Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an utter n00b when it comes to black powder,my only experience with it was a cheap 36 caliber revolver that I owned for a month before selling it,but being older and looking down the road,I'm seeing a real need for having some kind of black powder weaponry in stock so here's what I'm looking for:

A stainless steel revolver,I heard Ruger made one a few years back,are they still out there?

A stainless steel rolling block type rifle or front loader.

Which is better?percussion or flint lock and which is easiest to maintain and find
ammunition making materials for?

yes,I'm dumb.:wave:

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Wow, there’s a lot of ground to cover here. Look at Cabela’s for chrome plated replica revolvers. 1858 Remington style with target sights is the most accurate. Ruger made a cap-n-ball revolver named the “Old Army.” Don’t know if they’re still making it but there should be a lot of them around used. They were pricey for black powder revolvers but are very well built and accurate. I’d recommend getting a bullet mold from Lee to go with a percussion revolver. The bullets are more accurate than round balls in my experience.

If you aren’t worried about being historically accurate I’d recommend one of the in-line muzzleloaders. Most use shotgun shell primers for ignition and are available in stainless steel. You can mount a scope to them and shoot handgun bullets using a sabot. There are also premium bullets with sabots made by several manufacturers. With a good load and scope they’re very deadly to 200 yards and beyond. Savage makes one that you can use smokeless powder with.

Flintlock ignition will be available only on historical replica firearms. When set up properly it’s very reliable but can be fussy to work with if you don’t know what you’re doing. Flint or a substitute can be found in many places and if you make your own black powder and cast your own balls you can shoot it for years without outside assistance.

Percussion is more reliable but you need to stock up on percussion caps.

I have several BP rifles and handguns and several thousand percussion caps stocked up. I have both old-time replica rifles and an inline scoped rifle that uses shotshell primers (I have several thousand of those too).

If you’re looking at it from a survival perspective I’d recommend a good inline rifle with plenty of primers or caps as needed with a good stock of powder and bullets. (You can buy sabots and cast your own pistol bullets if you need to.) Then buy one or more BP revolvers of your choice with plenty of caps, powder and bullets to go with them.

If you’re going with a flintlock it’s best to get with someone who shoots them to teach you how to do it right.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I've used a great deal of BP in the last 20 years, I shot Cowboy Action with BP, it was a hoot... it's fun to play with, I've killed deer with it ( 1873 Win 44-40 ) and it turned their lights out just fine..

Would I think in terms fo making it my survival arsenal ? no..not at all...

Recently I bought a rifle, of a type I've never owned, it's a Yugo Mauser straight bolt 8mm , I can say this in all honesty , you would not want a decent rifleman shooting at you from 10 ft to 1000 yards, this damn thing shoots !!!!

Ammo thru Ammoman.com is 200.00 for 900 rounds and that includes shipping !!
My rifle was $125.00 most are around $200.00 or so... rifle and 900 rounds of ammo..400.00...why mess with BP?

Black powder is a lot of fun and I love shooting it, but one shot and everybody for a mile around knows where you are... BIG cloud of smoke!!

But there is a lot to be said for having plenty of BP around...and a lot to not be said about it..:D

I'm not trying to pee on your idea, just giving another possible trail to walk down...

Given a choice of a BP gun or a Bow I'd take the bow any day...

I was going to write a bit about the Mauser anyway and post it here simply because it's a hell of a rifle and while it don't shoot a mag full like the "Poodle Shooters" it will take down a brick wall in damn good order!!

My thought was a family needing weapons could buy 3 of them and 1800 rounds of ammo for the cost of an AR and some mags...

Two kids of friends shot it, she is 15 and he's 13, they shot the hell out of it!! burned up a lot of ammo..and both were hitting a 5 gals bucket sized rock at 300 yds "Offhand" ...No Chit!! I'll swear an oath on it.. no fear, no complaints about recoil.. I was simply amazed .

Look at them!!

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love my Brno 98 Mauser!did you know one of the "generic" Yugos can be had for 125$
I'd buy surplus Berdan and reload rather than pay 30$ a box for the other.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Missed a mauser on a site the other day $60 :cry: it was a nice rifle to. Maybe getting just to old and slow. ;) The mauser is a fine weapon and they might be out dated but they can shoot like a mad dog, and at distances. HozayBuck hits the nail on the head, get ya one and try it out. Cheap enough to give it a shot and if ya don't like it give me a call i,d like to get one for let,s say $60. :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
NOTE !!
Aimsurplus has a few ex cond CZ Brnos.. $209,00 very nice, I'm ordering one...

Ammo man has ammo 900 rounds for 199.. shipped!!!

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet!an 8mm is as powerful as a 30-06 and seems a bit more accurate.should make a hell of a deer gun.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Black powder

Black powder can be made from Charcoal, Sulfer and Salt petter.

It is useless when wet but when it drys back out it is as good as ever.

Many fronteersmen made their own.

A flintlock has a longer lock time and therefor requires a steadier aim than a cap lock but the flint and leather to wrap the flint in are readiely available in the enviorment.

Louis and Clark made 250 yard shots on prarie dogs with the flintlocks they carried.

So as far as being able to sustain the weapon with powder and ignition, a flintlock would be the best choise if you want a renueable long term survival weapon.

These guns required frequent care and inspection to keep them operational and accurate.

William ( wild Bill ) Hichock fired his cap and ball revolvers dailey to insure they worked and were accurate. I guess it was important to him to know they were still fully functional. :rolleyes:

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do I get "salt peter"?

[No wise @ss cracks.LOL]

I remember something about it being made from bat crap you get in a cave....

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Black powder can be made from Charcoal, Sulfer and Salt petter.

It is useless when wet but when it drys back out it is as good as ever.

Many fronteersmen made their own.

A flintlock has a longer lock time and therefor requires a steadier aim than a cap lock but the flint and leather to wrap the flint in are readiely available in the enviorment.

Louis and Clark made 250 yard shots on prarie dogs with the flintlocks they carried.

So as far as being able to sustain the weapon with powder and ignition, a flintlock would be the best choise if you want a renueable long term survival weapon.

These guns required frequent care and inspection to keep them operational and accurate.

William ( wild Bill ) Hichock fired his cap and ball revolvers dailey to insure they worked and were accurate. I guess it was important to him to know they were still fully functional. :rolleyes:
I thought they used airguns? ;)

[No wise @ss cracks.LOL]

Potasium Nitrate (KNO3) can be made by combining ammonium nitrate (used in instant cold packs) and potassium chloride (a sodium-free salt substitute). Potassium nitrate is also used as a tree stump remover, as it accelerates the natural decomposition of the stump. Guano has differing amounts of Potasium Nitrate along with Sodium Nitrate (NaNO3) which is called Peruvian Saltpetre.

yes, I could film a ******* version of Breaking Bad... ;) :D

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Saltpeter

[No wise @ss cracks.LOL]

The pioneers made saltpeter from manure or human feces that they placed in an inclined wooden trough on top of straw . They then placed ashes from the fireplace on top of the fecal material, Water was slowly leached through the mixture and the runoff was collected and evaporated . The residue left in the evaporation pan was saltpeter.

60 % charcole
30% sulfer
10% saltpeter

The powdered ingrediants were mixed together with water into a dough and dryed in the sun on a tin pan.

Once thouroughly dried, the dried compound was pulverized in a wooden mortus and pedistile.

Then you had gun powder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts