New from the Midwest

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kimba, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Kimba

Kimba Member

I guess it's not much of an intro if I can't include my real name or my location, lol!! But, I've been lurking for a few weeks and reading the archives so I figured I should post an intro and join the conversation.

I have been prepping for almost 20 years, and hubby and I have been prepping together for 8 years. We live on a farm in the Midwest so we are able to grow/hunt/forage for a lot of our food. My initial efforts were more along the lines of "stocking up" and were mainly motivated by finances (buying in bulk to save $$$). Lately, however, the focus has been more on prepping in all areas and more in anticipation of some kind of disruption.

Looking forward to reading more about what others are doing.

Kimba

2. beericus

beericus Well-Known Member

3. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

Howdy! :flower:

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum:wave:

5. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

LOL We'll get to know you just fine as Kimba. ;)

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

6. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Hello & welcome!:wave:

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Share what you know. Ask what you don't. :wave:

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome Kimba. We have about 250 acres of former dairy farm in PA where now we grow hay, grain, corn, and a few critters. What kind of farm do you have?

9. Kimba

Kimba Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Jason, we have 240 acres, of which 130 is tillable. The other 110 acres consist of woods, meadows, creek, and swamp. Thirty of the tillable acres are in hay right now, and the balance in a COB and soybean rotation. We originally planned to grow organic small grains, but we don't have the equipment and it was cost-prohibitive to buy it. Funny thing, our place is also a former dairy farm.

We have been here 6 years and have dabbled around with rabbits, chickens, goats, and a slew of poultry and waterfowl. All good eating but we never made enough money on any of it to make the effort worthwhile. Since I have been sick, leaving hubby to hold down the fort mostly by himself, we have gotten rid of all livestock and most of the poultry, keeping just a small layer flock and a few ducks and geese. We will raise some meat chickens again this year for the freezer, but nothing commercially.

Cheers,

Kimba

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Sounds like a nice place Kimba. Look forward to talking to you as time goes on.

11. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Welcome:welcome:Kimba from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.

12. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

13. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sounds like a nice piece of land you've got there. I'm a bit jealous. Just an in town parcel here. My mom and her husband has nearly two acres, and the most they put in is some tomatoes! Seems like a waste to just mow it all.

14. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome Aboard! Hope you are feeling better soon!:)

15. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

:wave: Glad to see you here. You will enjoy the company! I know I do ...

16. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us.