My Spiral Strawberry Patch

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by catsraven, Mar 26, 2011.

1. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I went to one of the farmers markets yesterday and got strawberry plants for a 1.00 apiece. I put them in one of the spirals that I made. I think it looks cool.

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested how I made the spiral Ill post how I made them.

2. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

That is very cool CR ... I have finally convinced the hubby to let me put edibles in the front yard (the light is sooooo much better there) ... That would make a really pretty "decoration" for the corner by the driveway! :D

Any special tricks to it??

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Measure out the space (in this case it is 3ft X 3ft). Saturate the ground until it will hold no more water. Put down news paper or flatten boxes or in my case paper feed sacks. Saturate the paper as well. there are two reasons 1 it will block weeds and 2 it will rot and give the plants food.

Put down your first layer of soil

[​IMG]

start putting your rocks around it

[​IMG]

start your spiral before you get to the end

[​IMG]

space the rows about six inch apart. when you get about half way around add more dirt. spread it out and continue until you get to the top. keep adding dirt it should rise as you go.

[​IMG]

It took me an hour and a half to make the small one. This is the big one 6ft X 6ft

[​IMG]

This is the small one

4. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... I know JUST the spot. That is so pretty! and I am such a dunce at figuring out stuff like that ... thanks for the pics. Poor hubby ... :D

5. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

That is very cool! :2thumb:

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:melikey:

Now ... where can I put mine ??? :D

Thanks for posting.

7. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I love this! Weed free!! Great idea!!

8. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Startin some strawberries in containers this year with the idear a plantin em in beds next year (I just ain't gonna have the time ta build a strawberrie bed right now!) an I like that spiral idear. Might have ta put a couple a them in to! Rite nice thought there!