nettles and eggs / harvest and cook nettles

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by paulwheaton, Jan 23, 2011.

1. paulwheaton

paulwheaton Member

Nettle season isn't too far away in some areas so I thought it would be a good time to upload some footage from last year.

This video is a bit long (ten minutes) and covers a lot of detail of harvest and cooking for folks that might harvest and eat nettles for the first time.

YouTube - paulwheaton12's Channel

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I know that paul puts up some great videos on the how to's but seriously I wish he would hang around and chit chat after he posts one thread--all he does is "fly by posting" lol
    I have seen this exact thread in 4 different forums that I post on this morning.. lol Many members try to post back and start a conversation but only get dead air.... What a downer.:(

3. paulwheaton

paulwheaton Member

Yeah, what a jerk!

We should ban him.

Oh wait .... that's me!

What is it you wanted to chat about?

4. Emerald

HI! Nice to see that you do come back and read what was posted! It just seems like you don't stick around much... But it just could be that you are a busy fella!
    You got any more videos of the rocket mass heaters? like how well they are holding up and such.
    This is kinda my busy time of the year as I am the head of sewing costumes for the drama club!
    Back to nettles-I often have fresh nettles in the spring and I have cut and dried bunches for the chickens in the winter- if you dry them and then add some back to the feed or even to some hot mash for the chickens up here in the cold north during the really cold spells(like right now!:eek:) it adds all kinds of minerals that are so needed in the winter. My uncle used to bale small bales of nettles as the horses loved the dried nettle in the winter too!:D

5. paulwheaton

paulwheaton Member

I have the footage for about seven more videos on rocket mass heaters. Plus, I've been invited to a gathering of RMH instructors at cobville - so I hope to get lots more there.

I have new footage of ernie and erica talking about how it is that a RMH can be eight times more efficient than a conventional woodstove that is rated to be 80% efficient.

I have footage for about 50 more videos on my disk now, I just need to take the time to edit them, upload them and tell people about them. I have the fixins for about 20 more articles in my head - I just need to write them. I have my "day job" and looking at my email is a bit like drinking from the firehose.

And then there are the hundreds of people that think I am doing things all wrong, and I really need to things the way they say. And they seem to find supporters and then they find ways to gum up what I'm doing.

So .... yeah ... busy ...

I try to post my stuff to forums where it seems like a good fit. So I probably post only one thing out of four to this forum. If you like my stuff, it would probably be good to subscribe to me on youtube.

6. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Hey paul,

I subscribed to your page on youtube 2 weeks ago and have been going through your vids. Love them. Is there a good resource on building RMH's other than online? The survival and preparation/homesteading movement is nowhere NEAR what it is in the states and it is extremely rare and difficult to find classes on the most basic of things let alone RMH's. I think they are a great idea and I want to have the knowledge to build a good one once I build my cabin but the only place right now is youtube. Anything hands-on is better than a book.

7. Emerald

I gotta remember to put the smily faces on more as I was trying to poke a bit of fun! not bum ya out! But I do check out your videos quite a bit and have been more than busy myself!
    LOL at the fire hose comment and at all the folks that think they can do it better! Nothing like armchair quarter backs is there! Must be it's going around as some of the moms at the school think that I am not doing a good job, but after doing 6 other plays with great reviews I am not too worried about losing my volunteer job! :D

By the way I love all your videos too and thanks for putting them up and making sure we get a link to them!

8. paulwheaton

paulwheaton Member

Here is a link to my rocket mass heater article. On that page is more stuff, plus the link to the excellent book.

armchair quarterbacks: there's the term. A few times i would have somebody complain about my posting ("this jerk only posts about his stuff!") and so i would stop. And then I would get email from the site owner saying "hey, I subscribe to you and see you have new videos, but why don't you post to my forum anymore." "somebody complained" "well, I outrank them, so i say to ignore them and post away!"

So now I keep on posting until the owner says stop - which hasn't happened yet. I try to keep it only on topic. One forum admin emailed me and said if I put out a video that isn't on topic, they have a forum for off-topic stuff and I should put the other stuff there. One time a guy got mad and the admin gave him what for!

I don't make money with this stuff, but I am a bit bonkers about it. And whenever somebody has a kind word it sure puts the wind in my sails.

I saw earlier today I was about 860,000 total views for my videos. So it is possible I'll break a million in a month or so.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

4 different forums - I have only 3 ... which one am I missing??? lol

10. Emerald

Sufficient self-Idigmygardens- and here ---but I thought I saw him over at survival bill's forum too but now can't find it! Humm... I must be getting old!:dunno: :confused: