Prepared Society Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I wish my son was being homeschooled, and why this may happend a lot sooner than I had planned.

In sixth grade, they are going over world religions. I just got a look at the powerpoint presentation for Islam, the last religion covered.

I could literally feel my blood pressure rising. I have stated before that I am an adult Sunday school teacher, and have been researching other religions for quite a while now in preparation for a class I am teaching on the subject.

My son is bing taught that Islam is "founded" in Judaism and Christianity. And that Islam is the next step in the progression of religions.

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...ohxNJ8zJEQNHugQXOin19l-L0O4/edit#slide=id.p29

That is his teacher's website. I don't know how to get the powerpoint slides to copy and paste, but I am working on it. You won't believe what you see, especially when what has been taught about the other religions is taken into context. This one powerpoint pres has over 20 slides. That's more information than the entire sections on Hinduism and Buddhism combined.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Text from the powerpoint slides....

​
Islam→An Abrahamic
Religion
Muslims are strict monotheists.

They believe in the Judeo-
Christian God, which they call

Allah

Muslims believe that the Torah

and the
Bible, like the Qur'an,
is the word of God.

Peoples of the Book​
The Prophetic
Tradition
Adam
Noah
Abraham
Moses
Jesus

Muhammad
The Origins of the
Qur'an

Muhammad received his first
revelation from the angel
Gabriel in the
Cave of Hira in 610.

622 Hijrah Muhammed
flees Mecca for Medina.

The beginning of the
Muslim calendar (
1 A.H.)

Muhammad's revelations were
compiled into the
Qur'an after
his death.

The
Qur'an

Muslims believe it contains the
word of God.

114 suras (chapters).

In the name of Allah,
the compassionate,
the merciful.

Written
in Arabic.

1. The
Shahada

The testimony.

The declaration of faith:

There is no god worthy
of
worship except God, and
Muhammad is His
Messenger [or Prophet].
2. The
Salat

The mandatory prayers
performed 5 times a day:

dawn

noon

late afternoon

sunset

before going to bed

Wash before praying.

Face Mecca and use a prayer rug.

2. The
Salat

The call to prayer by the

muezzin
in the minaret.

Pray in the mosque on Friday.

3. The
Zakat

Almsgiving (charitable
donations).

Muslims believe that all things
belong to God.

Zakat means both "purification"
and "growth."

About 2.5% of your income.

4. The
Sawm

Fasting during the holy month
of
Ramadan.

Considered a method of selfpurification.

No eating or drinking from
sunrise to sunset during

Ramadan.​
Eid Mubarak
End of the
Ramadan holiday.

5. The
Hajj

The pilgrimage to Mecca.

Must be done at least once in
a Muslim's lifetime.

2-3 million Muslims make the
pilgrimage
every
year.

5. The
Hajj

Those who complete the
pilgrimage can add the title

hajji
to their name.

The
Dar al-Islam

1 2 3 4 5​
The World
of Islam
The Mosque
The Muslim place of worship.

The Dome of the Rock
Mosque in Jerusalem
Mount Moriah Rock​
where Muhammad ascended into heaven.​
Other Islamic Religious
Practices
Up to four wives allowed at once.

No alcohol or pork.

No gambling.

Sharia body of Islamic law to
regulate daily living.

Three holiest cities in Islam:

Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem.

The Spread of Islam
Easy to learn and practice.

No priesthood.

Teaches equality.

Non-Muslims, who were "Peoples of
the Book,"
were allowed religious
freedom, but paid additional taxes.

Easily "portable" nomads & trade
routes.

Jihad ("Holy War") against pagans
and other non-believers ("infidels").

Muslims in the World
Today
Countries with the
Largest Muslim
Population
1.Indonesia 183,000,000 6.Iran 62,000,000
2.Pakistan 134,000,000 7.Egypt 59,000,000
3.India 121,000,000 8.Nigeria 53,000,000
4.Bangladesh 114,000,000 9.Algeria 31,000,000
5.Turkey 66,000,000 10.Morocco 29,000,000
Arabs make up only 20% of the total
Muslim population of the world.

Muslims in America

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I used the link you provided and found the PP presentation. Did you realize that you could edit that presentation from the provided link? :eek:

Go for it. Let us know how that works out.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I dont even know where to start on that but I'll just say that they DO NOT believe in the "Judeo-Christian God", they just loosely fashioned theirs after him, tailored it to their own liking and pasted their own name on it.

·
Supporting Member
746 Posts
Is this actually what parents expect their children to be taught in a public school? I would think it better if they were to learn about their elected officials, how the judicial process in America works (or is supposed to work) how to balance a checkbook, how the FED works, the constitution, the true effect of illegal immigration, the constant abuse of property rights by the Federal Government and what they (as young citizens) can do to stop it, etc, etc...

But world religions? I think not.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Is this actually what parents expect their children to be taught in a public school? I would think it better if they were to learn about their elected officials, how the judicial process in America works (or is supposed to work) how to balance a checkbook, how the FED works, the constitution, the true effect of illegal immigration, the constant abuse of property rights by the Federal Government and what they (as young citizens) can do to stop it, etc, etc...

But world religions? I think not.
Never heard my kids mention religion was talked about at school.

As for the government, balance the checkbook, constitution... I know that's covered in school but they get taught the correct info AT HOME.

Actually, our school leans pretty much to the right. A benefit of being in a quasi-rural area with a relatively small school. Heck, remember when Obama did that live streaming "talk" to school kids all over the Country when he first started? Our school wouldn't show it.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
If that was presented in my children's schools I would once again become "that parent". Just like I was when my (at the time) 6th grader received a C+ on an excellent paper on 9/11 where the teacher corrected his indication that the tragedy was imagined and carried out by Islamic terrorists. She informed him that we could not be certain that it had anything to do with Islam and that the terrorists association with the Islamic religion had never been proven. To keep a long story short, upon independent review from a more experienced high school teacher he ended up with an A. The younger teacher's contract was not renewed at the end of the school year. But that was due in large part to her announcement that if any of her students parents were not voting for Obama they apparently did not love America and were "part of the problem".

·
883 Posts
“My son is bing taught that Islam is "founded" in Judaism and Christianity. And that Islam is the next step in the progression of religions.”

YIKES :eek:

Indoctrinating children to believe the lie.

Galatians 4 - simply lays out the truth about the two Covenants and draws a clear distinction between the children of promise and the son of the bondwoman citing how the bondwoman’s son is not, nor shall ever be, heir to the promise (vs. 28-31).

Genesis 16 reveals how Hagar (Sarai’s Egyptian maidservant) after she conceived Ishmael, fled from Sarai’s presence after she was chastised for her despising attitude toward Sarai. Further, it lays out how her son would become a ‘wild’ man with his hand against every man and every man’s hand against him dwelling in the presence of all his brethren (Gen.16:12)

Islam is founded in the flesh.
Christ is found in the spirit.

·
Not so new
581 Posts
The "train" is rolling faster and faster every day.Most people don't have time or care as long as they can take the kids to soccer ,or watch the ball games on TV,go to work,and keep up with the Jones.The only ones that care are doing our best to prepare,it just hard to try to teach the people we love around us what is going on,there is so many lies you don't trust anyone any more.Our government is tooooo busy stuffing their pockets before TSHTF to tell it like it is.When the SHTF it's going to be sooooo bad it will take us back over 100 years.Teach your children and friends that want to know and hope and pray that we can rebuild.Every day that you put a little something up is one day that will be the very thing you NEED to survive.Knowledge and wisdom will save you and your loved ones in the future,,,Pass it on!!!!!!!!!!And yes say your prayers as we sill sure need all the help we can get.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not realize you could edit the presentation from the link. I wonder if it would save to the server or not...

Either way, I'm not going to try and edit it. In fact, I am concerned that if I raise a stink (which I fully plan to) they will either edit the presentation or remove it. This is one reason I love the massive storage capability of very cheap thumb drives these days. I've already downloaded and preserved copies of this pres on 3 different flash drives.

And I do absolutely plan to have a long and thorough discussion with his teacher and the principal about this. I still can't believe the disparity of information among the religions they've covered. For Christianity, he read three work sheets online, took some notes, and made a brochure about it. For Judaism, he wrote down notes from 13 slides (mostly historical information, very little connection to the religion itself), wrote a journal entry from the perspective of a slave in Egypt (and included allusions to Moses and the upheaval he must have caused with the plagues.... bravo, buddy!), and made a boardgame.

There is more information in the power point presentation on Islam than in the entire week long section they covered on Judaism.

Looks like next week is going to be an interesting one for me. And it's my birthday on Monday.... woo hoo! haha.

·
267 Posts
When I was in school I don't think we ever talked about the religions and with the PC police you'd think this would be a no no . Can it be if they like it it's OK and so we have a big problem . Cramming our kids young skulls full of mush with this junk has a purpose and along with common core we'll have the most dumbed down population on the planet . What a noble cause for a teacher to aspire to or the principle that wants to call your kids purple penguins instead of boys and girls . If parents don't wake and start going to board meetings to confront this crap we're heading for dark waters as a people and a country.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
If parents don't wake and start going to board meetings to confront this crap we're heading for dark waters as a people and a country.
The time for that has long been gone and it's not just the responsibility of parents to police the schools but ALL citizens. They work for all of us.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Most people don't have time or care as long as they can take the kids to soccer ,or watch the ball games on TV,go to work,and keep up with the Jones.
For most parents, kids are like dolls that you put on the shelf while they're busy doing what they want to do. They have their careers, their gated community, & the latest gadgets & gizmos & couldn't care less what price their kids have to pay for them to have it. Selfishness. Pure selfishness. Kids raised right don't care about stuff, they value relationships & connection & time spent together. So sad that so many spend so much of their focus on the short term gratification instead of the long term satisfaction of living a life focused on home & family.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
My son is bing taught that Islam is "founded" in Judaism and Christianity. And that Islam is the next step in the progression of religions.
For every rat you see, there's ten you don't. If we were a fly on the wall at any public school what we saw being taught would make us fuming mad.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Mohamed

Mohamed married a six year old but charitably waited until she reached the ripe old age of nine to rape her.

Now that is a prophet of God ?

I'll just take my chances with Christ and Mohamed and Allah can go sling hash in hell .

·
Never Quite Fit In
46 Posts
Whether or not you actually agree about her views on Islam, her ability to teach world religions is pretty skewed.

I had that class in high school, with my parents' permission and after a clear warning that the class was NOT about choosing a religion; it was about studying the beliefs of various people. The teacher did a pretty fair job. She drew up a list of topics: Basic beliefs (handouts from the places of worship, not her opinions), main religious laws, methods of worship. Then she gave 3 selections from religious writings, like verses or prayers, that were considered essential by the religion's leaders. We also got a book list in case the class didn't cover a religion someone wanted to learn about (I got a lot of looks in that small predominately Catholic town when I got an interlibrary loan about Wicca). When we did our final presentations, we chose a religion that hadn't been covered and presented that same information about it.

That high school teacher was showing us religion is a belief system and spiritual framework, but also a cultural influence we need to understand. She gave us a way to evaluate religious differences with an emphasis on learning rather than judging. That's how you teach about religions. "The best religion" is a decision made by the child's family and the child himself.

I personally think everybody in the world should be Christian, but if a Buddhist child's family found me advocating that in a classroom they would have every right, IMHO, to have me fired for violating a basic principle our country was founded on. I do believe we covered that in fifth grade or thereabouts. Maybe your son's teacher ditched American Government in elementary, high school and college?

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
My beliefe

Whether or not you actually agree about her views on Islam, her ability to teach world religions is pretty skewed.

I had that class in high school, with my parents' permission and after a clear warning that the class was NOT about choosing a religion; it was about studying the beliefs of various people. The teacher did a pretty fair job. She drew up a list of topics: Basic beliefs (handouts from the places of worship, not her opinions), main religious laws, methods of worship. Then she gave 3 selections from religious writings, like verses or prayers, that were considered essential by the religion's leaders. We also got a book list in case the class didn't cover a religion someone wanted to learn about (I got a lot of looks in that small predominately Catholic town when I got an interlibrary loan about Wicca). When we did our final presentations, we chose a religion that hadn't been covered and presented that same information about it.

That high school teacher was showing us religion is a belief system and spiritual framework, but also a cultural influence we need to understand. She gave us a way to evaluate religious differences with an emphasis on learning rather than judging. That's how you teach about religions. "The best religion" is a decision made by the child's family and the child himself.

I personally think everybody in the world should be Christian, but if a Buddhist child's family found me advocating that in a classroom they would have every right, IMHO, to have me fired for violating a basic principle our country was founded on. I do believe we covered that in fifth grade or thereabouts. Maybe your son's teacher ditched American Government in elementary, high school and college?
My personal religion advocates a separation of church and state.

No religion should be advocated in a state run school . Nor should the free exercise of and child's religion be prohibited by a state run school.

·
Not so new
581 Posts
My grand kids teachers hate to see me or my son come to ANY and all meetings. When they said my grandson should be held back in first grade because he couldn't tie his shoe,I said"Lady he has velcro as do most of the kids in here.But sat him down while she was talking to my daughter in law and taught him right then and there to tie his shoe.Then she said "well he can't read"....???? My question was....and what is YOUR job as a teacher?? Needless to say she was Pi$$ed off but he made it to the first grade.

·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This one is WORSE!!

I have been digging into the "activities" up for the Islam section a little deeper. This is one of the other activities listed for "comparing Islam to Christianity".

I am stunned that this is being taught to 6th graders. Imagine the uproar if a teacher used the catechism to teach Christianity. This is pretty well equivalent.

http://www.islamkids.org/index.htm

I can't copy and post the content as this is an interactive training website. It is set up and designed to teach children the basics about their belief, assuming they are Muslim.

None of this is connected to historical or cultural elements, which is what the stated objectives of the class are geared towards. This is all straight Koranic theology.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
As a former public school teacher, some of my colleagues and I agreed that the ONLY way we could say "Jesus Christ" would be if we were swearing or using God's name in vain.

I had a principal who was New Age. Of all the BS we had to put up with, the lies, the manipulation, every subterfuge, every ruse, the worst was having to sit in her endless faculty meeting where she would tell us about her different religious stuff. She had some connections and if you did not go along with EVERYTHING she pedaled, you would find yourself out the door. I saw it many times. She talked about crystals, vibrations, drum circles, Bahai, Native American sweat lodges, astrology, curanderos, Our Lady of Guadalupe and as well as everything white people have done to wrong everyone else.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.