Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan ground cover or an eatible landscape.

I'm so tired of weeding out grass,mowing it every few days and working on something so hard you don't benefit that much from.We did start planting fruit trees and putting veggys in the landscape'a few flowers for beauty' a few years ago but still a lot of grass.

I let it take over when knee went out,kness still out bakers cyst still there,but work to do ,besides it does'nt hurt like it did.

Grass is for fields and pastures. Or for people who like to work ,water,fertilize and pesticide.

Live and learn.:cry:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, we're into the 'natural prairie' look here. ;) No mowing, watering, fertilizing.... :D
Good for you and very wise ,imo.:congrat:

If veggys would only grow like weeds and grass,we'd all be putting up more food than we could handle.

We are trying to cover the new garden area with mulch,then if we plant food we will just plant in mulch.Too hard to dig the grass up everywhere.It does help control the sand and dirt comign into the house,but so would mulch or low growing ground covers.

If we let it grow in the yard mosquitos and other bugs multiply.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
If veggys would only grow like weeds and grass,we'd all be putting up more food than we could handle.

If we let it grow in the yard mosquitos and other bugs multiply.
AMEN!!

I keep trying to talk DH into letting me fence in the front yard and put a sheep out there or dig it up and plant flowers for cutting but he won't let me. Sigh...
All my friends agree that if we wanted to sell we could just till it all up and reseed the grass.
We live a mile and a half up a dead end road with only 4 houses passed ours. Hardly anyone would see. We RARELY get company...even company that we invite!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AMEN!!

I keep trying to talk DH into letting me fence in the front yard and put a sheep out there or dig it up and plant flowers for cutting but he won't let me. Sigh...
All my friends agree that if we wanted to sell we could just till it all up and reseed the grass.
We live a mile and a half up a dead end road with only 4 houses passed ours. Hardly anyone would see. We RARELY get company...even company that we invite!
This day and time it may even help to sell it if you dress it up with mulch and pretty perrinial veggys and small fruit trees and flowers of course.

You can buy dwarf trees now that are producing already.Mulch around them and they are very attractive in landscapes.

We have been so busy with fences for dogs ,chickens clearing and gardens we have'nt had time for landscape.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Plan ground cover or an eatible landscape.

I'm so tired of weeding out grass,mowing it every few days and working on something so hard you don't benefit that much from.We did start planting fruit trees and putting veggys in the landscape'a few flowers for beauty' a few years ago but still a lot of grass.

I let it take over when knee went out,kness still out bakers cyst still there,but work to do ,besides it does'nt hurt like it did.

Grass is for fields and pastures. Or for people who like to work ,water,fertilize and pesticide.

Live and learn.:cry:
Wow--Meerkat--did you just touch on a controversial subject on this street--I'm from Tennessee...hey, we treat grass like....well, grass.
On this street, they fertilize, mow every third day...fertilize, baby those yards...trim things only in the fall or spring...hey, if I wanta cut something, I cut it.....nothing died yet-----I would NEVER run my 4 wheeler across the nieghbor's yard...and I even drive all the vehicles in our yard....wow--what a concept...it's grass...not gold..

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow--Meerkat--did you just touch on a controversial subject on this street--I'm from Tennessee...hey, we treat grass like....well, grass.
On this street, they fertilize, mow every third day...fertilize, baby those yards...trim things only in the fall or spring...hey, if I wanta cut something, I cut it.....nothing died yet-----I would NEVER run my 4 wheeler across the nieghbor's yard...and I even drive all the vehicles in our yard....wow--what a concept...it's grass...not gold..
LOl,yes that grass is lss attractive with age too.If you have a garden and animals to care for thats plenty demanding enough.Grass attracts insects if not kept cut down and pesticides.

We planted grass here 14 years ago.Never even considered artificial fertilizer much less poison insect or weed control.Our grass is still healthy,too healthy. :confused:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
What is this "grass" stuff you speak of?

I live in AZ and we dont have this "grass" stuff :D. Actually I just got done yesterday hoe'ing the several weeds that have come up in my dirt lot yard since the monsoon started. We could literally sweep the lose dirt from our front yard and it would look/feel like a concrete slab. Hard to see how those weeds even take root -- but they do!

·
Banned
399 Posts

I live in AZ and we dont have this "grass" stuff :D. Actually I just got done yesterday hoe'ing the several weeds that have come up in my dirt lot yard since the monsoon started. We could literally sweep the lose dirt from our front yard and it would look/feel like a concrete slab. Hard to see how those weeds even take root -- but they do!
Several people I know that live in New Mexico have solved that problem. They cemented their yard and painted it green.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

LOL,its the stuff that make hard labor demands on people foolish enough to plant it.It use to feed animals but now it pollutes rivers ,lakes and oceans.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Several people I know that live in New Mexico have solved that problem. They cemented their yard and painted it green.
I thought of doing stepping stones made from my concrete mold.But not painting it green,not that I see anything wrong with it.

Too much work plus the concrete is double in price now.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I gave up on the formal English lawn a few years ago. Out of our 1.5 acres about half is cleared and all of that was lawn when we moved in. I now weed whack a path from the door to driveway and of course the HOA right of way to keep everyone happy. The place sits back far enough so to see the yard you would have to come up the drive.

A few things I have noticed. First is it is much cooler now with the taller ‘plants’ or weeds as the neighbors call them. Even in the heat of the day the ground stays cool so when the sun dips behind the trees my place cools off faster than the manicured lawn did. It stays green all summer, no brown mowed lawn. No watering or fertilizing! Time saved NOT mowing it. Lots of bees and butterflies around the yard. Color, as in flowers, pretty much all summer. Different ones bloom at different times but wildflowers with no care. Wendy, my old lab, has developed a nice white clover patch by her shade bush. By rolling, laying and grazing the grass/weeds died off and it is a really nice soft, cool place for her to spend time snoozing.

There is a downside though. The place does look a bit abandoned, at least compared to the manicured lawns all around. There are more bugs but most of them are beneficials and pollinators. That’s all I can think of for the bad.

I am stealth gardening this year. I have vegetables and herbs all over, not just in the formal garden. Some are doing much better than in the garden, some not so good. I think once I find where different vegetables are happiest they will outperform their garden partners. If foragers do come around they can have what is in the garden but I do not think they will be searching the ‘weeds’ for random vegetable plants.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gave up on the formal English lawn a few years ago. Out of our 1.5 acres about half is cleared and all of that was lawn when we moved in. I now weed whack a path from the door to driveway and of course the HOA right of way to keep everyone happy. The place sits back far enough so to see the yard you would have to come up the drive.

A few things I have noticed. First is it is much cooler now with the taller 'plants' or weeds as the neighbors call them. Even in the heat of the day the ground stays cool so when the sun dips behind the trees my place cools off faster than the manicured lawn did. It stays green all summer, no brown mowed lawn. No watering or fertilizing! Time saved NOT mowing it. Lots of bees and butterflies around the yard. Color, as in flowers, pretty much all summer. Different ones bloom at different times but wildflowers with no care. Wendy, my old lab, has developed a nice white clover patch by her shade bush. By rolling, laying and grazing the grass/weeds died off and it is a really nice soft, cool place for her to spend time snoozing.

There is a downside though. The place does look a bit abandoned, at least compared to the manicured lawns all around. There are more bugs but most of them are beneficials and pollinators. That's all I can think of for the bad.

I am stealth gardening this year. I have vegetables and herbs all over, not just in the formal garden. Some are doing much better than in the garden, some not so good. I think once I find where different vegetables are happiest they will outperform their garden partners. If foragers do come around they can have what is in the garden but I do not think they will be searching the 'weeds' for random vegetable plants.
We have plenty of butterflies and bees,even bumble bees visit.But in grass its fleas,ticks and mosquitos mostly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Living in AZ for a few years cured me of the grass habit. My theory is this- if your lawn can not be mowed in ten minutes time with a push mower (one without an engine:D) you have too much lawn. With that little bit of grass you have some nice green to rest your eyes on, keep down the dust and have a place to throw a football. Other than that, grass is for livestock in my opinion.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
My theory is this- if your lawn can not be mowed in ten minutes time with a push mower (one without an engine:D) you have too much lawn. With that little bit of grass you have some nice green to rest your eyes on, keep down the dust and have a place to throw a football.
Do you have kids or pets? I like kids to have room to play.

This is my back yard (as well as 1000' into the woods on the right). Room for the kids to play, ride ATV's, run the zip line, and when they play football, they can play a full 100 yards and still have 10 yard end zones on each end.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you have kids or pets? I like kids to have room to play.

This is my back yard (as well as 1000' into the woods on the right). Room for the kids to play, ride ATV's, run the zip line, and when they play football, they can play a full 100 yards and still have 10 yard end zones on each end.
Yes, I do. I have 20 acres for them to run wild on :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
We put it in a Winter cover crop every Fall like rye and then till it into the ground in late Winter to help return nitrogen to the soil for the next season.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But no grass?
Yes, we have grass. In fact, we have more grass than I would like because my spouse prefers more grass than I do. I was just stating (like others did) what my preference was. I have no problem with you having grass. It is, afterall, a semi-free country, lol. For myself, however, I would rather let livestock eat grass and not have to spend time mowing grass. Just my personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts