New from overseas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bua nó Bás, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Bua nó Bás

Bua nó Bás Member

Hi there,

I'm from Ireland and am new to the survival scene, but am actively reading up on different methods, approaches and ideas and hope to find ways to live a more frugal and fulfilling life, as well as being prepared for a major disaster scenario such as flooding or civil unrest.

I found this forum when searching Google, and had a quick look around and was very impressed at the content. Other forums I viewed seemed to be dominated by extremist racial and political views which really wasn't appealing. For the record, I'm a left winger, but practice common sense regarding most issues, most especially the lack of self-sufficiency in modern society.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

:welcome: Always good to get perspective from across the pond. :wave:

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Hello & Welcome.:wave:

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Welcome! Glad to have you. CAn I ask you what your user name means?

5. Bua nó Bás

Bua nó Bás Member

Thanks for the welcome!

My username means "Victory or Death" in Gaeilge, more commonly known as "Gaelic" (Irish). Thought it was a cool slogan which is also a motto for several family crests.

6. Jason

We have a bar here in Pittsburgh, Mullaney's Harp and Fiddle, that I go to from time to time. Irish musicians come play there, Frank Ryan and Celtic Clan from Boston, Mass(Frank and bassist Huey Purcell are from Ireland), Seamus Kennedy...there are some really good ones. They do the old drinking fighting songs and the old ballads and some funny stuff too. It's been a while, but it's one of my favorite places to go.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard,:wave: we wont hold being a left leaner against you.:scratch:ignore: Just ask questions and contribute answers.

8. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Welcome aboard. Sometimes it's us new guys who ask the good questions that make for some informative threads.

9. Bua nó Bás

Bua nó Bás Member

Thanks again for the welcome everyone!

Thanks. The way I look at it is that we all want the best for ourselves, our families and our community but differ on how it should be achieved. As mentioned, I favour common sense in most situations and break from the norm in a few areas, such as my belief that gun ownership should be promoted as its the best method of protection for citizens against both tyranny and crime.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. Jason

I'm sorry to be ignorant of this, but what are Ireland's rules on gun ownership? Are you allowed to posess firearms? Concealed carry?

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to prepared society!

12. Bua nó Bás

Bua nó Bás Member

Nope, we're extremely heavily controlled, of course this has done very little to make the place safe as gun crime is on the rise. Those who want to get illegal firearms tend to get them, most smuggled from Eastern Europe, or from old stockpiles of paramilitary weapons.

You can only legally own a firearm for hunting, and you must have proof of this intention (permission from at least six landowners to hunt on their land, or be a member of a Gun Club costing about €400/$575 a year) to apply for a License. It is illegal to own a firearm for home protection and the local Garda (Police) Superintendent is the one who approves or rejects license applications.

The only guns ordinary folk own here are shotguns (12 or 20 gauge, single shot, double barrell, or very rarely semi-auto) or rifles (mostly .22 calibres) on an ordinary license. Rank and file Police officers are unarmed and rely on the support of armed Response Units or Detectives.

13. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

HAHAHA!!!! I grew up with Seamus Kennedy's son, Damian. good guy, but nuttier than squirrel turds. lol

I'm about half Irish, my mom's mother was born in Wexford, and I still have some family there and in Dublin. I get back every few years to visit, and I grew up working in the Irish-owned pubs in Annapolis.

Though I am a very right-leaning conservative, it's always good to have opinions from both sides of the aisle to balance us out and keep us honest. Failte!

14. Jason

It's a small world. He's mentioned his son in a couple of his shows and songs.

15. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Well howdy from old kentucky.

16. Bua nó Bás

Bua nó Bás Member

Go raibh maith agat as an fáilte!