NEED HELP!Solar Panel Prices.

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by Meerkat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

I have questions about panels.

I have a Flare 2010-2011 fall,winter catalog.

Et,Kyocera,Sharp and CDT Solar are the brands in in the catalog.I'm sre prices have changed,hopefully they went down some.

80 watt NE-80EJE Sharp is priced at $360.

ETSolar 85 watt is $295.

Kyocera 85 wat is 4449.

Is there that much difference and what type of power bank would I need for a 80 watt panel?

Any of these from China?And does it matter?

2. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

Not to sure about two of them but, I use Sharp and Kyrocera and have been for about 16 years. They are made in Japan and among the best of the best. For general purposes, I would suggest 2 Trojen T-105"s in pararel to get 12 volts

3. Meerkat

Thanks for reply.I know a lot about raising kids,cooking,gardening and a little about lots of things,but I don't know a thing about solar.Don't know a Trojan Panel from a Trojan Horse,so does this mean I can use one 12 volt battery for this 85watt panel?

I know infos out there,but I'm too old and too busy to go web surfing.So if yall could please give it to me easy info intallments I'd be greatful.

There are also 40 to 60 watt panels for under $300.I just need a fan if the power goes out.And to cool down after a hard hot days work.Thanks again.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

5. Meerkat

My dialup refused to allow me access to that page.Another reason why I don't web surf too much.
    My nieghbor has a solar gate opener.It has worked fine for at least 5 yr.s now.it cost her about $339 for the whole set,small panel maybe a sq.ft.,car battery and gate motor,code panels.

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I know those systems well. They are intermittant-use only - 12-hours of charge-time gives about 10-minutes of use per day. If you want a constant-use system, you will need to have enough solar-generating energy to put power into the battery and run the appliances at the same time.

If your appliance (fan in your case) draws 150 watt of power, you will want to have panels that generate 200 watt of power (minimum) so that the panels will power the appliance during peak power-generating time and have some left-over to top-up the batteries charge. It would be better to have double the solar-generating power than what is drawn to give yourself that extra bit of wiggle-room (cloudy-days, etc).

7. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I get some from work, there 80 watts each, they was bought in bulk an cost $350 each, (I get em free when there decomissoned) an they do a perty fair job. There top a the line units fer construction work.

I'd go no lessin 5 units cause it leaves ya some extra power, yer gonna find later ya wan't it. They can be added onta also. I always overbuild, right now I got em hooked ta two 850 amp deep cycle batteries fer running lights an a few other things when they be needed.

I'd go oversize on a charge controller to, cause the cheaper ones can shorten the life a yer batteries. A feller I work with hooked up a couple at a cabin a his, used a cheap controller an boiled the batteries dry. Course, he ain't the smartest frog in the pond, part a that could just be him. But quality still beats price sometimes.

8. KKTipton

KKTipton Member

Go to Sam's Club and buy two 6 volt golf cart batteries. They were $65 each.

These are the cheap version of Trojan T-105 type batteries used for years. Trojan's cost $150 each.

Get a charge controller. It goes between the solar panel and the batteries.

Then get panels. Kyocera are made in Mexico now. Still very good panels.

12 volt panels are going away. Most are 24 volt now. But go 12 volt for small learning system.

The only easily available Kyocera 12 volt is this one:
    Kyocera KD135GX-UPU 135 Watt Solar Panel

There is a HUGE retailer of solar panels in Florida. They only sell panels in pairs:
    Solar Panels, Kits, Inverters | Lowest Prices 98¢/W

Kyocera 135:
    Kyocera Solar Panel 135 Watts 17.70 Vmp [KD-135-SX-UPU] - $337.50 :

As for 12 volt fans, there are only two good solid units in my opinion.

Endless Breeze - $54-80 depending where you look:
    Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze Fan - $54.99

Sold at West Marine and RV dealers as well. I own one and it's great quality.
    It only uses 3 amps of power max. Its 3 speed settings are roughly 1, 2 and 3 amps. Moves a lot of air. Not like a big box fan, but still pretty powerful. They made it for use in ambulances etc. I ran mine all day all night for months from 2 golf cart batteries and the 130 watt Kyocera panel.

The ONLY other option is Snap Fan made in California. Expensive ($300), but they come in 12,24,36,48 volt and multiple sizes. VERY low power consumption. Many of the models are 1 amp or less on full power. They can be hooked direct to solar panels and will run automatically when the sun shines. Great for small greenhouses etc. The 16" would make a great "personal" fan for a room.

Snap-Fan Solar National Air Propulsion

They sell direct:
    Alternative Energy | Commercial

I'm gonna make a small solar info manual in .PDF. I see so many people asking the same questions on forums and not getting help. I want to spread this knowledge around.:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  9. Meerkat

Thanks for info.it was very helpful.

10. Meerkat

Thanks again KK,I could even load the page on the Endless Breeze Fan for $54.Most sites won't come up or boot me off.
    I just really can't afford to make a mistake because it may be the last time I have the money to order solar.
    I'm still studing off the threads here too. I also found my notebook with some info that I forgot I still had.
    I'm thinking on the Trojan batteries snce the news is out that rare earth may get rarer.And they say I need a good controller,I think?And good panels.
    I talked to a couple real jerks at one or two of the solar places here,They only like whole house business,acted mad for me to even waste their time on a couple panel.But I won't give up on the rest.
    :confused:

11. Meerkat

If its not too much more and they are good product i would like to help out those poor japanese.Its terrible what they have gone through.
    But I do hope the product is the same now that the japenese don't produce it.japanese are very thourough and particular from what i know.

12. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you will always run into people like that everywhere. I always recomend that people ask lots of questions here etc to learn as much as they can long before they go buy .. Salesmen can be a real pain. Keep in mind, yesterday , they were probably used car salesmen. What most of them really know about solar and the inner workings, I can write on my thumb nail. But being salesmen, they will talk a good fight.

Although you may think you only want the solar to run a fan at night, what about the rest of the year? If the power were to go out, would it not be more comfortable to be at least power a light or two ? Maybe a laptop or like me , even my desktops ? or watch a little tv. Give this a lot more thought before you lay down serious cash. Yes, there are a lot of good deals out there, but never impulse buy.

13. Meerkat

Well I don't know anything about solar yet.I'm learning reading soem of the replies here,but when yall talk in numbers and letters,I don't know if its a panel or converter.:scratch.But usually I end up figuring it out.:wave:
    I priced soem Auto Craft deep cycle batteries today,but I think I may be better off with the Trojan T-105 which says they last longer,wonder how much they went up?Maybe just one for now,then a controller,converter,panel.Anything else I need besides wires?

14. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

OK, well to start with , the Trojen T-105 batteries are 6 Volt. You need at least 2 of them to make 12 volt and 4 to make 24 v. Just read a little about batteries first, then we will work with you on a solar panel and charge controller. The charge controller measures and controls the amount of charge to go into the battery, and prevents over charging. The Inverter , inverts the dc power of your batteries into usable AC power which is what your house and all of its appliances run on.

15. Meerkat

I read the trojan batteries give out twice the power as other deep cells,is this true?
    I was thinking of just getting one panel to start with'thats all I can afford right now'then adding to it later.So I need a controller and converted I can use later for two batteries and panels,right?
    :dunno::wave:

16. Nadja

Nadja Well-Known Member

If you go the deep cycle batteries as used in a golf cart , they will outlast all the 12 v batteries you can find.

The trick is to buy the best charge controller you can and for sure the best inverter. They are pricy, but from then on , you can add solar panels as you can afford or need.

Meerkat likes this.
  17. Meerkat

I won't be adding anymore than one more solar panel.We are living on a dime now. 2 panels will be the limit for us.We sometiems have a problem buying enough food to eat,much less store up for months.We had at least 3 months preps,but had to use it for other unexspeced expensive things that came up.Now we building gardens,greenhouse and buying preps 'again'.
    Of course I'd like as much power as I could use,but this is not what we can do.
    The gestapo,I mean leaders are also threatening to put meters on our wells,now that they are takign over the water too_Our power bills are rising ,tags,fuel,insurence and food along with everything else.
    Gld I did'nt build that damn pumphouse over the well,and put a bucket on it,for the bastards to seal.Said if we cover the well ,even with tarp to keep tank cooler,it will dd $400 more to taxes.:eek:

sorry my keys keep sickign on this keyboard.had to edit.

18. SoundWisdom

SoundWisdom Member

Sound Wisdom will talk to you.

Call up Sound Wisdom. They offer whole systems and components, and will spend time educating you on the phone. Sound-Wisdom.com

19. Meerkat

I have to get to know you better before I do business with you.Your probaby ok and just trying to make a living,but I can't afford mistakes.
    I'm at the age now where mistakes cost more than they use to.Like this keyboard that gives me a fit.I try to do short form with it.
    Who makes the panels ,converters and controllers you advertising?

20. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

You need to get a "Kill-a-Watt" so you will know how much electricy your "stuff" uses.

Then you can plan around your "demand" and determine how large you need to go to meet it.