Prepared Society Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
My grand kids teachers hate to see me or my son come to ANY and all meetings. When they said my grandson should be held back in first grade because he couldn't tie his shoe,I said"Lady he has velcro as do most of the kids in here.But sat him down while she was talking to my daughter in law and taught him right then and there to tie his shoe.Then she said "well he can't read"....???? My question was....and what is YOUR job as a teacher?? Needless to say she was Pi$$ed off but he made it to the first grade.
Teaching a child everything they need to know is solely the responsibility of the parent. The parent may choose to enlist the help of others but they are still solely responsible for what their child learns. Too many parents blame others when their child doesn't know what he needs to know.

·
1,084 Posts
Yeah, this is where the parent exercises their rights and opts their kid out of that class into a study hall. Your child doesn't HAVE to sit through a religion class if that's how they're going to teach it. Social studies is one thing, but just do a quick touch on the MAJOR differences between the world's major religions and move on. The in-depth study of each belief should be saved for a college level course. If they won't "let" you take your son out I would go to the class and sit in on it every single day. When the teacher presents something you disagree with I'd interrupt and stand and debate the point with her/him. I'd take up huge chunks of class time being a gigantic pain in the behind until the teacher either changed their presentation or they let me take my kid out of the class. I'd also be sure to use the words civil rights and attorney and law suit a lot in conversations with teachers, principals, superintendent and board members. It's amazing how effective that is. ;)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I used the link you provided and found the PP presentation. Did you realize that you could edit that presentation from the provided link? :eek:

Go for it. Let us know how that works out.
... and download it as a .pdf and attach it here ...

Like-so-

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
If they won't "let" you take your son out I would go to the class and sit in on it every single day. When the teacher presents something you disagree with I'd interrupt and stand and debate the point with her/him. I'd take up huge chunks of class time being a gigantic pain in the behind until the teacher either changed their presentation or they let me take my kid out of the class. I'd also be sure to use the words civil rights and attorney and law suit a lot in conversations with teachers, principals, superintendent and board members. It's amazing how effective that is. ;)
I cringed every time you said "let". I can't imagine someone telling me he won't "let" me take my child out of a class. I can't see any way of that situation not ending badly. Mamma bear would come out & I shutter to think. No ma'am. Parents don't have a hair on their a$$es anymore to put up with the public schools telling them what they will & won't do with their kids.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update after conference...

Okay, I wanted to give you guys an update....

I met with Connor's teacher and two assistant principals last week on Thursday. There is both good and bad news to report on this, I suppose. The good news, if you can call it that, is that once I read a small sample of the material from the islamkids website to the assistant principals, they both reacted with basically the same kind of outrage that I (and most of you guys) did. I got about 2 sentences into the sample I had printed out and the Assistant principals both were already saying it was inappropriate material, inappropriate tone, and never should have made it in front of sixth graders. They both assured me that the website would be pulled from the assignment and none of the material from it would be used on any kind of test or assignment from here on out.

Now, for the bad news.... When I brought up the islamkids website, neither the teacher nor the assistant principals had even taken the time to look through the site at all. Apparently, the school system has an automated screening program that is designed to pick out certain words and combinations of words that will flag a site as inappropriate. The teacher assumed that since this website did not get flagged by the automatic screening program, that it was "okay" to use.

The fact that these kids are being turned loose online for their instruction and they are using material that no one has actually checked is a real problem. I let the administrators know that I was not satisfied with that and if they planned to continue that method of "screening" then Connor would be prohibited from participating in the online material and they would need to provide a different method of instruction. The automated "screening" program has been removed and it is now necessary for any and all web material to be directly approved by the teacher in the classroom as well as at least one AP level administrator.

Another shocking aspect of this is there were apparently no other parents who contacted the school concerning this website. Given the nature of the material, I can only conclude that no other parent actually took the time to read it.

