Mystery Truck

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by ReconCraftTheta, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

My friend and I got bored during the early morning hours of July 1st, 2010, and being teenagers, we thought "Hey, lets go out for an early morning walk." About half way through our walk, we spotted a white pick up truck, bearing a flashing orange siren type bulb. The driver would drive down in increments down the road, stopping, then starting up again, when he hit a turning off road, he pulled off, turned around, and then continued on his original path. I checked for cerfews in our town, and there were no cerfews. If anyone could offer some insight as to what he/she was doing....:2thumb:

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

we have two different trucks that go down our roads around here in MI that sound like the one you are seeing-- one does a road check every so often to check the state of the roads and one is the dead animal pick up- the dead animal pick up crew goes down the roads with the windows down, so they can smell one that you might not see. they go really slow and stop every so often, but they do have signs on the door and you can tell them by the smell they usually give off!:eek:
    It could have been just some county guy who lost something out the window..

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

4. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Recon, here in NEPA a few years ago, a GPS company contracted by the state was conducting GPS lacation surveys. They were not PENNDOT trucks nor did they have municipal license plates. The were white company trucks. Of course now, we are swamped with white gas company trucks because of the tremendous Marcellus gas shale drilling and pipeline activity. Pottsville seems a bit too far south for Marcellus activity, though.

5. ReconCraftTheta

Thanks guys! It's light color was orange, and the truck was white, I probobley should have added that we were at my grandma's house in Binghamton, NY

6. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Google maps or some other street level gps mapping is the first thing that comes to mind. Our local cable company contracts out to yahoos in white trucks or vans to do installs and repairs.

7. ikean

ikean Newbie

he may be doing locating for pipeline or underground utility repairs.Here they use white rangers with a camper shell.My auction processes them out for the fleet co.

8. ShadowSGT

ShadowSGT New Member

Electric meters are now read by handheld IR devices now also.

9. flatwater

flatwater Well-Known Member

Maybe he was the mailman with a bad hangover

10. ReconCraftTheta

That just made my day.

11. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

12. ReconCraftTheta

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Sometimes papers come that early. When we were still milking cows (pre 2000) we'd get to the barn between 5:30 and 6:00AM and the paper was already in the box in front of the barn most mornings when we got there.

14. ReconCraftTheta

Now that you say it, it seems plausible. But this guy wasn't going house to house. I'd stick with either road crew or roadkill pick up.

15. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

One of our daughter's just dropped her paper route. She has 4 young children and thought it would be an ideal job because she'd by back home by 6:30, before her husband left for work.

She had to be there by 3:00 a.m. to pick up the newspapers for delivery.

Not all houses get the newspaper (this is the daily local paper for her town), so it's still possible it was a newspaper delivery, but if it was, it would happen every night, not just once.

So I'd vote for "probably not" on the newspaper.

Recon, has it ever been back?

16. ReconCraftTheta

Haven't seen it. So yeah, lets go with that option.

17. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

If it's not there regularly, then I agree too. Creepy.

18. woodsman23

woodsman23 Well-Known Member

ninjas, aliens, Muslims, prostitution, area 51 rejects.. goberment folks....

19. ReconCraftTheta

Haha, this truck is totally a conspiracy! It's Broome county's 2012 truck! run for your lives! haha

20. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Exaaactly.

One of the firearms tactics instructors from some counter-terrorism training that I had recently told us at the end of the course to remember that there are not always going to be "ninjas in the trees". He said that the natural reaction in our line of work is to start to assume that everybody is a terrorist, because you get trained and then get used to looking for tiny clues. However, very often the simplest answer is the correct answer. Unless you start seeing a bunch of SWAT guys running around your neighborhood (and if you do, they are not very good), odds are good that a vehicle of that type is simply a county/state maintenance truck of some sort. They told us point-blank that if we try to find the "ninjas in the trees" at every turn, you will drive yourself completely nutty, and then you won't recognize a real threat when it hits. Awareness is good, hyper-vigilance is bad.