Mylor Bags VS Food Saver

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Meerkat, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

First off where do you get mylor bags and h2o absorders.

Also what is the difference in quality of dehydrated food when using mylor bags oe Food Saver?

We are learning about putting up food and have dried some food and canned some food.But the canning is hard to store in our little house,even raising the bed.
    Some of the food saver food seal has broken,must have been a sharp point.
    Are there any stores that sell mylor bags and h2o absobers?

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Get my mylar bags off a ebay. Ya can get the bags an O2 absorbers as a package deal. Was best I had found.

I vacuum sealy my mylars, be the stuff I wanna keep the longest cause it don't let air er light in as a vac bag will over time.

Yeah, I always shelve my stuff fer at least a month after sealin, then inta long term storage, ya find the leakers that way.

I vac bag stuff were likely ta use sooner then the od dear stuff.

Instant coffee, creamer, seasonins, beans, rice, noodles, dried soups all that long term stuff goes inta mylar vac sealed an stored in totes.

Quality comes inta play with storage times, shorter storage time a vac bag be fine an fer longer storage ya wanna use the mylars fer the above mentioned reasons.

3. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

I haven't punctured a mylar yet, but seems to me they could puncture fairly easily in rough handling. So I'd put them in boxes or bins after sealing them.

4. Meerkat

Thanks Coot.Very good info.I'm learning as fast as i can. :wave:

5. Meerkat

Thanks for reply,but I was talking about the food saver bags had a puncture,must have been sharp edges from drying them,I've never even seen a mylor bag yet or 020 absorbers.I had them stored with some canning in a dark cabinet,and I smelled something,it was about 5 broken seal food saver bags.

6. Meerkat

Also I hear some use dry ice,but thats not possible if its not availale in your area.:wave:

7. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Dry ice was used in buckets ta drive out the oxygen an leave nitrogen gas. Ain't many folks use it since they come out with the O2 absorbers.

There be several vidos an I think a few folk on here have showed how they pull somewhat of a vacuum on the big mylars what go inta 5 gallon buckets.

Pointy stuff will poke a hole in either the vac bags er mylar. If ya wan't, ya can put that stuff in a open ziplock bag an wrap with seran wrap so they don't do that. Then ya got stuff in a resealable bag after ya open it to.

8. Dove150

Dove150 Well-Known Member

9. Meerkat

I'll try that next time.
    Waste of food and hard work to make mistakes like this.