New Summer Camp

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by OldCootHillbilly, May 15, 2011.

1. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Kinda been scoutin out a new spot fer summer camp. Got a couple places in mind, both have a creek runnin through em so water be available. Now just gotta decide which one I"m gonna pick fer this year.

When I do I'll start by clearin a spot outa the woods an get a fire pit in, then after that be various shelters ta build. Be a spot where I go ta do some bushcraft an just relax a bit. Sometimes the peace an quite a the woods does a spirit good.

I'll post up a few pics when we get started.

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

What a cool and interesting thing to do! I can't wait to see picture and hear about the things you do there this year!

3. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

We've been thinking about doing this for years on our place...it might be good bug out playing for the boys.

I too can't wait to see some pics and hear about it!

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Rev. Coot: That's a super idea. I may do something like that with my boy when he gets a year or 2 older. We do all kinds of outdoor stuff with him now but he's only 2 and might not like sleeping outside yet. 'Course, the younger you start them, I guess the more natural it will be for them...

5. Kai22

Kai22 Well-Known Member

Years ago we had a friend who lived all summer long in the woods to avoid paying rent. He'd scope out a spot, make a fire pit and build a rustic shelter. He'd come in to town to work, go back out to his camp and catch and cook his fish dinner.. Back then I thought he was crazy. Now I see just how smart he was :) The guy could live off tree bark ... LOL

6. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Jason: Be great fer kids cause ya build on it all summer long. A classroom a nature. Lots a things ta teach em an they never get bored. Two be a bit young, but I know folk what go campin with youngins not that old. My first trip ta Canada was made when I be but 3 months old!

Even ifin yall didn't spend the night, be a great way ta spend a day!

Kai22: Grandpa's brother used ta live in the woods in a shack what he built outa brush an woods layin round, I ain't sure he ever lived in a regular house near as I know. He did odd jobs an lived offin the land. Had a garden, hunted an fished. Grew his own tabbaco an made his own liquor! I beleive he was more likely a very happy man!

DJgang: Would be excellent experience fer them boys! Mine grew up round the creek an things what they learned there have served em well round the world even yet taday! I always say, a day in the woods beats a day sittin front a the boob tube!

I gotta talk with one feller bout the one spot, never used ta have ta have permisson ta go no where down there, but ownership has changed over the years an not everbody be understandin. Hopin he goes long with it. I'll keep yall posted.

7. Jason

My wife keeps a camping journal. Pretty much all of our camping is done in a camper trailer but we hike and hunt and all that. My boy will be 3 at the end of July and he already has over 70 documented days of camping under his belt.

8. TimB

TimB Member

Amen, Rev. :2thumb: I'm kinda jealous though. I wish I lived close enough to the woods to do something similar. :eek:

Tim

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

:2thumb: :2thumb: :2thumb:
    That's awesome!

10. Jason

I don't have any camping pics of him on my new laptop yet, but this is him:

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
  11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oh, Jason, he is a handsome little dude! And he looks like he's full of fun and adventure! I love that costume!

Best of all, your love for your son oozes out of your posts, and that's the most awesome thing!

:)

12. Jason

Thanks. My sister in law found the costume at a thrift shop about a month ago for around $2.00. Worth that for the fun even though he'll be well grown out of it by Halloween.