New Rancher / Farmer here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Von Helman, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Von Helman

Von Helman A very simple man

Hello,

My Name is Von Helman and I live a very basic rural life on a 25,000 acre ranch. We (The family) have cattle, sheep, ducks, chickens, dairy cows, pigs and horses. We mike the cows and make cheese fresh daily and live a very simple life.

I am here to learn, share and teach others and hope I am able to participate and become a valued member of this community.

[​IMG]

Thanks

Von

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2009
  2. Von Helman

For clarification I think I worded the title of this introduction thread wrong; I am not a new rancher or farmer but rather new to this forum.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I kind of figured as much .. welcome to the board - read-up and ask away! :beercheer:

4. Von Helman

Thanks for the warm welcome

I do have a question, when I post without inserting picture the post goes immediately through, however if I post with a picture the thread has to wait until a mod approval, is this always how it is done or only on new members to prevent spamming?

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Certain words used, links, pictures and a few other keys will trigger the anti-spam system and put the messages into a que which has a special-icon for administrators and moderators to check and approve or destroy as necessary. It is a manual process till a person has posted the required number of posts and has completed the trial-period.

Keep visiting, keep posting and after a while you will notice that there is no "edited by" message at the bottom of your messages ...

Take a peak at my anti-spam message in the comments / suggestions section for an idea of what you are missing ...

6. Von Helman

Yes I understand and I think it’s a good thing to prevent spamming

Another question, when was this forum launched (how long has it been up and running?)

I am not sure if it’s just my connection in regards to speed but the forum seems very slow loading the pages opposed to other places I visit on the web, any reason for this?

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, is your ranch in the good ole USA? sail

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Von, there are lots of us who live the rural life on this forum. We have a little over 200 acres in SWPA, about 45 minutes south of Pittsburgh. Looking forward to exchanging info with you on the boards. Welcome!

:beercheer:

9. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

25,000 acres?!? Wow! I can hardly imagine land that big. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and post some cool threads.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

That's for sure, Canadian. Gotta be immense.

11. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Hi Von! The farm(s) I grew up on (my dad's and my uncle's, all contiguous) were about 3000 acres, to 25K is pretty big.

Where are you located at?

Looking forward to reading your input!

12. Von Helman

Thanks everyone,

Yes the ranch is very rural and large. I posted satellite pictures in the other thread and you can see them here

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f35/home-above-1976/index4.html#post16784

In time I will create another thread with lots of pictures so everyone can see. I always get asked where I am located and all I ever say is in the Southwest. I do this for security reasons and I am sure you will all understand this.

Posting the satellite images is as about as far as I will go with my “actual” location but since there isn’t really anything in those images to give it away my exact location I feel safe posting them.

As for other questions just ask and I am happy to answer anything I can.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That's why I did it the way I did. Without Lat. or Long. on the image you really can't tell the actual location. :)

14. Hoggrydr11

Hoggrydr11 Hoggrydr11

welcome and thats a beautiful place

15. Von Helman

Thanks for the nice words

16. ditzyjan56

ditzyjan56 Well-Known Member

I'm green with envy:D :wave: :welcome: Welcome to the forum, just getting started and getting my feet wet

17. youpock

youpock Well-Known Member

25k acres! Do you ranch/farm for money or are you retired/having fun?

18. Safari 7

Safari 7 Member

Hello Von!

I live in a what WAS a ranching community, and we still have some cattle operations. I buy and sell some calves every couple of weeks to keep some fresh ones around for our cutting horses, and have a real soft spot for anyone who can make a go of breeding and raising cattle.

Question - do you use ATVs or horses or both for moving cows around?