Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live along a somewhat busy county road; maybe 300-400 cars a day. About a mile down the road is a bridge that is getting a new deck, one side at a time. The other day they were pouring concrete for the new deck and the bridge was closed entirely from 9:00 AM till 6:00 Pm. I decided to stay home that day and work around here cleaning up the garden getting it ready to till under.
Our road has never been deserted like this. The quiet was deafening. I found myself thinking about how much noise I make around here and how much louder it seemed that day. I could hear a dog barking and there are no dogs but ours in the immediate area. I heard one of the barn cats sneaking up on me, the chickens clucking at 100yds away and a train rolling by on tracks that are about a mile and a half away. I really enjoyed the quiet but at the same time realized, if this would ever become the norm, simple things like splitting wood with a hammer and wedge or a maul would be heard by anyone within a half mile of us and draw them in.
The silence was quite pleasant but disconcerting at the same time.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
I used to carry an axe in my emergency kit then realized how far away you could hear one. We still have the axe but we also have a saw to stealth.

We average about four vehicles a day on our fork of the road. :D

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
I'm less then a mile from I-95, I would not know what that kind of quiet would be like.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Noise?

I take my hearing aids out and I'm alone in the world...lol.. well not that bad.. but out where my cabin is it's so quiet that even without the hearing aids i can here birds etc..
I use my dogs ears at night.. she rumbles and I wait to see if the door is getting ripped ofe the hinges.. Mr Sawed off needs exercise...

people used to be attuned to the forest sounds after I got here to TX I parked my trailer under some oak or some kind of nut tree and it scared the crap outta me with them falling on my roof.. even Molly was jumping up looking around.. was funny...kind of...

just think about no radios sounds or cars or jets trains... just pure nature... where a squirrel barking a 100 yds away meant "something" was moving about...

We will have a lot to relearn if / when the SHTF...

Hmmm... might make a good short story.. GypsySue.. your turn !!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
It's so quiet out here where we live that I can hear the gentle "Swish" of the breeze in the pine trees. I can hear mice in the woods scurrying under the leaves. I can almost hear the clouds drifting in the sky!

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
this reminds me of when I took a few friends camping...

when it was time to goto sleep, everyone looked apprehensive and finally someone asked "who's going to take 1st watch?" I laughed SO hard I hurt my stomach! They were worried that something could just sneak up & eat them or 'some psycho' could just happen by & kill us all in our sleep... I informed them that the woods are so full of critters that you can't move 5 feet without something hissing or growling or burping or farting at you & that anybody good enough to sneak through all of that has better training than any of us & could kill us whenever they wanted so worrying about it is pointless (yeah, I'm a bastard ;) ). I then proceeded to goto sleep (btw, I snore loudly & I don't give a crap :D ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts