Mylar question

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Moose33, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm really new here and have been reading every day. I recently purchased 10 or so mylar bags with O2 absorbers. I've never seen or used mylar before. I can see through these bags if I hold them up to a light bulb. They are the usual silverish color outside and not clear but opaque. I can easily see the light bulb from the inside out or the outside in. Is this "normal"?

Sorry if this seems an elementary question. Everything in my pantry is in cans or mason jars. I want to use these bags to put up some dried beans.
    Any words of wisdom will be appreicated.
    Moose

2. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

no, I've never heard of that before with mylar. where did you get them?
    part of the benefit of mylar is that they block the light. i have heard there is some that are thinner and colored. I would consider returning them or at least call the company to find out the thickness and that they are appropriate for long term food storage.
    I get mine from USA Emergency Supply online and none look like you are describing.

3. Moose33

Thanks Herbalpagan,
    I thought something might be hinkey. I saw an ebay seller that a couple of folks reccomended so thought I'd give it a go. When I could see the light bulb through the bags I thought, how the heck is this going to protect anything from light. I will contact the vendor but I'm guessing this may be one chalked up to "lesson learned." Thanks again, I do appreciate the assist.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

4. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Thanks for posting your 'lesson learned' - it's a lesson for other rookies (like me), too. ;)

Herbalpagan, I'm planning on getting some mylar from USA Em, too - and I see that have zip lock mylar, too, which would be a lot more convenient, but doesn't seem a good long-term option. Any thoughts?

5. Moose33

Hi goshengirl,
    Any time I can learn from someone else's mistakes I will. If somebody can learn from mine (and there've been plenty to learn from) so much the better.

I need to take a closer look at different types of mylar and figure out what's what before I do this again. Good thing the storage area is darker than a pocket.
    Take it easy,
    Moose

I've gotten a reply from the ebay seller, these bags are meant to be used in food storage buckets. I won't be using these for my "on the shelf" storage. I'm off to hunt down different, light proof, bags.
    Moose

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011