Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go. It's ON! I've seen several members mention "what if they make growing vegetables illegal?" WELL, GUESS WHAT? IT HAPPENED.

Hostility towards individuals who grow food in their suburban or semi-rural backyards appears to be on the rise, this time in the New Jersey township of Chatham. Officials there have twice cited Mike Bucuk, a 24-year-old organic farmer, for the crime of growing vegetables in his backyard and giving the surplus away to his neighbors for free. The town has even ordered Mike to stop attending to his three-acre plot of crops, thanks to a concerted legal effort spawned by a disgruntled neighbor.

It all apparently started when the Bucuk's neighbor Richard Erich Hamlin lodged a complaint with the town, alleging that Mike was operating a commercial farm in his backyard in violation of local zoning ordinances. Even though Mike's "commercial farm" is really nothing more than a backyard organic garden with a small, moveable greenhouse, the town ultimately ordered that Mike stop cultivating his crops until the issue is resolved one way or the other.

"We're not building a farm so large it needs a crop duster," joked Tom Bucuk, Mike's father, to the Daily Record concerning the ordeal. After all, Mike's goal has always been to simply use his land to grow fresh, organic produce that he would then sell at the local Chatham Farmers Market. And as a sign of good intent, the Bucuk family has even opened up their garden to neighbors, allowing them to pick fresh produce for free.

Naturally, many of the Bucuk family's other neighbors are outraged over the fact that Hamlin and the town are treating the Bucuks as criminals, having noted in various discussion forums that the Bucuks garden looks great, and is not a nuisance to the neighborhood (http://chatham.patch.com/articles/f...). And because it is an organic garden, it does not involve the use of harsh chemicals or other harmful polluters as has been suggested by those targeting the Bucuks.

Ironically, Green Village, the unincorporated area of Chatham where the Bucuk garden is located, was historically a farming area. Much of the land there continues to be eaten up by residential and commercial development, but its rich farming history cannot be ignored in light of the current battle, especially as it concerns the very low-impact nature of the Bucuk garden.

"I feel like this guy [Templin is] harassing us. The police have been at our house numerous times ... I feel like every time I turn around, this guy's calling somebody on us," said Debra Bucuk, Mike's mother, to Chatham Patch. "We're going to make hardly any money on this. We're trying to do this to be able to be part of the Chatham Farmer's Market, to bring our organic vegetables there ... and something that we think is awesome for the town. And all we're doing is being harassed."

The Bucuks are currently working to pass a local "Right to Farm Act" that would allow backyard farmers to grow produce without the threat of zoning laws being used against them.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
All it takes be one butt head whinin ta a bunch a idiots an ya got yerself a problem. Deal with it round here all the time. Gettin real tired a it to.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
The town has even ordered Mike to stop attending to his three-acre plot of crops, thanks to a concerted legal effort spawned by a disgruntled neighbor.

It all apparently started when the Bucuk's neighbor Richard Erich Hamlin lodged a complaint with the town, alleging that Mike was operating a commercial farm in his backyard in violation of local zoning ordinances. Even though Mike's "commercial farm" is really nothing more than a backyard organic garden with a small, moveable greenhouse
Three acres of crops is not exactly what most folks would call a "backyard garden". He's growing crops to sell, a commercial use of the land. When the land was purchased, it was with the knowledge that the zoning ordinances forbid commercial use of residential property. If he didn't like the ordinance, which is an extremely common one, he shouldn't have bought the property. I don't like all those rules as to what I can & can't do with my property either, but that's exactly why I live out in the country where those rules don't exist. JMHO

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Three acres of crops is not exactly what most folks would call a "backyard garden". He's growing crops to sell, a commercial use of the land. When the land was purchased, it was with the knowledge that the zoning ordinances forbid commercial use of residential property. If he didn't like the ordinance, which is an extremely common one, he shouldn't have bought the property. I don't like all those rules as to what I can & can't do with my property either, but that's exactly why I live out in the country where those rules don't exist. JMHO
I somewhat agree.if you don't like the restrictions,don't buy the property.

We live rural,but we have had nieghbors who lived like they were in the worst of third world.Throwing animal carcases out on dirt roads,having 15 kinds of poultry in a small area and letting their dogs run the n-hood.

If you want respect and privacy,you need to give respect.Many people are now sellign produce and livestock under the table.

People think because its from a farmer its better and most of the time they are right.Some claim to be giving food away,when they are actually selling it under the table.

Some organic farmers use their own feces manure for fertilizer,others use animal manure that has'nt been properly composted.I hear nothing wrong if done correctly,but who knows if it is.If not it can kill you.

On the other hand too many communities now are under too many laws against land ownership and property rights.

Zoning laws can be a good thing if done right.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He gives his neighbors FREE VEGETABLES. He just wants to sell some vegetables at a local farmer market. I don't know about theirs but over here backyard urban growers get to sell theirs with no problems. Different ordinance I assume. It's f**king vegetables! It's not manufacturing methamphetamine! He is not a criminal! I'd firebomb all my neighbors houses who complained. LOL. So sick of the world.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Farmers are'nt what they use to be,some farmers think their shit don't stink and use it to grow their food.

I think it may have been all the mother nature and flower people who started this feces gardening thing.Lots of liberals in my class when I took horticulture.They liked their beans raw,expect 5 BMs a day or they panic.Eat enough hemp to feed a village.Otherwise nice folks.

Just know your source.

Then you have organic garders like me and most others who just want real food and want it fresh.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
Farmers are'nt what they use to be,some farmers think their shit don't stink and use it to grow their food.

I think it may have been all the mother nature and flower people who started this feces gardening thing.Lots of liberals in my class when I took horticulture.They liked their beans raw,expect 5 BMs a day or they panic.Eat enough hemp to feed a village.Otherwise nice folks.

Just know your source.

Then you have organic garders like me and most others who just want real food and want it fresh.
oh I so know what you are talking about! lol I live in the MN river valley area and you would think we are living in california the way the green movement, liberals and all that go on and on. lol
In fact there was a article and map posted on Drudge i think about states that were the most restrictive. Mn is one of the top most restricted. I am not surprised as it is common for folks here to say we live in the state where Nutin' is allowed. :gaah:

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
3 acres a garden an sellin at the farmers market ain't exactly a commercial farmer. Be lots a 3 acre gardens round here.

Plain an simple, the nieghbors a a** an so be the city.

Somebody don't like somethin complain an then the idiots come outa the wood work pushin there power round. Got no use fer city government. To many people what think there god.

·
Registered
300 Posts
He gives his neighbors FREE VEGETABLES. He just wants to sell some vegetables at a local farmer market. I don't know about theirs but over here backyard urban growers get to sell theirs with no problems. Different ordinance I assume. It's f**king vegetables! It's not manufacturing methamphetamine! He is not a criminal! I'd firebomb all my neighbors houses who complained. LOL. So sick of the world.
Sometimes I feel like we need a "like" post button. :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
I just don't get it here. What am I really missing.

A 3 acre plot and a family trying to make it through these difficult times.

Sure, anyone can make an argument that zoning laws are zoning laws and need to be adhered to, but give me a break here. This does not seem to be a commercial type of establishment.

We are what most folks would consider to be "Subsistence" farmers. We grow what we need to sustain us for the following year. When we have "excess" produce or eggs, we give most of them away. We use some of our excess for trading and bartering. We alsdo give produce to the local food bank. Do we sell some of it under the table? ABSOLUTELY. We typically only sell to those who are pretty well off and have nothing to offer us in return.

I'm not even sure how people could turn this into a political discussion about liberal or conservative values. Any real conservative would agree that we do not want government interferring in our daily lives. This appears to be a classic example of local government interfering in the life of someone trying to provide for their needs.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
The more I research about this story, the more I get p!ssed that one disgrunted neighbor can make life so difficult for someone.

Check this article out and be sure to read the comments:

Farming Ordinance Could Antagonize Green Villagers - Chatham, NJ Patch

This douchebag, Richard Erich Templin of 480 Green Village Rd, didn't even have the guts to attend the Township committee meeting--He sent his freaking lawyer.

Hey, I think I'll send this guy a friendly letter to let him know what a wonderful example of a model citizen he really is.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the more i research about this story, the more i get p!ssed that one disgrunted neighbor can make life so difficult for someone.

Check this article out and be sure to read the comments:

farming ordinance could antagonize green villagers - chatham, nj patch

this douchebag, richard erich templin of 480 green village rd, didn't even have the guts to attend the township committee meeting--he sent his freaking lawyer.

Hey, i think i'll send this guy a friendly letter to let him know what a wonderful example of a model citizen he really is.
omg you found an address!!! I'm going to have so much fun!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.