Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A very simple man
172 Posts
Hello,

My Name is Von Helman and I live a very basic rural life on a 25,000 acre ranch. We (The family) have cattle, sheep, ducks, chickens, dairy cows, pigs and horses. We mike the cows and make cheese fresh daily and live a very simple life.

I am here to learn, share and teach others and hope I am able to participate and become a valued member of this community.

Thanks

Von

·
A very simple man
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For clarification I think I worded the title of this introduction thread wrong; I am not a new rancher or farmer but rather new to this forum.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
For clarification I think I worded the title of this introduction thread wrong; I am not a new rancher or farmer but rather new to this forum.
I kind of figured as much .. welcome to the board - read-up and ask away! :beercheer:

·
A very simple man
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome

I do have a question, when I post without inserting picture the post goes immediately through, however if I post with a picture the thread has to wait until a mod approval, is this always how it is done or only on new members to prevent spamming?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome

I do have a question, when I post without inserting picture the post goes immediately through, however if I post with a picture the thread has to wait until a mod approval, is this always how it is done or only on new members to prevent spamming?
Certain words used, links, pictures and a few other keys will trigger the anti-spam system and put the messages into a que which has a special-icon for administrators and moderators to check and approve or destroy as necessary. It is a manual process till a person has posted the required number of posts and has completed the trial-period.

Keep visiting, keep posting and after a while you will notice that there is no "edited by" message at the bottom of your messages ...

Take a peak at my anti-spam message in the comments / suggestions section for an idea of what you are missing ...

·
A very simple man
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I understand and I think it’s a good thing to prevent spamming

Another question, when was this forum launched (how long has it been up and running?)

I am not sure if it’s just my connection in regards to speed but the forum seems very slow loading the pages opposed to other places I visit on the web, any reason for this?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Welcome aboard, is your ranch in the good ole USA? sail

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Von, there are lots of us who live the rural life on this forum. We have a little over 200 acres in SWPA, about 45 minutes south of Pittsburgh. Looking forward to exchanging info with you on the boards. Welcome!

:beercheer:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
25,000 acres?!? Wow! I can hardly imagine land that big. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and post some cool threads.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
That's for sure, Canadian. Gotta be immense.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Von! The farm(s) I grew up on (my dad's and my uncle's, all contiguous) were about 3000 acres, to 25K is pretty big.

Where are you located at?

Looking forward to reading your input!

·
A very simple man
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone,

Yes the ranch is very rural and large. I posted satellite pictures in the other thread and you can see them here

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f35/home-above-1976/index4.html#post16784

In time I will create another thread with lots of pictures so everyone can see. I always get asked where I am located and all I ever say is in the Southwest. I do this for security reasons and I am sure you will all understand this.

Posting the satellite images is as about as far as I will go with my "actual" location but since there isn't really anything in those images to give it away my exact location I feel safe posting them.

As for other questions just ask and I am happy to answer anything I can.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Posting the satellite images is as about as far as I will go with my "actual" location but since there isn't really anything in those images to give it away my exact location I feel safe posting them.
That's why I did it the way I did. Without Lat. or Long. on the image you really can't tell the actual location. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm green with envy:D :wave: :welcome: Welcome to the forum, just getting started and getting my feet wet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Von!

I live in a what WAS a ranching community, and we still have some cattle operations. I buy and sell some calves every couple of weeks to keep some fresh ones around for our cutting horses, and have a real soft spot for anyone who can make a go of breeding and raising cattle.

Question - do you use ATVs or horses or both for moving cows around?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts