New guy from NC. No idea how to begin

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CheerfulSamurai, Jan 9, 2011.

1. CheerfulSamurai

CheerfulSamurai New Member

Hello All,
    I trust this message finds you in peace and all is well.

I am completely unprepared and inept in my ability to survive any foreseeable TEOTWAWKI experience, be it economic collapse, natural disaster, etc.

I don't stock pile food. I've no guns. I've very, very limited practical skills (such as carpentry, hunting/fishing, etc.).

I am what most would consider liberal libertarian in a sense I am anti-war, anti government handout, leave peoples beliefs alone (if you wanna worship snails I don't care. Just don't impose it on me)

Having said all this I know our basic society would begin to crumble with about a 2 weeks of power outages, and I want my family to be OK is SHTF.

I have served in USAF as a firefighter for 5 years, during Desert Storm. I remember the comfortable feeling of knowing my deployment bag had whatever I would need for 4 weeks. Grab and get deployed.

I want to be prepared.

Looking forward to learning from you.

T.

2. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

WELCOME, :welcome:CheerfulSamuari from a long time preparer. Read, research and listen. Look forward to your replies and posts.

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome!:wave:

You could start by getting ready for the next winter storm to hit the south ... Snow, ice :gaah: and freezing rain :eek:

Ice and freezing rain never a good mix in the south. Stay safe.

5. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard ... :wave:

6. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Welcome aboard! You'll find this is a really friendly and helpful group. One thing that has helped me manage the stress of trying to play 'catch-up' and get really prepared is a daily planner. In it, I record my preps each day, plan out preps for the next payday, or season (in the case of gardening), progress toward inventory goals, lists of good ideas, to-do items, websites to remember, etc. You're about to learn a *lot* of stuff and it is a relief to not have to try to keep it all in your brain at once.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Hey, not being in denial is the best start evah!!!:congrat:

8. LegitCitizen

LegitCitizen Active Member

Welcome!

However little you think you know, or how little you've done to prepare, you are MILES ahead of the guy who thinks that nothing can happen to him.

9. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Cheerfulsamurai: you've already started and you don't even realize it.

You're here, aren't you?

10. exiledsaint

exiledsaint ceritfied beer taster

another NC welcome

CS,

Well if u were in the military you have some training already if TSHTF, even just a lil bit. Glad to see ur here, I am new to the site as well, but Ive been on the survival end of the game for a while out here in Raleigh.
    Look forward to hearing from you, and welcome brother.

11. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Welcome!

BizzyB has a great suggestion - keeping a record. You definitely aren't alone in feeling like you're playing 'catch-up.' Prepping is so multi-faceted and there's a lot of information out there - sometimes it makes my head hurt. But all any of us can do is take it one day at a time. If you do a little something each day (gather a supply, learn a new skill, organize), then you will be way ahead of the game in a very short while! :)

And just being here, you're already ahead of the sheeple. ;)

12. jo2land

jo2land New Member

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a chance to get on the computer a lot, so my posts will be limited. I want to thank you and the others
    for the information. I will try to find more time to be available for all the
    great information that gets passed along.
    JO

13. jo2land

jo2land New Member

Newbie trying to figure out how to say thanks

I am not good with blogs, threads etc.

Thank you for your information and welcomes. I do not always have the time to post, but I will be checking in and doing some research.
    I am concerned that as you say..so many are in denial.

My goal is to have some preparations, given my limited space, and to connect to those who have not " lost their minds":rolleyes: ;).

I appreciate all the warm welcomes, thank you. As I figure out how to do
    threads, hee hee, I will post more. Take care and God bless.

14. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

:welcome: to the forum, better late than never :congrat: for taking the first in a long line of steps in your journey

and join the club for feeling inadequate in prepping, I know I do :eek:

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!