Nalgene Stainless Steel Bottle

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tyler_kd0bsa, Jan 24, 2011.

1. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

I recently bought a stainless steel nalgene water bottle to add to my kit. I wanted a stainless steel bottle cause you can boil water if need be in it plus its durable. So far I've had it for a day and like it a lot. It has the typical wide mouth that the more common nalgenes have but the cap seems more durable to me and isn't attached by a piece of plastic but instead a piece of cord. The sad part is I ordered it and received a defective bottle that leaks. So I called their customer service this morning and explained what happened and the lady apologized for the problem and then said if I give her my address she would send a new one right away. I then proceeded to ask if I had to send the old one back and this is the shocker. She said to just discard it in the trash. I don't think I can do that to such a nice bottle. I might try to fix the leak or find something to store in it. I just couldn't believe that without any fuss they were willing to send me a new one and without returning the damaged one. I have quite a few nalgene bottle and will continue to buy them with their customer service like it is.

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

My BOB is a Nalgene SS one also, bought for the same reason, you can boil water in it. I bought the wide throat one, you can fit a Silva orienteering compass in it. What store did you get it from, Where didi it leak? I have several Nalgene Bottles and have never hadthat problem.

3. tyler_kd0bsa

I bought it from nalgene direct. The leak Is around the throat of the bottle. If you pay careful attention there is a seam where the threaded mouth part joins the body of the bottle and I often carry my bottle in a bag with me and cannot always guarantee it will stay upright. It happened to tip over the other day and that's when I noticed that it was leaking on the underside of the rim below the threaded part. The body of the bottle and the mouth of it are two separate parts and are joined somehow. I'm gonna ask my uncle who works for a big machine and fabrication shop if he might be able to fix it someway. Whether he welds it or can press the parts together more. I just hate to throw away such a nice bottle.

4. FirstActionSelfDefense

FirstActionSelfDefense Always Learning

Its always great to find good customer service. They would probably just throw it away themselves in anycase. It would probably cost them more to cover the return shipping. America is really good for that sort of thing (I assume that is where you are) Im in malaysia at the moment and the customer service is non existent for issues like that, its more like once youve bought something then they are done with you.

If the leak is the same as tylers then maybe a quick solder job would do the trick?

5. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Engine block epoxy.

put a thin bead around the leak,wet your finger to smooth it,sand it down an re paint it.

I'm a fan of the WWII canteens myself.:D
    I've used the same one for 30 years.

6. FirstActionSelfDefense

FirstActionSelfDefense Always Learning

What are they made out of? These days the aust military makes them out of plastic. If you drop your pack on them the lids crack.. I remember breaking 2 in one training session. The govt doesnt seem to realise if you purchase quality then it will last, which will save money in the long run.

7. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Stainless steel.

you can repair the stopper with any old inner tube as well. :)

8. sailaway

Contact Nalgene, explain the problem, return it, they may give you a couple of free ones, especially if you wein alot and ask them what they are going to do for you!:cry: I know I lived in Miami too long!:D:eek:

9. tyler_kd0bsa

I ended getting two new ones out of the deal. I got one then a few days later another came. So Im happy.

10. sailaway

I've got a WWII canteen cup, love it, you can use it over an open fire. The current BackWoodsman Mag. has a guy who took a WWII Mess kit and uses it for his bugout bottle/bag. Great Idea! strong, flat, heat resistant, you just can't use it as a water bottle. but can fit lots of flat stuff in it or store it in a flat space like in a car or small backpack. They just weigh more.

I started cruising the surpluss stores in my area and all they have are the cheap, small, Chineese ones that barely fit or stay together.