Prepared Society Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My son's sixt grade class....

12K views 60 replies 25 participants last post by  lovetogrow 
#1 ·
This is why I wish my son was being homeschooled, and why this may happend a lot sooner than I had planned.

In sixth grade, they are going over world religions. I just got a look at the powerpoint presentation for Islam, the last religion covered.

I could literally feel my blood pressure rising. I have stated before that I am an adult Sunday school teacher, and have been researching other religions for quite a while now in preparation for a class I am teaching on the subject.

My son is bing taught that Islam is "founded" in Judaism and Christianity. And that Islam is the next step in the progression of religions.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...ohxNJ8zJEQNHugQXOin19l-L0O4/edit#slide=id.p29

That is his teacher's website. I don't know how to get the powerpoint slides to copy and paste, but I am working on it. You won't believe what you see, especially when what has been taught about the other religions is taken into context. This one powerpoint pres has over 20 slides. That's more information than the entire sections on Hinduism and Buddhism combined.

See less See more
#28 ·
We'll I personally think that teacher is wrong, the religion is based in
Judaism but IS NOT a progressive
religion.it is racist, sexist and controlling and while I have nothing against religious people, I DESPISE religion that harms people, and hurtful and judgemental religion. I hate Islam and fundamentalism,

#29 ·
We'll I personally think that teacher is wrong, the religion is based in
Judaism but IS NOT a progressive
religion.it is racist, sexist and controlling and while I have nothing against religious people, I DESPISE religion that harms people, and hurtful and judgemental religion. I hate Islam and fundamentalism,
Okay, This shows how young you really are. You say you Despise the very acts you are committing.
:scratch

#31 ·
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has. I'm not saying all religion I just said harmful and hurtful religion
Yeah, no. My Grandfather had a saying he liked to say to us kids, "A man is only worth as much as his word is true."

I don't 'trust' attention whores who only post to forums to stir sh*t and not share anything of true merit.

#33 ·
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has. I'm not saying all religion I just said harmful and hurtful religion
"Trust you"? I don't think so. I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of the issue, let alone an unbiased one. Even if you did, people shouldn't just "trust you", they should think for themselves and do the research themselves.

As to the harm caused by atheists, start with Stalin, Hitler and Mao. Look up the Holodomor, the Holocaust, the Great Chinese famine etc, don't "trust me" or anyone else for that matter, look it up for yourself.

#34 ·
"Trust you"? I don't think so. I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of the issue, let alone an unbiased one. Even if you did, people shouldn't just "trust you", they should think for themselves and do the research themselves.

As to the harm caused by atheists, start with Stalin, Hitler and Mao. Look up the Holodomor, the Holocaust, the Great Chinese famine etc, don't "trust me" or anyone else for that matter, look it up for yourself.
Hitler was not an atheist and you're argument is ridiculous, the crusades, holocaust, Islamic terror, catholic rape scandal, 9/11, the WBC, the war on terror, the civil war, the revolutionary war, just to name a few

#35 ·
Hitler was not an atheist

Right, so I suppose you think he was a Christian and I should "trust you":rolleyes:, tell that to Goebbels.

and you're argument is ridiculous, the crusades, holocaust, Islamic terror, catholic rape scandal, 9/11, the WBC, the war on terror, the civil war, the revolutionary war, just to name a few
Leaving aside Hitler, The Holodomor= 2,500,000- 7,000,000 lives, The great Chinese famine= far more than 15,000,000 possibly as high as 70,000,000 lives.

Anyways, this is straying from the O.T to a strictly religious argument. That's what happens when people make uninformed provocative statements like;
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has.
I will leave this thread alone now, just had to call B.S on your original statement.

#36 ·
So, a good outcome, relatively speaking. I think the take away from this incident for all of my fellow parents out there is that if your kids are in public schools, then we have got to be active in every aspect of their instruction. It's not enough anymore to trust that the system is going to do what it was originally designed and intended to accomplish.
So the people you entrust your child's education to basically told you it never occurred to them that they should actually read the references first before presenting them as fact & giving kids access to them? :scratch. What college did she go to? Total BS. They fed you a line of crap to get you to go away.

The system does EXACTLY what it was designed to do, make the people easy to control. One of the ways they do it is to not teach logic so the student has no objective means of evaluating information. Without those skills, they can be easily lead around by their emotions & made to believe anything that sounds good.

DM, I hate to break it to you but that's NOT good. Not at all.

#37 ·
Okay, I wanted to give you guys an update....

Now, for the bad news.... When I brought up the islamkids website, neither the teacher nor the assistant principals had even taken the time to look through the site at all. Apparently, the school system has an automated screening program that is designed to pick out certain words and combinations of words that will flag a site as inappropriate. The teacher assumed that since this website did not get flagged by the automatic screening program, that it was "okay" to use.
I'm going to have to give this a "HUH???" also.

First, in the 1960's and 1970's public school NEVER had any courses on any kind of religion. There were no you have to like these people because... or you have to hate these people because... No touchy feely kind of be tolerant of these people because....

It was Math, English, Biology... Although I do not have first hand knowledge of this!!! I went to a private Catholic school and we DID have religious instruction every day. All my friends went to public schools (as did one sister of mine) and it never came up. At a Catholic school we NEVER had any classes on other religions. If ever a place was to have something on another religion, I would think this would be the place for it? You know, we are right and they are wrong because... We will go to Heaven and they won't because... Kind of thing.

It is no wonder the first year of college courses are so basic. They have to make up for all the time public schools wasted time trying to make good citizens rather than educate young adults.

Don't believe me? Next time you checkout from a store, tell the cashier you have the wrong change. They will look flustered and check the screen. "No, you gave me a $20 and it says I owe you $3.42 back" "Well, my total was $16.58, could you count the change back to me?" You will most likely get a manager called over and even they might have a hard time taking your total and adding the change you hold onto the total of your purchase to come to $20. Ok, Your total is $16.58. To pennies makes $16.60, a dime makes it $16.70, nickel $16.75.....

#38 ·
I think you guys are correct when you say that teachers and administrators not checking content first before allowing kids to access it is a real problem. But I don't think it's a problem that originates with the teachers. I think this is an issue that really rests in the administration level of the school district and possible state Department of Education.

The way this system operates is as follows:

1) The state BOE sets up a program designed to "screen" web content to prevent access to "offensive and age-inappropriate materials" (we can have the discussion about whether this is a judgment call we should let the DoEd make with concern to our kids)

2) Teachers wanting to use web sites pass them through the "screening" program and get an output.

3) If the site passes the program, they are cleared to use it in class.

The problem is that the teacher themselves aren't questioning the system. No one is checking to see what content that "screening" program is putting through. Whether this is apathy, laziness, or collusion is really a question I can't answer at this point. I think, though, that a best case scenario is teachers feel complacent in trusting the system to do their thinking for them (definitely NOT the attitude I want my son to learn, by the way).

I have put in requests to see this "screening" program in action to the CMS board of education. However, our board of education is currently in such a state of chaos that they can't even keep a superintendent for more than about 18 months, so I have very conservative expectations where that is concerned. If I don't get results with the local board, though, I already know who to go to at the state level.

Having grown up with a parent who is a teacher, and has been a teach for the past 27 years, the last thing I wanted to do is go in and nail the teachers butt to the wall if she didn't deserve it. And, to be honest, reading the reactions of all involved none of them were a willing and active participant.

I can tell you this, the website was taken down that night, and hasn't appeared on any CMS content website that I've seen since. I have been keeping an eye on each and every assignment since this incident, and have seen nothing to raise similar red flags. I still think the bigger point here, bigger even than the content of the website, was the lack of response on the part of other parents. I mean, for Pete's sake, I work 45+ hours a week at an hourly rate job, and I found time to check up on this stuff and go talk to someone about it.... Not one other parent even lodged a complaint.

The Department of Education is just like any other incarnation of our government. They couldn't get away with the things they get away with if they didn't have the absolute apathy of the average American to count on. And that is just sad.

#39 ·
The Department of Education is just like any other incarnation of our government. They couldn't get away with the things they get away with if they didn't have the absolute apathy of the average American to count on. And that is just sad.
The education system in our nation was a target… no need to dredge up 100 years of history (research it on your own, many books detail it).

[The system does EXACTLY what it was designed to do, make the people easy to control. One of the ways they do it is to not teach logic so the student has no objective means of evaluating information. Without those skills, they can be easily lead around by their emotions & made to believe anything that sounds good.] Rightly said trswifey
! :)

A few of the above posts in this thread are a glaring example of their success, complete ignorance of history and of those who did harm!

#40 ·
I remember it differently, granted this was a few years ago and my memory fails me at times...

Most of my HS classes were logical, 1+1=2, 1+1= anything else is incorrect. The only "thinking" classes were one religion class (where I was scolded a lot for raising too many questions) and one literature class where we were encouraged to be creative. My first run through "college" was the same. My second run through college, in the 1990's was different. I took mostly engineering courses where the answer might not be so cut and dry. 1=1 might equal 4... for a sufficiently large enough value of one! (math joke, sorry.) In doing proofs for calculus, everyone in the class could have a different equation for an answer, and we all would be correct. It was all theoretical. Several of us took our answers to a question one time and spent an afternoon trying to get them to match, couldn't do it. Anyone, but the original person with that answer, could not even get the answer back to the original equation! We agreed that the person with the answer did get it correct, but could not get any other, from the answer, back to match it. It was about that time I switched to accounting. Two lists of numbers, they either match or you have a difference, pretty cut and dry. You can put them in any column you like, but you start with 100, you end up with 100, just in different columns. This is where statistics became fun, it could be a good 100 or a bad 100, it only mattered which column you put it in.

But back OT. All made me think, use my brain. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B". Well, first I know what the object is. Then how far from A to B, what is available to help move it......... It sounds like today there would be a touchy feely element added. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B", but Billy is sensitive and really wants it to stay here, Compromise with Billy and ask if it is alright if you move the object first.

#41 ·
I remember it differently, granted this was a few years ago and my memory fails me at times...

Most of my HS classes were logical, 1+1=2, 1+1= anything else is incorrect. The only "thinking" classes were one religion class (where I was scolded a lot for raising too many questions) and one literature class where we were encouraged to be creative. My first run through "college" was the same. My second run through college, in the 1990's was different. I took mostly engineering courses where the answer might not be so cut and dry. 1=1 might equal 4... for a sufficiently large enough value of one! (math joke, sorry.) In doing proofs for calculus, everyone in the class could have a different equation for an answer, and we all would be correct. It was all theoretical. Several of us took our answers to a question one time and spent an afternoon trying to get them to match, couldn't do it. Anyone, but the original person with that answer, could not even get the answer back to the original equation! We agreed that the person with the answer did get it correct, but could not get any other, from the answer, back to match it. It was about that time I switched to accounting. Two lists of numbers, they either match or you have a difference, pretty cut and dry. You can put them in any column you like, but you start with 100, you end up with 100, just in different columns. This is where statistics became fun, it could be a good 100 or a bad 100, it only mattered which column you put it in.

But back OT. All made me think, use my brain. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B". Well, first I know what the object is. Then how far from A to B, what is available to help move it......... It sounds like today there would be a touchy feely element added. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B", but Billy is sensitive and really wants it to stay here, Compromise with Billy and ask if it is alright if you move the object first.
Yeah, I think you have pretty much nailed it. One of the biggest problems I have with the public school system now is the whole Common Core thing. I can't get over the fact that in math class for 3rd and 4th graders, there is now a swing from focusing on getting the math correct to using a particular "strategy" or "method" to solve a problem. I was actually told by a teacher that for some sections, whether my son got the answer correct was not the goal of the math problem. I thought that was kind of the point of the math.... get it correct (2+2=4) or get it incorrect (2+2=22).

It is also mind-numbing how they can make a three digit addition problem (150+150=?) and some how make it require 9 steps to solve including a drawing and an interpretation of the drawing.

I have a degree in optical physics and a co-major in philosophy, and that's a little abstract even for me.

""The education system in our nation was a target… no need to dredge up 100 years of history (research it on your own, many books detail it).""

Oh, I 100% agree about the Dept. of Education being a target. The progressives found out early on what kind of havoc they can sow by tweaking with the juvenile demographic of a population. I knew a guy in my home town that was a member of the Hitler youth in Nazi Germany growing up. It wasn't because he was ideologically aligned with them.... It was jut what you did back then....

