My Venting About A City

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by IrritatedWithUS, May 25, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

I live in a really nice neighborhood of old Victorian homes. Once the recession hit, people that have been in their homes for years moved away. Homes were sold as rentals or left abandoned. Crime has skyrocketed in just the past 4 months. Within a 3-block radius we have had shootings, arson, home invasions with weapons involved, robbery, and graffiti issues. I am slowly watching my neighborhood turn into Detroit. Just a few years ago these homes were $300,000 homes that seemed like they jumped out of the pages of a book.

Recently, we have an serial animal killer on the loose. In just 2 and a half weeks, someone has been shooting dogs in their fenced yards. 3 dogs have died. On one section of the sidewalk (about a 20ft long space), I have found dead hamsters. I originally thought that someone's hamsters got out of their cage and died. However, days later in the same spot I found a duck with it's neck broken and a large turtle next to it. I contacted the police and made an assumption that this has something to do with the dog killings and I haven't heard anything back.

Today, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE.
    There is construction up the road uphill. There are a lot of construction vehicles involved and they have an above-ground free-standing cylinder fuel tank for refueling of their vehicles. This thing is probably 20 feet long. I woke up this morning and someone had drilled multiple times into the tank. This drill had to of been huge because it left GAPING HOLES. HUNDREDS OF GALLONS OF GAS went roaring downhill. I woke up to an oil slick as far as the neighborhood can see covering the street and it's all OVER my front yard. I took a walk uphill and that's when I realized the tank was vandalized.

I have no clue what to do. I updated my security systems and bought more ammo. I am in NO position to move financially at all. The only reason why I am stuck in the city is because I was born here and I am attending a university pulling off a double major. People make me absolutely sick!! :gaah::gaah: I am ready to move after I graduate.

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Wow, that is scary crazy! How did they drill big holes in the tank without getting gas all over themselves?? What a mess! I would be freaking out if I had to worry about my pet and livestock. I would be even more worried about my children with someone like that roaming the neighborhood! Stay safe!

3. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

EEGADS!! Thats a real nightmare come true. So sorry you have to go through this.
    This is whats happenning to a great neighborhood under stress. What the H is gonna happen when those hoodlums have no food, no power. They will go alot wilder than that and it will be all of us that will have to police the hard times.
    Imagine for a minute: We are close to one of the worst disasterous food shortages in the history of the 1st world nations. Now there is a solar flare or CME or EMP that fries our grid. It is going to take the govt YEARS to get the grid back up because it will ALL literally have to be rewired.. generators and power station equipment, will have to be rebuilt (without electricity). Theres a food shortage- no way to pump gas due to the electrical system being down.. so no food deliveries to the grocery stores. Folks get hungry- and then, they get mean.
    I hate that your are having to go through this in your neighborhood with little or no police protection or even police reaction! This is a microcosm of a worst case scenario.

4. IrritatedWithUS

I laughed out loud when I read this. I live 2 blocks away from a police station :)

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

What's really scary about the fuel tank vandalism is that they did it just for thrills. Even in this day of crazy fuel prices they just let it all go. It'd be bad enough (and still inexcusable) if they were desperate for the money and stole the gas to resell it, but they were just out to make a mess at someone else's expense (literally).

Just be thankful they didn't try to ignite it.

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Was it gas or diesel?

If it was gas, they're darn lucky (maaaaayyyybe!) it didn't explode. You described an oil slick on the street and your yard, so I wondered if it was diesel.

Either way, the whole situation sucks. How long until you graduate and can get out of there?

Stay safe. :(

7. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Whenever I read about things like this, the more I realize that my choice to move to a rural area in a small Tennessee town when I retire (in 4 more years) is a wise choice. My heart goes out to you, my friend. :eek:

8. Centraltn

Harley when ya get here to Tn.. look us up! We are near Cookeville

9. Davo45

Davo45 New here

I'm sorry that your neighborhood has become so crime ridden and that some idiots with nothing better to do with their time drilled holes in that fuel tank. The area I grew up in has become much the same way. I've given up asking my mom to move, she still refuses to even after my dad died 3 years ago. She has a sister next door and neither will leave the other behind. They've both got alarm systems, but they only scare off the timid.

Is your city one of those I've been reading about who've been laying off a lot of its officers? I've read about more than a few who have done away with their police forces altogether and contracted with the sheriff for deputies. The city I work for considered doing that, but the local business owners threatened to close their doors and move out of the city limits.

In our last departmental meeting last Tuesday, the chief told us to start cutting down on patrol because we were way over budget for fuel costs. We still patrol the center of town, but some of the outer areas aren't being patrolled regularly.

With that large of a spill I'm very surprised you don't have the EPA and your state's equal to it swarming around the area by now. We had 30 gallons of diesel fuel spill after an 18 wheeler wreck recently and had the county EMA and ADEM on scene to oversee the clean up. The EMA staffer on scene said if it wasn't all cleaned up, including any contaminated soil being dug up and hauled to the only landfill in Alabama approved for Hazardous Materials the county would have to pay a $25,000 fine.

I hope that you're able to move away from there soon.

Take care,

Dave

10. IrritatedWithUS

I have at least a year and a half of school left. I think I can be a pharmacist in a small town, right?? :)

Cleanup was yesterday afternoon and they're still cleaning today.

I'm done with the city!

11. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes you can, we need them here in Texas, and we are holding strong.

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

You finally told where you live...Springfield for 57 years here...moved to Ky almost 4 years ago.

13. IrritatedWithUS

My city has officially gone to sh*t...

The city will probably most definitely pay for GENDER-REASSIGNMENT SURGERIES on the TAXPAYER DIME for CITY WORKERS when the city
    doesn't pay for dental anymore and slashed medical...
    So nice we have money when we have a 9% unemployment rate, they have shut down 23 public schools, libraries are closed 2 days a week for lack of funding, but the folks can get sex changes for free including aftercare paid for by taxpayers. The city said they want to "follow in the footsteps of San Francisco, Seattle, IBM, ****, and Google"

Why can't I say N I K E on here without it being censored?

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I know you said Detroit ... but it also sounds very much like Flint, which has now passed Detroit as #1 (per a report out the other day) ... But either way it is "BAD NEWS".

My Uncle is in the same boat as you ... his once great neighborhood has gone to hell in a hand basket. People can't sell their homes, so they are abandoned. Then taken over by some, not so nice people. No power or water to the abandoned homes ... but that don't stop them from moving in. Drugs, gangs and Ladies of the night now rule the neighborhood.

My mom got to see her first (second and third) gang fight on the last trip to Flint. The police was called but they never did show up. 911 did call back a few times to ask questions but that was it.

I fear for my Uncle (and my parents when they visit) ... but he said the scum would not run him out of his house. He has told them all, he was from W. Va. ... and had a gun an knew how to use it. But I still worry about the guy so hopped up on drugs, thinking ... will see about that ...

It's not looking good my friend ...

15. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

Cant say ****? What is that about? Our **** overlords are watching us? That is very strange.

Were in 3 wars, and who knows how many 'police actions' and we are cutting budgets all over the country.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  16. IrritatedWithUS

Just got news tonight that they caught the people killing the animals!
    3 teenagers, two 16 year olds and a 17 year old driving around with a .22 rifle.
    They are now in juvenile hall hopefully until their old enough to be transported to 'big boy jail' for awhile.

17. Centraltn

GOOD! They shoulda shot em with a .22