So, a good outcome, relatively speaking. I think the take away from this incident for all of my fellow parents out there is that if your kids are in public schools, then we have got to be active in every aspect of their instruction. It's not enough anymore to trust that the system is going to do what it was originally designed and intended to accomplish.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I think the take away from this incident for all of my fellow parents out there is that if your kids are in public schools, then we have got to be active in every aspect of their instruction. It's not enough anymore to trust that the system is going to do what it was originally designed and intended to accomplish.
DM, kudos to you for following through on all of this. I think a lot of parents are overwhelmed by that prospect, and some are simply afraid to rock the boat. Many don't realize how vigilant parents need to be.

I homeschool our youngest (the oldest two were public schooled and homeschooled, and are now in college). So often I hear people say they couldn't homeschool, it would be too hard. Honestly, I found it more exhausting to keep track of what someone else was teaching my children. Being in charge of my children's curriculum can have its challenges, of course, but in many ways it's simpler and less frustrating/exhausting. And peace of mind is a gift.

I am not painting a broad brush in being critical of teachers. On the contrary, I could never do what they do, with a classroom full of children. I won't hijack this thread by commenting on what is happening to the teaching profession and what challenges teachers face - that's another topic. I just want to make clear that my advocation of homeschooling is not a criticism of teachers in general. ;)

It seems that your son's teacher made a human mistake - she trusted a checking system that cleared the website, rather than checking the website herself. Just goes to show, even when there is no agenda involved, a parent must always remain vigilant.

·
Banned
82 Posts
This is why I wish my son was being homeschooled, and why this may happend a lot sooner than I had planned.

In sixth grade, they are going over world religions. I just got a look at the powerpoint presentation for Islam, the last religion covered.

I could literally feel my blood pressure rising. I have stated before that I am an adult Sunday school teacher, and have been researching other religions for quite a while now in preparation for a class I am teaching on the subject.

My son is bing taught that Islam is "founded" in Judaism and Christianity. And that Islam is the next step in the progression of religions.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...ohxNJ8zJEQNHugQXOin19l-L0O4/edit#slide=id.p29

That is his teacher's website. I don't know how to get the powerpoint slides to copy and paste, but I am working on it. You won't believe what you see, especially when what has been taught about the other religions is taken into context. This one powerpoint pres has over 20 slides. That's more information than the entire sections on Hinduism and Buddhism combined.
We'll I personally think that teacher is wrong, the religion is based in
Judaism but IS NOT a progressive
religion.it is racist, sexist and controlling and while I have nothing against religious people, I DESPISE religion that harms people, and hurtful and judgemental religion. I hate Islam and fundamentalism,

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
We'll I personally think that teacher is wrong, the religion is based in
Judaism but IS NOT a progressive
religion.it is racist, sexist and controlling and while I have nothing against religious people, I DESPISE religion that harms people, and hurtful and judgemental religion. I hate Islam and fundamentalism,
Okay, This shows how young you really are. You say you Despise the very acts you are committing.
:scratch

·
Banned
82 Posts
Okay, This shows how young you really are. You say you Despise the very acts you are committing.

:scratch
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has. I'm not saying all religion I just said harmful and hurtful religion

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has. I'm not saying all religion I just said harmful and hurtful religion
Yeah, no. My Grandfather had a saying he liked to say to us kids, "A man is only worth as much as his word is true."

I don't 'trust' attention whores who only post to forums to stir sh*t and not share anything of true merit.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Yeah, no. My Grandfather had a saying he liked to say to us kids, "A man is only worth as much as his word is true."

I don't 'trust' attention whores who only post to forums to stir sh*t and not share anything of true merit.
I'm not even bothering trying to sympathize and understand that sort of thinking. Just, no.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
"Trust you"? I don't think so. I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of the issue, let alone an unbiased one. Even if you did, people shouldn't just "trust you", they should think for themselves and do the research themselves.

As to the harm caused by atheists, start with Stalin, Hitler and Mao. Look up the Holodomor, the Holocaust, the Great Chinese famine etc, don't "trust me" or anyone else for that matter, look it up for yourself.

·
Banned
82 Posts
"Trust you"? I don't think so. I doubt you have a comprehensive understanding of the issue, let alone an unbiased one. Even if you did, people shouldn't just "trust you", they should think for themselves and do the research themselves.

As to the harm caused by atheists, start with Stalin, Hitler and Mao. Look up the Holodomor, the Holocaust, the Great Chinese famine etc, don't "trust me" or anyone else for that matter, look it up for yourself.
Hitler was not an atheist and you're argument is ridiculous, the crusades, holocaust, Islamic terror, catholic rape scandal, 9/11, the WBC, the war on terror, the civil war, the revolutionary war, just to name a few

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Hitler was not an atheist

Right, so I suppose you think he was a Christian and I should "trust you":rolleyes:, tell that to Goebbels.

and you're argument is ridiculous, the crusades, holocaust, Islamic terror, catholic rape scandal, 9/11, the WBC, the war on terror, the civil war, the revolutionary war, just to name a few
Leaving aside Hitler, The Holodomor= 2,500,000- 7,000,000 lives, The great Chinese famine= far more than 15,000,000 possibly as high as 70,000,000 lives.

Anyways, this is straying from the O.T to a strictly religious argument. That's what happens when people make uninformed provocative statements like;
Trust me religion has done a lot more bad for the world than atheism ever has.
I will leave this thread alone now, just had to call B.S on your original statement.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
So, a good outcome, relatively speaking. I think the take away from this incident for all of my fellow parents out there is that if your kids are in public schools, then we have got to be active in every aspect of their instruction. It's not enough anymore to trust that the system is going to do what it was originally designed and intended to accomplish.
So the people you entrust your child's education to basically told you it never occurred to them that they should actually read the references first before presenting them as fact & giving kids access to them? :scratch. What college did she go to? Total BS. They fed you a line of crap to get you to go away.

The system does EXACTLY what it was designed to do, make the people easy to control. One of the ways they do it is to not teach logic so the student has no objective means of evaluating information. Without those skills, they can be easily lead around by their emotions & made to believe anything that sounds good.

DM, I hate to break it to you but that's NOT good. Not at all.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Okay, I wanted to give you guys an update....

Now, for the bad news.... When I brought up the islamkids website, neither the teacher nor the assistant principals had even taken the time to look through the site at all. Apparently, the school system has an automated screening program that is designed to pick out certain words and combinations of words that will flag a site as inappropriate. The teacher assumed that since this website did not get flagged by the automatic screening program, that it was "okay" to use.
I'm going to have to give this a "HUH???" also.

First, in the 1960's and 1970's public school NEVER had any courses on any kind of religion. There were no you have to like these people because... or you have to hate these people because... No touchy feely kind of be tolerant of these people because....

It was Math, English, Biology... Although I do not have first hand knowledge of this!!! I went to a private Catholic school and we DID have religious instruction every day. All my friends went to public schools (as did one sister of mine) and it never came up. At a Catholic school we NEVER had any classes on other religions. If ever a place was to have something on another religion, I would think this would be the place for it? You know, we are right and they are wrong because... We will go to Heaven and they won't because... Kind of thing.

It is no wonder the first year of college courses are so basic. They have to make up for all the time public schools wasted time trying to make good citizens rather than educate young adults.

Don't believe me? Next time you checkout from a store, tell the cashier you have the wrong change. They will look flustered and check the screen. "No, you gave me a $20 and it says I owe you $3.42 back" "Well, my total was $16.58, could you count the change back to me?" You will most likely get a manager called over and even they might have a hard time taking your total and adding the change you hold onto the total of your purchase to come to $20. Ok, Your total is $16.58. To pennies makes $16.60, a dime makes it $16.70, nickel $16.75.....

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think you guys are correct when you say that teachers and administrators not checking content first before allowing kids to access it is a real problem. But I don't think it's a problem that originates with the teachers. I think this is an issue that really rests in the administration level of the school district and possible state Department of Education.

The way this system operates is as follows:

1) The state BOE sets up a program designed to "screen" web content to prevent access to "offensive and age-inappropriate materials" (we can have the discussion about whether this is a judgment call we should let the DoEd make with concern to our kids)

2) Teachers wanting to use web sites pass them through the "screening" program and get an output.

3) If the site passes the program, they are cleared to use it in class.

The problem is that the teacher themselves aren't questioning the system. No one is checking to see what content that "screening" program is putting through. Whether this is apathy, laziness, or collusion is really a question I can't answer at this point. I think, though, that a best case scenario is teachers feel complacent in trusting the system to do their thinking for them (definitely NOT the attitude I want my son to learn, by the way).

I have put in requests to see this "screening" program in action to the CMS board of education. However, our board of education is currently in such a state of chaos that they can't even keep a superintendent for more than about 18 months, so I have very conservative expectations where that is concerned. If I don't get results with the local board, though, I already know who to go to at the state level.

Having grown up with a parent who is a teacher, and has been a teach for the past 27 years, the last thing I wanted to do is go in and nail the teachers butt to the wall if she didn't deserve it. And, to be honest, reading the reactions of all involved none of them were a willing and active participant.

I can tell you this, the website was taken down that night, and hasn't appeared on any CMS content website that I've seen since. I have been keeping an eye on each and every assignment since this incident, and have seen nothing to raise similar red flags. I still think the bigger point here, bigger even than the content of the website, was the lack of response on the part of other parents. I mean, for Pete's sake, I work 45+ hours a week at an hourly rate job, and I found time to check up on this stuff and go talk to someone about it.... Not one other parent even lodged a complaint.

The Department of Education is just like any other incarnation of our government. They couldn't get away with the things they get away with if they didn't have the absolute apathy of the average American to count on. And that is just sad.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The Department of Education is just like any other incarnation of our government. They couldn't get away with the things they get away with if they didn't have the absolute apathy of the average American to count on. And that is just sad.
The education system in our nation was a target… no need to dredge up 100 years of history (research it on your own, many books detail it).

[The system does EXACTLY what it was designed to do, make the people easy to control. One of the ways they do it is to not teach logic so the student has no objective means of evaluating information. Without those skills, they can be easily lead around by their emotions & made to believe anything that sounds good.] Rightly said trswifey
! :)

A few of the above posts in this thread are a glaring example of their success, complete ignorance of history and of those who did harm!

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I remember it differently, granted this was a few years ago and my memory fails me at times...

Most of my HS classes were logical, 1+1=2, 1+1= anything else is incorrect. The only "thinking" classes were one religion class (where I was scolded a lot for raising too many questions) and one literature class where we were encouraged to be creative. My first run through "college" was the same. My second run through college, in the 1990's was different. I took mostly engineering courses where the answer might not be so cut and dry. 1=1 might equal 4... for a sufficiently large enough value of one! (math joke, sorry.) In doing proofs for calculus, everyone in the class could have a different equation for an answer, and we all would be correct. It was all theoretical. Several of us took our answers to a question one time and spent an afternoon trying to get them to match, couldn't do it. Anyone, but the original person with that answer, could not even get the answer back to the original equation! We agreed that the person with the answer did get it correct, but could not get any other, from the answer, back to match it. It was about that time I switched to accounting. Two lists of numbers, they either match or you have a difference, pretty cut and dry. You can put them in any column you like, but you start with 100, you end up with 100, just in different columns. This is where statistics became fun, it could be a good 100 or a bad 100, it only mattered which column you put it in.

But back OT. All made me think, use my brain. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B". Well, first I know what the object is. Then how far from A to B, what is available to help move it......... It sounds like today there would be a touchy feely element added. Problem: move an object from point "A": to point "B", but Billy is sensitive and really wants it to stay here, Compromise with Billy and ask if it is alright if you move the object first.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.