Frightening the things we will accept as "cultural norms" when pre-conditioned to do so.

Heck, even Karl Marx saw the absolute opportunity for social engineering that education systems afford and he spoke about the fact in his Manifesto. Also, Elton Trueblood wrote about the danger of Americans allowing the Education system (both public and university) slip out of their control in his AWESOME book Declaration of Freedom.

Okay... enough rambling for tonight....

:soapbox2:

#42 ·
It is also mind-numbing how they can make a three digit addition problem (150+150=?) and some how make it require 9 steps to solve including a drawing and an interpretation of the drawing.
I saw a show on TV about that. It wasn't a huge long thing, maybe 10 minutes or so as I recall.

If you are adding say two 3 digit numbers, you break each one down into components first. They taught the children to take each number and break them into cubes or towers or something. Then they would take each component, count the blocks and if needed, move one to another tower. At the end they had a visual representation of the number that was the answer.

The rational was that they teach children to visualize each number as different components so they can grasp the concept of numbers. It avoided having them remember all the number tables, like 1+1=2, 1+2=3... After they have this concept down then they go back and teach them how to add like most of us did.

It seemed like really a waste of time because eventually these children WILL just have to know that 7+4=11, put a one down and carry a one to the ten's column anyway!

The professional being interviewed said it helped all students get a better grasp of number theory so they could move on.

For an example, they had a young child and the newsperson add some numbers on a blackboard. The reporter did it the old math way, stack them and add each column, putting a total at the bottom and carrying numbers over as needed. The child broke each number into visual cubes then put the cubes together, moving any as needed. Then she counted the towers/cubes of each and wrote the answer, which she did get correct but it took her a long time.

The child did not like the method. She said it was easy to get distracted because there was so much going on. And if she did not put the correct amount of cubes/towers where they belonged she would have to start over again. But she would never know unless she went back and recounted everything as a check. She liked the old method where she could see each number, it made more sense to her.

What I took away is they made it harder to start with, so that the old method would seem really easy. I do not know many young children anymore, so maybe many do really need to have a visual representation of something before they grasp the concept? We used to too! A is for Apple, B is for Ball... Then there was Sesame Street! Maybe they researched and found that method really worked better... "Brought to you by the number FOUR!" Four ducks... "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack." Four. Four Ducks.

I do remember it being a real pain to learn the times tables back then!!! But, today, from 1x1 to 10x10 is right there if needed, don't even have to think about it. All I have to do is remember having a nun stand by me and ask, "Mr. Woodchuck. What is 7 x 9?" And getting slapped upside the head if I hesitated or got it wrong!!! "SOMEONE didn't do their homework I see..." And we all knew who was staying after class and filling the chalk boards with the 7 times table.. over and over and over.... THEN.. Having to go home and explain to Mom & Dad why Sister Jean had me stay late.... Hey, I didn't need any more 'visualization' than that to just buckle down and LEARN it. LOL!!!

#43 ·
If you are adding say two 3 digit numbers, you break each one down into components first. They taught the children to take each number and break them into cubes or towers or something. Then they would take each component, count the blocks and if needed, move one to another tower. At the end they had a visual representation of the number that was the answer.

The rational was that they teach children to visualize each number as different components so they can grasp the concept of numbers. It avoided having them remember all the number tables, like 1+1=2, 1+2=3... After they have this concept down then they go back and teach them how to add like most of us did.

The professional being interviewed said it helped all students get a better grasp of number theory so they could move on.
1. A child should have a thorough understanding of what numbers represent LONG before anyone attempts to teach them "borrowing & carrying".

2. There are MANY tricks & techniques to help kids with memorizing their multiplication facts. Utilizing them will make it as quick & painless as possible & add a little fun & interest to it. For example, when trying to memorize multiples of 9, the numbers in the answer add up to 9 (9x7=63 & 6+3=9) and the first number in the answer is 1 less than the number you're multiplying by 9 (9x7=63 7-1=6). So to find the answer to 9x7, you could do 7-1=6 & 6+?=9 & come up with 63. Beats whipping out the fingers & toes! ;). Bonus points if the kid can tell you why it works!

#44 ·
PrepDerp, trust ME when I tell you atheists have done more harm and killed more than religion--Hitler with his millions, Moa with his 10s of millions are just 2 examples. Yes, Islam is making inroads to new thresholds of hurt to millions more now, but Islam is the spawn of Satan.

Jesus is the One that can give you a new life, if only you would ask Him into your heart.

#45 ·
Confusion

1. A child should have a thorough understanding of what numbers represent LONG before anyone attempts to teach them "borrowing & carrying".

2. There are MANY tricks & techniques to help kids with memorizing their multiplication facts. Utilizing them will make it as quick & painless as possible & add a little fun & interest to it. For example, when trying to memorize multiples of 9, the numbers in the answer add up to 9 (9x7=63 & 6+3=9) and the first number in the answer is 1 less than the number you're multiplying by 9 (9x7=63 7-1=6). So to find the answer to 9x7, you could do 7-1=6 & 6+?=9 & come up with 63. Beats whipping out the fingers & toes! ;). Bonus points if the kid can tell you why it works!
That is very confusing. They just need to memorize the multiplication tables. Functional mathematics, are necessary to survival.

#46 ·
PrepDerp, trust ME when I tell you atheists have done more harm and killed more than religion--Hitler with his millions, Moa with his 10s of millions are just 2 examples. Yes, Islam is making inroads to new thresholds of hurt to millions more now, but Islam is the spawn of Satan.

Jesus is the One that can give you a new life, if only you would ask Him into your heart.
Hahaha! Why does it matter what someone believed or didn't believe? Those people are evil but so are the kkk, al queda, Isis, black Muslims (a hate group) and it's really weird to believe you can be redeemed by someone else's suffering. If I shot someone and I was going to jail, but some random guy volunteered to take a bullet in place of me going to prison that would be stupid! We don't even know if Jesus is real or not!

#47 ·
Hahaha! Why does it matter what someone believed or didn't believe? Those people are evil but so are the kkk, al queda, Isis, black Muslims (a hate group) and it's really weird to believe you can be redeemed by someone else's suffering. If I shot someone and I was going to jail, but some random guy volunteered to take a bullet in place of me going to prison that would be stupid! We don't even know if Jesus is real or not!
You need to brush up on your history and your Bible. The Great Deluged happened! So why not other events/facts in the Bible being true?!

Plus the true child of God knows in their heart Jesus is their true savior.

#49 ·
That is very confusing. They just need to memorize the multiplication tables. Functional mathematics, are necessary to survival.
Math, my pet peeve with dumbed down kids today. I try to avoid a pocket full of ones and to much change. Example, at a store I would pay for, say a, $7.00+ purchase with a $10 bill, 2, $1 bills and say 50 cents. My change would be a $5 bill and a couple of coins.

Kids behind the register always give me a blank uncomprehending look when I do this. Sometimes they might even try to take the $10 for payment and slide the ones and change back before opening the register… They don't get it! They are incapable of doing simple math in their head.

One memorable occasion, I made a small purchase at the local grocery. It was $12… something… I gave the kid a $20 and 3 ones. He had a "deer in the headlights" meltdown look on his face.

He entered $23 in the register, the draw opened. He stood there, looks at me, looks at the register… several times. I finally had to tell him to give me a $10, a dime, a nickel and 2 pennies. He still had a shocked look but counted out the amount the register told him.

Then his look was even more astonished! He said, "How did you know that? OMG, YOU'RE PHYSIC! He said it loud! People several registers over stopped and looked at me! LOL

I said "No, its simple math I learned in the 4th grade!" He said "We didn't learn that". I asked "What did they teach you?" He said "How to live life!"

The mangers office was directly behind me, I pointed at it with my thumb. I asked "If you can't do simple math how do you know the guy in that office is paying you what you're owed?"

He looked at me like I was dumb and said "It says on the check what I'm supposed to get!" At this point I walked out shaking my head. At 18 this kid was already damaged beyond repair!

A week later I went to the same store, slow day. That same kid was talking to another kid at one of the registers… When he saw me I actually heard him say to the other kid… "That's him, that's him, the physic guy I was telling you about!"

This is what our tax dollars pay for!:gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.