thing is I work for a major Dallas hospital, so if a plague comes, I'm covered. Hospital employees get treatment first. lol.

The old adage of united we stand, divided we fall is so true. If this country doesn't keep it together, this country WILL fall. So I don't care what your political views are; if you want to survive, we need to stick together.

2. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Welcome Susan
    As far as being prepared and poor just take it slowly and steady.
    You sound like you're in the same boat as most of the folks on here.
    I also work in a hospital but I'm not real sure that will be a good thing when TSHTF.
    I can't get everything we need at once but over time we will get most of what we need.
    I guess that's why we're preppers, as in preparing and not preps, as in fully prepared.
    Not close to Dallas but on here we all seem to be neighbors.

3. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Howdy! :flower:

4. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    I'm nowhere near Dallas but I have a cousin that works in a hospital there. As for preparing, remember the tortise and the hare? A can of soup here a bag of rice there, you'll be surprised how quickly it adds up.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:purnhart from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

7. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

hello!
    welcome to the forums. This site is a GREAT place to start.

I too work in the hospitals. America has a false sense of security with the medical field. You are taught that you will never lose your job if you are working in this field. However, our hospitals are letting go of people left and right. I lost my job a year ago. I am a pharmacy technician, phlebotomist as well as a nursing assistant. I thought I would never be let go. I don't want to move across the country to find work. I am going back to school and am thinking about getting into histology but right now I am getting into laboratory work (cytotechnology).

Until then I am living off my stockpile and doing just fine.
    Shows you how important it is to be PREPARED!

And again, welcome to the site!

8. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Welcome! You will find a TON of good info here.

We are about the same age. I was just diagnosed as being pre-hypertensive but don't want to take meds so am making some changes so I don't have to (i.e., eating right, exercising, etc.). It hasn't been that hard so far. Just one step at a time and before you know it 10 pounds are gone (in less than a month for me). If I can do it anybody can!

As far as prepping, I can tell you that I got started by clipping coupons. That and when I bought things I knew I would need more of I would buy 2. If it was on sale I would buy 3. Pretty soon I had enough stuff put back that I could afford to wait for things to go on sale before I bought them. Now I mostly buy sale/clearanced items because I have enough put back that I can wait to catch things at a good price.

The other thing I did ... NO MORE JUNK OR PRE-PACKAGED FOODS ... I buy fresh/frozen/canned/dried components and cook my own whatever I want to have. For example if I want lasagna I make lasagna at home. If I want potato chips, I slice a potato and drop the slices in the FryDaddy. With a little sea salt, you have the best kettle chips you will ever eat!

This accomplishes two things ... I save a TON of money and I don't sit around mindlessly eating bag after bag of kettle chips anymore. :eek:

You can do this ... just take it one little baby step at a time!