New Radio

Discussion in 'Communications' started by tyler_kd0bsa, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

I bought a new Yaesu FT 857d today and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I've had my general for quite a while and finally saved enough to buy an HF rig. If anyone has any tips for the radio or has had experience with it I would love to hear about it.

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I don't know anything about the radio, but congratulations on getting one now! We have a base unit in the house and my husband and I each have portables.

Lots of hams on here, be patient, they'll throw in their two cents pretty quick!

3. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Don't ask me... my radio still has tubes. :D

4. tyler_kd0bsa

I like those radios. The smell of a tube type radio warming up is something every ham should experience. I have a friend who refuses to use any radio that doesn't have tubes.

5. tyler_kd0bsa

Well I got the radio today and played around with it some. I didn't make any HF contacts yet but played with it on UHF/VHF and called cq on 20m a couple times with no answer. But I have the rest of the week to play with it every chance I get and experiment.

6. tyler_kd0bsa

Well it must work because yesterday I worked IW6DRH in Italy mobile to mobile. I'm impressed so far with it. More to come later as I get more time to play with it.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager I always wanted to build a Heath Kit Radio, are they still around?

8. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

9. horology

horology Active Member

Any Freebanders here?

Any freebanders here?

If anyone want to have a meet up?

Thanks
    Dan

Visit placeofrefuge2012.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  10. 91004

91004 Tannerite goes boom!

The FT-857D is a really nice rig......... One recommendation... Have a Auto Tuner like the LDG series of tuners. The FT-857 has some very impressive features and is a great little contesting radio.....

11. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys Active Member

Real radios glow in the dark!
    All of my HF stuff is Drake tube type.

12. 91004

91004 Tannerite goes boom!

But the question remains... What happens when the tubes stop reproducing and you can't get a twin to replace it????

13. Proud_Poppa

Proud_Poppa ExCommunicated

My first post here.

The FT-857 is a pretty good radio. I've had one for about 5 years now. Currently I have it installed in my PU truck with a Comet dual band (2 meter, and 70cm) antenna and a Little Tarheel II for HF. I have the remote mic with mine which makes it easy to control the radio while I'm mobile. It definitely helps me pass the time on my hour commute to/from work!!

The only thing I don't like is the teeny little display. It's very hard to read in the vehicle with my "aging" eyesight!!

14. gatecrashser59

gatecrashser59 ExCommunicated

Oh if I could afford a tube radio. Got my tech. Now working on my General. I have a goal of getting my General and Extra in the next 6-months.