Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Yaesu FT 857d today and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've had my general for quite a while and finally saved enough to buy an HF rig. If anyone has any tips for the radio or has had experience with it I would love to hear about it.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I don't know anything about the radio, but congratulations on getting one now! We have a base unit in the house and my husband and I each have portables.

Lots of hams on here, be patient, they'll throw in their two cents pretty quick!

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Don't ask me... my radio still has tubes. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got the radio today and played around with it some. I didn't make any HF contacts yet but played with it on UHF/VHF and called cq on 20m a couple times with no answer. But I have the rest of the week to play with it every chance I get and experiment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it must work because yesterday I worked IW6DRH in Italy mobile to mobile. I'm impressed so far with it. More to come later as I get more time to play with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
When I was a teenager I always wanted to build a Heath Kit Radio, are they still around?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts

·
Tannerite goes boom!
15 Posts
I bought a new Yaesu FT 857d today and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've had my general for quite a while and finally saved enough to buy an HF rig. If anyone has any tips for the radio or has had experience with it I would love to hear about it.
The FT-857D is a really nice rig......... One recommendation... Have a Auto Tuner like the LDG series of tuners. The FT-857 has some very impressive features and is a great little contesting radio.....

·
Tannerite goes boom!
15 Posts
But the question remains... What happens when the tubes stop reproducing and you can't get a twin to replace it????

·
Banned
5 Posts
My first post here.

The FT-857 is a pretty good radio. I've had one for about 5 years now. Currently I have it installed in my PU truck with a Comet dual band (2 meter, and 70cm) antenna and a Little Tarheel II for HF. I have the remote mic with mine which makes it easy to control the radio while I'm mobile. It definitely helps me pass the time on my hour commute to/from work!!

The only thing I don't like is the teeny little display. It's very hard to read in the vehicle with my "aging" eyesight!!

·
Banned
5 Posts
I like those radios. The smell of a tube type radio warming up is something every ham should experience. I have a friend who refuses to use any radio that doesn't have tubes.
Oh if I could afford a tube radio. Got my tech. Now working on my General. I have a goal of getting my General and Extra in the next 6-months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts