Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Amateur
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come from the Glocktalk S&P and PracticalPreps via JeepForum. I just survived an earthquake :dunno: and Hurricane Irene here in the Va Beach area. I learned a few lessons along the way. Getting started was the hardest part. There's a couple more goodies I'd like to buy but as of right now I'm pretty well prepped for bugging in or out for a week to ten days.

Who's the old guy here that knows everything, is the most prepared and says little?

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Welcome from the foothills of Virginia ... :wave:

As for ... Who's the old guy here that knows everything, is the most prepared and says little? ... I guess you will have to stick around and find out on your own. lol :D

:welcome:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
... I guess you will have to stick around and find out on your own. lol :D

:welcome:
TOUCHE *Andi :D

And welcome Kevin108. :wave:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome, please share your knowledge with us. Now that you have your week to 10 days supplies start working on the next 6 months worth of supplies. After Camille & Katrina we were without power, roads and water etc. for months, not just a few days.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Welcome! I used to live in the Commonwealth myself, but over in Roanoke.

Are you ready for Katia? That's the next storm they are talking about for this weekend. Even my wife, who is sort of grudgingly acknowledging that my prepping is a good idea and not just me being paranoid, has pointed out that if nothing else, Irene pointed out the stuff that we need to work on and be better prepared.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I come from the Glocktalk S&P and PracticalPreps via JeepForum. I just survived an earthquake :dunno: and Hurricane Irene here in the Va Beach area. I learned a few lessons along the way. Getting started was the hardest part. There's a couple more goodies I'd like to buy but as of right now I'm pretty well prepped for bugging in or out for a week to ten days.

Who's the old guy here that knows everything, is the most prepared and says little?
Hi, from Ky here---I just emailed my online friend and asked this so I'll ask you if you can be kind enough to answer:
what did you miss getting, what did you need most, what did you not have enough of, what would you tell us to concentrate on .

No essay required and no grades going home to mom...:2thumb:

·
Amateur
28 Posts
Lessons learned:

· Get prepared for storms NOW! Four days before the storm hit, premium supplies were in reduced quantities. Three days before the storm, canned goods were significantly diminished. Two days before the storm, bottled water and storage vessels like Aquatainers were gone from shelves. The day before, gas stations were running out of fuel.

· Pack the BOV before the storm starts. For whatever reason, I foolishly put off deciding what firearms, clothes and other accoutrements I wanted to take in my pack should we be forced to leave. I spent the day fully dressed with my G26 on my belt and shoes at the ready but I didn't immediately load food, fuel, the grill, etc. into the Jeep.

· Be adequately rested. For multiple reasons, several nights leading up to the weather event, I'd slept poorly or in limited hours. The day before the storm, I was grouchy. The day after, I was exhausted. Even if it takes some a sleep aid, if at all possible, consider adequate rest before the potential emergency to be one of your preps.

· If you have a yard, plan your routes out of it. I have a left and right driveway and a tree could have fallen across either, preventing departure from that side of the house. A true emergency is not the time to discover that the only route out of your yard is taking a Sawzall to the neighbor's chain link fence.

· If possible, include your significant other in your planning and prepping. It's been a struggle to convince Shannon to keep anything in stock. Helping make the grocery lists has made a difference but if I told her I wanted to keep a week of canned food on hand, she'd tell me that was ridiculous. As such, I took it upon myself to make sure we'd have food and water if we didn't have anything else because I'm the man and protecting us is my job. The situation would be greatly improved if I could convince her that these are things we need to keep on hand and while I hope we never need them, not having them would be foolish. The stuff I bought keeps for 2-3 years or longer so a one-time outlay of $20 per person or so will guarantee a week of food and water for a number of possible emergencies.

One thing I hadn't taken into consideration is how much some other people count on me when stuff like this goes on. It all worked out fine but work, my parents and a friend all called on me for some last minute stuff.

I was hanging out in the pantry to use the phone to talk to my mom just before the storm and found a baby crock pot we got from somewhere. I happened to look underneath it and I can run it with my cheap little power inverter. I wouldn't want to make Thanksgiving dinner with it but it would be awesome for heating up a can of Chef Boyardee without getting out of the BOV.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks Kevin...I'm on the New Madrid faultline---I bet in our situation, we won't get a warning--you guys are so lucky.:2thumb:

My 9 neighbors don't know me or associate with me---I may be their lifeline for food if we get stuck here for whatever reason---I can feed this street for a long time...would I???

TEOTWAWKI situation---Nope...but a situation like EQ or hurricane for a short while??? Yep....but, with OPSEC compromised...., then I'd have to kill 'em!!:rolleyes:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

It's great to get first-hand stories and information from people like yourself, who've been in the earthquake and hurricane zone. Thanks.

:)

·
Amateur
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

It's great to get first-hand stories and information from people like yourself, who've been in the earthquake and hurricane zone. Thanks.

:)
Hurricane Irene was scarier than Isabel in 03 because I was wasted for Isabel and stumbling around outside watching trees fall. Now I'm a home owner myself and was concerned about damage and deductibles and, well, a sober experience is...sobering. The earthquake...I didn't feel a thing. If the building I was in had been empty, I wouldn't have known anything until that night or the next day but as it happened I was building a wall in a magistrate's office and a bunch of cops rushed in freaking out. I told them they were more sensitive to vibrations than I because of their flat feet. They didn't seem to get the joke. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts