Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new show on about preppers tonight at 10pm on national geographic.
not the series but an one hour show. I'm planning on watching so will probably come back later to find out how I/we liked it.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
ok saw the show. I thought it pretty ok. here is a very brief overview.
They focused on several families in parts of the US... Phoenix, North Carolina, Utah and we were shown their extensive preps for when things go bad from nukes, grid failure, economy etc.
Then the shows survival experts would give them advice on better preps and would rate their current prep level.
Learned some good things but wonder if the families are now too exposed.
anyway, ok.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is embarrassing! I posted to watch it and then forgot it and watched something else-but it is replaying here in a few minutes so will just watch it then. I too would not want to be broadcasted as a prepper -not that I am embarrassed about it but for the moochers and possible thieves.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I thought it was a very interesting show-- it was only one of the show that I've seen lately that didn't portray us preppers as nut-balls and goofballs. or downright crazy.
I am so jealous of the last fella and his bunker that I am green! see---:D
So I gotta ask--is dat u bunker bob? Knowing that the answer is no...:D I would love to have some of these folks come on here and chat with us..
While I would love to stockpile much more than what I have- my learning urge--aka my frantic urge to learn how to do things the Old Fashioned way- like what is involved in making cheese,from how to make rennet to how to store cheese to last. to dehydrating foods to last without any electricity. Sure I love my freezer but in case of TEOTWAWKI I do know how to grow it and preserve it... I am hoping that all my little known skills that I know and have done, will keep me from being "expendable".
The one thing I didn't like was the family that stored everything in plastic.. sure in the short term it will stay clean but I have had rodents(little house mice) chew thru rubber maid tubs) chew thru plastic I would never, and I mean never store food in plastic.. I have switched to the gallon glass jars that my BIL gets me from his business(he is in charge of a huge camp kitchen)I store my good stuff in those.. (but I do store my sugar and flour in big heavy duty plastic buckets, but I have them where I can see {and hear }them all the time.)

So gotta find some land and make hidden preps!:eek:

·
Grunt
101 Posts
Great thread and follow-up post Emerald.

I did not see the show, but I'm anxious next time it comes around. Not sure I would want the exposure either.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
I have- my learning urge--aka my frantic urge to learn how to do things the Old Fashioned way- ... :2thumb:

Skills will be very important and go a long way. :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
did not see the show but would wonder if they (the show) may have done some "set up" to help hide these people. not to be fake but to keep them safe? still I would not be in a show like thatunless I was covered up and my place not shown. i would like to see the show, soif any one knows the name or the time it will be back on post it please.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
I saw the show

I saw the show and it was excellent.

Regarding operational security, I am sure the people in the neighborhood these people live in already know they are peppers and they did not give addresses.

I am also pretty sure the people who allowed them to interview and film them received compensation for their cooperation and likely used the money to enhance or complete their preps.

Not a bad trade off!

;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
The show for you who asked was called " Doomsday Preppers" It a very good show, well worth watching. I don't know if it will be back on again, but no, I don't think the people were comprimised very much, other then their friends and neighbors who may recoginize them. The second family , the mother with the two kids is on one of my other sites. Very nice lady. She said they are getting ready to move out of the Phoenix area very soon any way. Smart girl.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I THINK I saw this some time ago. Here are some links to some video

Doomsday Preppers | National Geographic Channel

This one is probably better... on YouTube and done in parts, you will have to find the other parts:

I may have to take another look when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to say that in my learning urges I have seen the one couple with the small children online before. I wanted to know more about aquaculture/aquaponics and their videos are pretty good. I love how they took a big in ground pool and made it more useful than costly.
Sorry I forgot to put the name up and thank you Nadja for putting it for everyone.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
The show for you who asked was called " Doomsday Preppers" It a very good show, well worth watching. I don't know if it will be back on again, but no, I don't think the people were comprimised very much, other then their friends and neighbors who may recoginize them. The second family , the mother with the two kids is on one of my other sites. Very nice lady. She said they are getting ready to move out of the Phoenix area very soon any way. Smart girl.
PM me with some detail of the other site

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
I too saw the show and thought it was well done. I did see a couple "blunders" (e.g. IIRC, they said they're eating only what's in their garden but saw them adding a container of yogurt into the mix) but they were minor.

I am also pretty sure the people who allowed them to interview and film them received compensation for their cooperation and likely used the money to enhance or complete their preps.
Not sure about that one. I've been broached by these types of documentary folks in the past and don't ever recall them mentioning compensation. OTOH, if you have a cool BOL or something a movie studio may like, they compensate nicely.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I saw the youtube film some time back on an aquaponics forum I belong to.
I thought the people were doing a very good job. Only thing I saw that was completely wrong is, they expect to be able to have electricity from solar panels when the grid is destroyed. Do they have some protection for their system that the complete grid does not have. Just my opinion but if something can wipe out the entire grid their small solar panel system will be gone also.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I saw the youtube film some time back on an aquaponics forum I belong to.
I thought the people were doing a very good job. Only thing I saw that was completely wrong is, they expect to be able to have electricity from solar panels when the grid is destroyed. Do they have some protection for their system that the complete grid does not have. Just my opinion but if something can wipe out the entire grid their small solar panel system will be gone also.
Unless we are talking about an EMP causing the SHTF moment then I think the main problem will be lack of maintenance on the grid because of cost and ability for most people to pay for it. Look at these third world countries -- often the rich have power. However if you have your own power source and battery you would be fine.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts